• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the NFL Hates Us: The Story of Cam Newton, and the "Relevance" Factor

Saca312

You see it everywhere. Every comment section with something relevant to the Panthers in some small shape, way or form, every typical fan, your evil twin brother, they all have something in common. Panther hate.

"Cam's a crybaby wimp."

"Hope he's man enough to catch that fumble next time."

"Panthers were a one year wonder." 

"Broncos are so gud omg Panthers sux."

Everyone in the NFL seems to hate the Panthers. The Panthers, once known as the underdog, young, came-outta-nowhere team with a thing for having fun, became the villians and scum after yet a second Super Bowl loss. The heroes who were expected to triumph and take over the NFL with a stellar 18-1 record became the laughingstock of the whole NFL for, er, being human, and not some mindless fake P.O.S. to pacify the media.

Even Cam Newton, the clear-cut league MVP, was bashed over his way of handling his image to the media, being hated by everyone for "having fun." He's pretty much hated on the same level, if not greater, than Tom Brady or LeBron James. He's probably the most talked about and hated football player right now.

Now, you're probably sitting there thinking, "Why us? What did we do wrong?" (Or you could be jerking off to nippleshorts right now, no big deal. Who wouldn't?) 

image.jpeg

Well, what if I told you being hated was a GOOD thing? What if this hate we're getting is something we should be proud of? I know, half of you are like "what even is this," and half of you are like "no shiz dumazz, of korse weh new dat."

Well, it's definitely a good thing. And here's why:

It all begins with Cam and the Media

image.jpeg

Once upon a time, the Panthers were some hillbilly Carolina team from the south that no one knew about, or cared about. 99% of fans couldn't even tell you where the Panthers began, when, or where they even are today. The magical 2003 season came and went, and the Panthers were still quite the unknown team. That all changed when Cam Newton entered the scene.

Cam Newton was already a questionable figure coming into the 2011 draft. Reports of his "stolen laptop" and his father's involvement in some afdairs dominated the headlines. Analysts everywhere questioned Cam's ability as a quarterback. Many labeled him as just an "athletic person" who'd be a bust in the heat of the NFL. No one believed he'd be worthy of the number one pick, or worthy of being a relevant QB, in a draft class with "promising" QB's like Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, and Jake Locker. The Panthers shocked the media by ultimately picking Cam as the #1 pick in the 2011 draft.

Fast forward past Cam's stellar rookie season, and all around decent success, to the magical 2015 season. Things were looking dismal for the group, with Smitty long gone, and releasing DeAngelo that off-season. Then Kelvin Benjamin went down with a torn ACL, and things went down to rock bottom. The Panthers were predicted to be dead last in the NFC South, and no one expected them to be relevant whatsoever. Then in came Cam Newton.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Cam Newton dominated the league with 45 touchdowns, his dangerous run-game, and laser throws. He turned a group of "no-name" receivers into a juggernaut. He broke out into one of his best seasons yet, and the clear-cut MVP of the league. Leading the Panthers to a 15-1 record, Cam Newton did all that, while having fun. Making the dab popular, fans everywhere just loved the polarizing figure who just loved to have fun and give balls to kids, while the media sat there and bit their lips.

Fast forward to post-SuperBowl 50. The Panthers came out with a disappointing loss after a dominating performance by Denver's defenses. Our OLine was overwhelmed, causing Cam to throw fits. Cam came out Cam style, and left the media in the dust after the SuperBowl. And that's where the media comes in.

You see, the media never liked Cam Newton. This massive sized Linebacker---err, Quarterback, was never supposed to be successful. He was a thug. He was immature. He stole some stupid laptop. He would never learn to be a real quarterback. 

image.jpeg

Cam Newton came out and pissed on the media during his MVP season.

The media, now trying to find answers as to how Cam Newton became so successful. It's like trying to find logic as to how Donald Trump became the remaining Republic candidate in the presidental race, except Cam actually made sense, tho the media is blind to that. So instead of congratulating the clear-cut MVP with open arms, they decide to bash on the one thing that makes him and the Panthers different: their celebrations.

The year of the dab. The year of fun. The Panthers would have their trademark dances in place after dominating in nearly all their game. From Mike Tolbert's celebration, to Cam's first down stance and dab, the Panthers danced all around the other teams. They took early team photos after blowing out the Falcons, and just seemed like a happy bunch doing what they do best.

image.jpeg

The media just hated that. Nevermind the Panthers don't take cheap shots or try to hurt other players, because they're having fun. God forbid having fun in the "No-Fun-League." This was out of the ordinary, and this caused an absolute outrage. 

The media fought tooth and nail over the "classless" Panthers. Articles flamed out, calling out the Panthers for being "poor sports", "acting like kids", and making Tennessee moms upset. The public semi-agreed to this, but they were so caught up in the Panthers hype to really have any reason to hate them yet. The media was in trouble now. They needed to find a way to find a flaw that'll rattle the nation

Then came the Panthers fall in SuperBowl 50. The media finally found gold. Cam Newton was acting just the way they wanted him to act, and oh boy they feasted. Instead of Broncos headlines, Cam Newton headlines flourished the media, calling him out for his act after the game, and shaming him for leaving his press conference. Nevermind the fact he's human and Cam, he should've acted like everyone else

The nation agreed to this. They saw Cam not going for a fumble that could've cost his career as "wimpy", and the fact he doesn't like to lose makes him a "crybaby." With the SuperBowl being the last game of the year, there was no way the Panthers could react and prove anyone wrong. They're left with what happened, and have to live up with that fact. The media is sitting here crying tears of joy at how they've successfully ensnared Cam Newton at last. The Panthers were a one year wonder. They'll go back to being irrelevant and crybabies. Cam will wimp out and never be the superhero he once was. The hate will keep on rolling

And this, my friends, is why we're Panther fans. We're now one of the most hated teamd in the league. No one has ever hated us this much in our history. Now why is this a good thing, you ask? Well, here's why:

The Panthers are Legit, and Relevant

The reason we're hated is because we're different, and we're HOT.  We've got a great culture about us, and we're churning out to be a dynasty in the league.

Tom Brady and LeBron James were also hated figures during their times. Everyone had some way of picking on them, and just hating them. Cam Newton also share's this fate. Everyone hates Cam. No denying that. Now, look at this: Tom and LeBron, despite the hate, keep on going to become legends at what they do. Cheatriot or not, there's no denying Tom Brady's good. And LeBron James just keeps on doing good despite all the hate surrounding him. Cam Newton will do the same.

The Panthers are an actual good team now, and that's scaring the pants off of most of the league. They're not going anywhere, and rivals don't like that. So picking on the winning team is what others do best, to boost their self-esteem. They know their team is no match for the Panthers, so they bash down the Panthers for being good. Nothing wrong with that.

We shouldn't be complaining, just because we logged on PFT and read the god-awful comments section led by two-year olds in preschool. We should be proud of the hate we're getting, and how we're finally one of the best in the league. Cam Newton's our MVP, our Defense is a juggernaut, what's not to like? Everyone is out to get us, and we're gonna keep pounding and show everyone who's the real champs. SuperBowl 50, and the hate that came with that, will die down by SuperBowl 51, the year of #keeppounding. We'll keep trudging on through the hate, wearing it proudly, and go on and destroy.

image.jpeg

Houston, here we come!

You're overthinking it. They hate us cuz we are really good. What do you think of the Seahawks? Patriots? Browns? One of those probably elicits a different response and it's the team who sucks. If it wasn't Cam and dancing or the media, it would be something else. Why do you hate Kap or Brady or Luck? It's probably something as stupid as dancing or laptops.

Good job writing all that though. I'm sure someone will read it.

Also, the comment section of articles about every team are like that. It consists of people hating on whoever the article is about.

Panther fans actually kept pounding on the media and they really took a beating on the internet. Dopey sports writers who were dead wrong about the Panthers for 90% of the season were complain about Panther fans being disrespectful. It was wonderful. Oh I can still revel in their collective butthurt for being revealed as fools. Picking us to lose to the Jags, and all of their other dopey predictions. Man did they eat poo. lol it was great! What a pounding! Even into the playoffs they were trying to predict that the "high flying" Cardinals with grandpa Palmer would be too much for us. Fantastic season. Best season in Panthers history.

I still can't really explain the total and complete mental breakdown the Panthers had in the SB game. One player after another just totally screwed up in ways we hadn't seen all season.

Now let's talk about the wretched media. They're basically scum for the most part. They don't care about things like honesty and credibility. ESPECIALLY sports media. You think news media anchor Brian Williams of NBC was a scumbag liar? He's Honest Abe compared to many of the people working in sports media. Some of the dumbest and least athletic people on the planet work in sports media. There are nearly no standards. You can be wrong, lie, exaggerate, create propaganda, slander, make fun of a fan's appearance, blow the devil, ANYTHING goes. Being wrong most of the time is the only standard in sports media. If you're a total asshole who has rotten opinions on sports and you're wrong 90% of the time, then you are perfect for sports media. Apply now. If you're wrong about which player plays LDE, or RDE, who cares??? Give your opinion on how the d-line will do that season. If that turns out to be wrong? So what on to the next opinion! Keep it rolling! Laptop! Fake domestic violence outrage! You think TMZ is bad? At least TMZ is usually correct, even though they are scum. They at least try to be right. Sports media is a whole level lower than celebrity news. They're not even trying to be correct about anything. Copy paste, fake outrage, make up a lie. It's a total joke.

3 hours ago, Saca312 said:

The media, now trying to find answers as to how Cam Newton became so successful. It's like trying to find logic as to how Donald Trump became the remaining Republic candidate in the presidental race, except Cam actually made sense, tho the media is blind to that.

Sorry but I reread this like 5 times and I still don't understand the Trump reference. Maybe its my subpar reading analysis. Great piece overall though! 

Hint folks: if you read the whole thing, you'll notice where I talk about us being good as a reason we're hated as well. Nevertheless thanks for the comments. Wrote this on my phone just because I noticed a thread on this subject, so I decided to expound on it. 

Just let me know what you think. Helps me a lot. 

(tbh: I wrote it because I couldn't think of anything else to write about. If you got any subjects in mind that'd help as well)

19 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

(tbh: I wrote it because I couldn't think of anything else to write about. If you got any subjects in mind that'd help as well)

You could write about sunsets, they're pretty nice.

I did read it all. :)

Archived