• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

WR Tyler Boyd says that he would like to go to the Panthers

Dilla

7 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

He's much more than that. This guy is a legitimate playmaker and a perfect slot guy for our offense. Yes, he's not fast (4.61) but he's already a great route runner. This means he can play immediately for us. Boyd is aver real possibility for us in the 2nd round.

Exactly. A big body possession type guy. I really like Boyd don't get me wrong he snatches anything in his vicinity, his hands are like vice grips. But we already have two players in that mold that I really like

5 hours ago, ShutDwn said:

Name the top slot receivers that are the teams deep threats.

Speed goes outside to stretch the field. 

I said that can play slot, not a slot receiver. One of the problems we had against Denver is we had no quick passing game, everything was long developing. If we get a receiver I want one that can remedy that

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We had the best team in the NFL last year, but one of the worst WR corps.  Has just a few months of no football made most of you forget this?  Don't y'all remember drop after drop after drop?  A contributing factor to our SB loss was dropped balls and our WRs' inability to beat single coverage.  It allowed Denver to blitz with almost reckless abandon.

Not sure why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade this corp. I think you have to watch other games to get a feel for how pedestrian our WR Corp was last season. Mind you I think they played their hearts out, but they just aren't very talented for this level - as a group.

5 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We had the best team in the NFL last year, but one of the worst WR corps.  Has just a few months of no football made most of you forget this?  Don't y'all remember drop after drop after drop?  A contributing factor to our SB loss was dropped balls and our WRs' inability to beat single coverage.  It allowed Denver to blitz with almost reckless abandon.

35 TD passes. I'm sorry, who caught all of those? 

I am OK with the receiving corp as it's constituted now, provided that KB comes back and balls, and Funch starts (or at least gets in considerably more plays), and Hill actually becomes more than an idea or myth.

I will be pleased if we draft a playmaker with exceptional hands that runs consistently good routes and creates separation as a norm. Another legit threat to draw coverage and/or exploit single coverage would propel this team to juggernaut status.

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Should have been 50 (and a Super Bowl victory).

Great players don't drop the ball on the biggest stage.

Yup. Especially cotchery's drops in the SB were killers and that was with him being our most sure handed WR during the regular season. That's the difference between good and great players is how they perform when the brightest lights are shining and everythings on the line.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

35 TD passes. I'm sorry, who caught all of those? 

Only 22 by WRs.  Of those 22, Ginn caught 10 of them.

Our rag tag band of WRs out-performed our dismal expectations for them, but they were still one of the weakest WR corps in the NFL and definitely the weakest link of our offense.  

The Panthers were the highest scoring offense in 2015, but they really weren't an explosive offense - sans the back breaking runs of Cam. Many things can be attributed to having the highest scoring offense, including turnover differential.

big play WRs make an offense explosive. Not QB runs. 

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Only 22 by WRs.  Of those 22, Ginn caught 10 of them.

Our rag tag band of WRs out-performed our dismal expectations for them, but they were still one of the weakest WR corps in the NFL and definitely the weakest link of our offense.  

Seven TDs caught by OIsen, two TDs by Ed Dickson. We have incredible strength when it comes to our TEs and they are a MAJOR part of our receiving corps. Have to figure in that they are a big part of the game plan.

That leaves four touchdowns thrown to RBs.. one to Stewie and three to Tolbert. 

Considering how our offense plays and the 15-1 regular season record, we didn't leave much on the field. Or if we did, it sure didn't hurt us. And with KB returning, the WR spot isn't one where we should have any worries except to churn the lower end of the group a bit to keep it competitive.

Were there drops? Sure, all teams have them. Would they have all been touchdowns? Some folks certainly think so, but the odds say they wouldn't be.

11 hours ago, top dawg said:

I am OK with the receiving corp as it's constituted now, provided that KB comes back and balls, and Funch starts (or at least gets in considerably more plays), and Hill actually becomes more than an idea or myth.

I will be pleased if we draft a playmaker with exceptional hands that runs consistently good routes and creates separation as a norm. Another legit threat to draw coverage and/or exploit single coverage would propel this team to juggernaut status.

100% agree with you.  I am riding the Corey Coleman train right now.  I just think if he somehow falls to us, that he would make our offense almost unstoppable.  With a receiving corps of KB, Funchess, Ginn, Coleman, Olsen, and a fully developed Cam our offense will be like a runaway train that no defense has enough pieces to stop.  Each one of those receivers could legitimately demand a double team, but there aren't enough LB's and DB's to contain them all.  They would cover all levels, spreading the defense thin. 

Then you add in Cam's ability to run and nobody to shadow him, and you've got an offense that will keep the antacid companies in business for DC's.  And this isn't even taking into account how dangerous a healthy Stewart would be with a defense spread thin.  I just think adding an explosive piece like Coleman (Shepard wouldn't be a bad 2nd option) to our offense would be frightening for opposing defenses. 

Archived