• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dark Horse Pick: Shilique Calhoun

XClown1986

As we all know, Gettleman loves a good pass rusher. According to PFF, Calhoun was the best pass rusher in the FBS and it really wasn't debatable. He was average against the run, but really could gain about 10 pounds of muscle to help him in this area. 

All of us here agree that we need a DE and we hear names like Dodd and Ogbah being thrown around, but Calhoun is a guy that has gotten lost in the shuffle somehow. A year ago, if he had declared for the draft, he might have gone in the top 20. This season, it seems almost all pundits agree that he is a 2nd day prospect.

I think back to the selection of Shaq Thompson last year. Gettleman had Shaq as the top player on the board when we selected him in Round 1. It was universally agreed upon that not only was this pick a reach, but that it might have been a reach by 2 rounds. But it isn't about the analysts. It is about fit, player ability, and character. Calhoun checks off all of those boxes. He actually reminds me a bit of Osi Umenyiora (at least before the arrogance set in), and we all know where Osi played and where Gettleman worked during this time. 

I would not be AT ALL surprised to see Gettleman pull the trigger on Calhoun at 30, make everyone scratch their heads, and down the road look like a genius yet again. 

1 minute ago, XClown1986 said:

As we all know, Gettleman loves a good pass rusher. According to PFF, Calhoun was the best pass rusher in the FBS and it really wasn't debatable. He was average against the run, but really could gain about 10 pounds of muscle to help him in this area. 

All of us here agree that we need a DE and we hear names like Dodd and Ogbah being thrown around, but Calhoun is a guy that has gotten lost in the shuffle somehow. A year ago, if he had declared for the draft, he might have gone in the top 20. This season, it seems almost all pundits agree that he is a 2nd day prospect.

I think back to the selection of Shaq Thompson last year. Gettleman had Shaq as the top player on the board when we selected him in Round 1. It was universally agreed upon that not only was this pick a reach, but that it might have been a reach by 2 rounds. But it isn't about the analysts. It is about fit, player ability, and character. Calhoun checks off all of those boxes. He actually reminds me a bit of Osi Umenyiora (at least before the arrogance set in), and we all know where Osi played and where Gettleman worked during this time. 

I would not be AT ALL surprised to see Gettleman pull the trigger on Calhoun at 30, make everyone scratch their heads, and down the road look like a genius yet again. 

Dave doesn't draft based on need, A more likely darkhorse pick is on offense. 

He might fall in 3-4 OLB group that Gettleman talked about wanting other teams to draft in front of us so players that fit our scheme fall.

I'd be surprised if we draft at 250 lbs DE. Gettleman has historically targeted guys who fit the ideal height-weight prototype especially on the DL.

1 minute ago, XClown1986 said:

When need meets value according to the board, he does. It has been done with Star and Kelvin. It depends on how our board is set up.

Agree, but I beleive there will be a offensive player graded higher that meets the criteria of " need & value" 

7 minutes ago, XClown1986 said:

When need meets value according to the board, he does. It has been done with Star and Kelvin. It depends on how our board is set up.

For most teams, positional need is factored into a players grade. For example, for us a DE would get a slight bump up the board and a LB would get a slight bump down the board and they amount they move up or down would reflect how big a need a certain position is. I have no clue if we do that or not, but many supposed pure BPA teams have admitted that they do that and could explain why our picks almost always seems to correspond with a need.

Calhoun might be the best, yes the best, pure pass rusher in this draft.  Right now that is all he is.  He tries hard against the run but is just to little.  Most mocks have him anywhere from about 40 to the middle of the 3rd.  If you can get him to gain 15 to 20 lbs you have got a Demarcus Ware.  If he can't he is basically Mario Addison.  Ware is worth the 30th pick in the draft,  Addison is not.  It just depends on if the coaching staff fells like he can add 20lbs and keep that quickness and speed or not.

25 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

I haven't considered him at all for us.  He's not a 4-3 DE, he's a 3-4 OLB.  And why did he transfer...wasn't there some character issue?

Transfer ???  You sure you not thinking of Spence???  And he was a 4-3 DE and Michigan State.

Archived