• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The weird thing they put in next to the stadium

cookinwithgas

http://illumination.duke-energy.com/articles/is-etree-the-shape-of-things-to-come

6 ports, should be interesting to see how it's used on game day

Is eTree the shape of things to come?

Just what is that thing at the corner of Mint and Graham streets, across from Bank of America Stadium in Uptown Charlotte?

The metallic structure stands about 13 feet high and 14 feet wide and resembles a tree with solar panels for branches.

Offering a space to rest and recharge, the eTree represents the latest in outdoor lighting technology. One of two such eTrees in the United States, it employs solar panels mounted on "branches.” This solar power supplies six USB charging ports for mobile devices and provides free Wi-Fi for the surrounding area.

LED lights provide illumination in the dark, a bench offers seating in the shade of a solar panel on sunny days and an LCD screen displays information to help passersby learn more about the installation. It’s also connected to the power grid for when the sun isn’t shining.

dont-miss-a-thing-button2

David Hinkle, Duke Energy’s outdoor lighting strategy manager, is especially excited about its possibilities. “Smart Cities and the Internet of Things are creating a new arena for engaging our customers with fresh products,” Hinkle said.

“Our team is consistently exploring product and service offerings that bring together new and old technologies in innovative ways,” said Michael Luhrs, Duke Energy vice president of Retail Programs.

Duke Energy will continue to evaluate the potential to install eTrees in courtyards and parks and at schools in its service areas. Future eTrees may include a water fountain and deliver environmental and weather data. 

So, the next time you're roaming Uptown Charlotte and your cellphone is dead, or you need some quick Wi-fi, just head for that large metallic tree. You know, the one that looks like the future.

All that for 6 USB ports? Seriously? And who really needs wifi on a street corner? It's cool I guess but that seems like a tremendous waste of money for something that will see small usage. Last I checked solar panels were still pretty expensive though if Duke Energy is footing the bill for the whole thing and using it advertisement then whatever.

I know it's supposed to be artistic and all, but from a solar site assessment standpoint that is an extremely inefficient arrangement. Kind of a waste of money if you set them up all chaotically like that. Besides, North Carolina's climate isn't exactly ideal for solar power. Or wind for that matter. In fact, the only renewable source that's actually worth the money here is offshore wind, as strange as that sounds. Even hydro, king of renewable energy, only has good potential in the west of the state. Wave power has potential, but more research and development is needed.

In other words, that thing is a waste of money and would charge at least double (If not more) the amount of phones if it were arranged properly. They basically paid for a minimally functional array that simply looks nice. Our tax dollars at work, folks. Green energy is only awesome when sited and arranged properly, otherwise its simply a very expensive, barely functional conversation piece.

I honestly think this thing will cause crazy people to fight each other while they try to charge their phones.

David Newton will be on the scene to write a story about the fights and how they compare to the Cam/Josh "fight" during training camp.

Joe Person will walk between the fights while he's staring at his phone.

I have one usb solar panel about half the size of one of the leaves that works pretty well to charge a phone.

That said, I bet this tree costed duke $50,000 for maybe 100 watts.  Good for PR, I guess.  Our power bills at work.

Archived