• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rogue One

R0CKnR0LLA

2 hours ago, cookinwithgas said:

I thought that the beginning 20 minutes were a bit jarring at times (using English text to describe locations we are going to took me out of it, in the other movies we had subtitles or Aurabesh when text was on the screen other than the crawls, and the text naming the planet reminded me of the new Star Trek movies)  and the music had an impossible task. Forest Whitakers eye drives me nuts. Jyn seemed to get into the rebel side of things pretty quickly but the movie kind of demanded that.

And it was great but it wasn't "I'm 15 years old and skipping school to see Empire" great!

Those are pretty minor nitpicky things imo, everyone can find stuff like that.

I hardly noticed the music which to me tells me it's about perfect. 

Without posting spoilers (don't feel like doing the tags on mobile) I thought the plot was perfect for what they were doing which is the most important part of the movie.  With the state of CGI and filmmaking, any film can be brilliant looking and still not be very good.

Thats one of the reasons I don't give it higher marks than Empire - there are a lot of great looking movies out there now. Empire kind of stood alone, or at least with a very, very small group of great effects films.

I know I'm nitpicky, I am trying to explain to you that its not a perfect Star Wars movie but probably the most perfect Star Wars movie we are going to get. I feel pretty certain that they are going to skew Han Solo a bit towards the young ladies (I hope not though!) and who knows whats next. A Star Wars movie every Christmas sounds pretty great though.

It was excellent, but it is NOT a Star Wars movie. And that's okay; it's not a complaint. It was Force 10 from the Navarone set in the Star Wars universe, and again, I'm very okay with that. And I hope these "Star Wars stories" play out that way, and ideally get further removed from the main Star Wars narrative. Because ironically, I thought the weakest parts of the movie were the parts that ham-fistedly tried to connect to Episode 4. I mean, those uncanny valley sequences seemed totally superfluous, and was Tarkin so important to the plot that we needed a semi-convincing CGI version of him? Couldn't it just have been some random Imperial Admiral?

I really don't have much in the way of criticism. This was one of the best action movies I've seen in a long time.

I loved (SPOILERS):

• The action set pieces. This was hands down the best space battle in the Star Wars series. Absolutely on the edge of my seat the whole time.
  • The restraint of the ending. It totally went the opposite of how I expected. As the blast wave is approaching, I was just going, "Ugh. Okay, now the Millennium Falcon flies in and picks them up. Any second. Come on now, let's get this over with. The Falcon swoops in and bad CGI young Han hangs out the door and delivers some quip and picks them up. Jeez they're really milking this. That blast is really coming fast...Welp. So no 'Rogue Two' then, I guess." Did the opposite of what any other movie franchise would do, and I loved it.
  • The surprising degree of characterization. Did you really think you could ever get so bummed about a droid biting it?
  • The Vader massacre. I'm not even a big Darth Vader fanboy, but damn. I jizzed. Hard.
  • And as others have said, the 1970s aesthetic of the Star Wars universe is perfectly captured.

Took my oldest to see it yesterday.

I think I liked it better than TFA. It was really good. There were only two things that bugged me that I can remember.

As Captroop kind of mentioned, the CGI Tarkin was just weird. Bring out the old school makeup prosthetic work and a similar looking actor and call it a done deal.

The other thing was some of the helmets used by the rebels in the assault on Scarif. They looked too modern/WWII/known universe for me.

I know that is nitpicking, but yeah. Overall, probably up there with ESB for me. Good story, and the ending gave me chills and probably a single tear for nostalgia's sake.

I loved them bumping into Dr. Evazan and Ponda Baba on Jedha. Stuff like that was great. K-2S0 was great. Chirrut Imwe was great. Blue milk right from the beginning. Red and Gold leader were in there. The Tantive IV.

I want to go see it again in the theater. I might even go twice more. Maybe even three.

5, R1, 4, 7, 3, 6, 2, 1

Movie was great.   Empire is the only Star Wars better than it, honestly, as I've always said Empire is the only GREAT Star Wars film, this is pretty great itself.   I'm not a fan boy and while I thought TFA was a good movie I had some major criticisms of it as in pretty much the exact ANH storyline.   This was a nice refreshing change of pace.

I think the movie could have benefited from actually being longer, as the only thing missing for me was a bit more of motivation and building for the main characters but I get why they had to jump in.

The reason this movie works better than most Star Wars films is because there was actual stakes at play.   Especially after the credits roll.   There wasn't some amazing Jedi escape, these were just tough people fighting for a cause.    And it actually made the Empire look like they should, pretty terrible.  

I thought the main actor guy wasn't that special and was honestly the weakest link but he was still good enough.   I like the flow into ANH as well.  

And the Vader parts, my lawd.  

Saw it today and loved it! I'm still decompressing over it so I might have more detailed thoughts later. 

My only big signing point was the early Jyn character development. She jumped in very fast. 

Otherwise,  it worked out more done else said: is a war movie,  not a star wars movie. Wonderful visual design and top notch effects. We all knew the they would get the plans, but the journey was felt enjoyable. 

The boarding party was insane.  

It seems I many be one of the few who didn't mind CGI Tarkin.  Just really enjoyed this for what it was.  Honest assessment after I saw it again--1. Empire 2. RotJ 3. Rogue One 4. ANH 5. TFA 6. RotS 7. TPM.  Seriously.  

And yeah...I don't count Attack of the Clones

OK I liked it a lot and the ending was damn epic. I liked the Tarkin and the other CGI characters and effects. I loved all the little easter eggs (Red 5 bites it, etc). Even recognizing the old leaders of Red and Gold I believe. Loved the guy from Bloodline as the bad guy. And did I mention the end? Awesome.

But, I didn't like how the beginning kind of dragged and the motivations seemed a bit forced (no pun intended). Unfortunately I can't remember many specifics but I'll surely watch it a few more times, but there were at least a few times when I said to myself why is this character doing that? Also I thought Forrest Whitaker overall was disappointing.

But again, I liked it a lot. I'd go with 5, 4, 7, R1, 6, 3, 2, 1.

On 12/16/2016 at 8:35 PM, uncfan888 said:

I loved it. There were so many Easter eggs for in depth star wars fans. It was a great movie 

My favorite is when she bumped into the same pair that caused trouble for Luke at the bar. The pig face guy and the creature that had his arm sabered off by Obiwan. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

My favorite is when she bumped into the same pair that caused trouble for Luke at the bar. The pig face guy and the creature that had his arm sabered off by Obiwan. 

Yeah, they must have got out of there quick before it got blown up

Archived