• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Beason chimes in on Nippleshorts

SCP

I mean, just admit G-man fuged up and move on. He grossly miscalculated, gambled, and lost. Paying players while staying competitive in the short and long term are not mutually exclusive. Moreover, there were a few value signings, or even signings at fair market value, that other teams made that would have made a lot of sense for the Panthers. Just admit it, stop with the mental gymnastics in order to save Dave-face, and hope that he does better in the future.

Getteman also has to realize Cam and Luke are not the only ones on the team who deserve big contracts. Norman absolutely deserved one, and he should've gotten one from us. I'm amazed at how a team like Seattle kept their whole secondary in tact, gave them big contracts, and was still able to give big contracts to Wilson, Baldwin, and Graham. A good GM can maneuver and get it done.

GAME OVER D.G.

I think you guys bashing Gettlemen will bash him no matter what he does.  I mean you think these guys feel disrespected because his philosophy is to place a value on each position and won't deviate from that.   Every team does that to some respect.  If these players egos are so fragile that they can't handle being turned down for their asking price then I seriously doubt they would be someone you want on this team.  The win at all cost mentality doesn't work very well in the salary cap era.

The only thing I see that he's done wrong is to franchise Josh.  He should've just let him walk as soon as he heard his first offer and gone after someone in Dave's price range.  I don't fault him completely for the depth issues as that mostly on Ron and his team to speak up and ask for upgrades.  Ron works with Dave to get the players HE wants so what you see is largely the decision of Ron and his coaches.  It's the same on game day.  Dave finds the type of players they want.

Now having said that I do think that Dave needs to step in and force Ron to make changes in personnel when needed.  There are several that should've been gone last year and judging by the production of some they were counting on this season maybe more should be gone.   My gut says Dave is going to let Ron ride or die by his choices and if he can't get it done then Ron and co. will be gone soon enough.  Injuries have bought him more time but I think next season old Dave will not let Ron say he's good with what they have and KK will not even be considered for the tag unless he produces this season.  That money will go to Star and some FA DE help no matter what Ron says.

Bash away bitches.

9 hours ago, carolinajay said:

Gettleman negotiated with both and couldn't come to a agreement. Josh is gone and a long term deal with KK can still be had.

The 2011 contract spree is the reason why it is smart to stand your ground.

Who should he had signed after lifting the franchise tag on Josh?

He stopped negotiating with Josh even when Josh agreed to fire his agent, play for the tag or take less money. He wanted to be a Panther and Gettleman decided to show everyone how tough he was by just refusing to go back to the negotiating table more to show everyone he only gives you one chance and he is a tough guy than to make a deal. With KK we are arguing over 2 million a year when we have plenty to pay him. Stewart is the last of those 2011 contracts so they have little to do with why he did what he did . He got the big head and it is biting him in the ass and he deserves every bit of it. Who should he have signed after dumping Norman? What I have said for months, a few veterans corners who would have kept this disaster from happening and made him still look really smart instead of clueless.

10 minutes ago, SCP said:

This thread has gone as planned.

D.G. wanted to show his toughness but now he as take the poo as a man that he created & deserved. I wish J.R. would have bitch slapped his fat ass for wasting another year. Time is probably  one of the most important thing in sports given short careers, people say  I wold like to build dynasty but it could have started this year.

Learn from the past , Live in the present, work for the future.

1 hour ago, nctarheel0619 said:

Here's the issue.  WE JUST WENT TO THE SUPER BOWL.  How in the literal fug do you go from the Super Bowl to rebuilding in a span of 5 fuging games?  Please, someone let me know.  

I see it this way.  We were the second oldest team in the NFL last year and our current expensive contracts and core players are either very near ending there career or still on rookie contract (only exception is Newton right now).  Staying out of free agency appears to have more to do with the contracts still to come.  Just the same as pulling Norman's does.  My hope is it keeps us competitive longer then it might have this year.

25 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

He stopped negotiating with Josh even when Josh agreed to fire his agent, play for the tag or take less money. He wanted to be a Panther and Gettleman decided to show everyone how tough he was by just refusing to go back to the negotiating table more to show everyone he only gives you one chance and he is a tough guy than to make a deal. With KK we are arguing over 2 million a year when we have plenty to pay him. Stewart is the last of those 2011 contracts so they have little to do with why he did what he did . He got the big head and it is biting him in the ass and he deserves every bit of it. Who should he have signed after dumping Norman? What I have said for months, a few veterans corners who would have kept this disaster from happening and made him still look really smart instead of clueless.

You have been spot on in the Norman/Gettleman situation. Josh wanted to be a Panther, and that's what pisses me off about the whole thing. We had a shut down corner that wanted to stay, and you don't continue negotiating to get him signed long term? Hell, just keep the tag on him, he wasn't going to hold out. 

Just keeping Norman makes it a hell of a lot easier on both Bene and Bradberry. With Norman, we at least have one side of the field locked up while Bradberry is learning from him.

And again, we're going to have to pay other players as well. Not just Cam and Luke. Both KK and Turner are going to want some big money. I hope Gettleman doesn't employ his same hardball tactics with them.

You have been spot on in the Norman/Gettleman situation. Josh wanted to be a Panther, and that's what pisses me off about the whole thing. We had a shut down corner that wanted to stay, and you don't continue negotiating to get him signed long term? Hell, just keep the tag on him, he wasn't going to hold out. 

Just keeping Norman makes it a hell of a lot easier on both Bene and Bradberry. With Norman, we at least have one side of the field locked up while Bradberry is learning from him.

And again, we're going to have to pay other players as well. Not just Cam and Luke. Both KK and Turner are going to want some big money. I hope Gettleman doesn't employ his same hardball tactics with them.

If he lets guys like Turner and KK and Norwell walk then his entire philosophy of 'we're not in the business of developing players for other teams' is complete hogwash and I will then have both feet on the fire Gettleman barge.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

12 hours ago, pantherphan96 said:

worst case scenario we finish 1-15. we still have a core that most teams would kill for plus a years experience in the secondary and a high draft pick to address position of need (DE/OT/S). how we play this year doesn't affect our future window of opportunity. sinking lots of $$ into FA's limits what we can do down the road.

i guess you missed the part where i said Gettleman using $$ to improve the team would involve mortgaging the future for the present. the Norman move looks bad but I still would rather go through these growing pains in the secondary than drop an absurd amount of money on a zone CB who is already nearing the end of his prime years as a CB.

Whose to say that those players will be willing to resign..whose to say he won't  treat kk the same way or any of the core people...the future is now not later Cam and luke have been here 6 and 5 yrs ..Both arre signed true but the way Dave has handle things will make it hard for FA to want to come here..look how this team look..nobody seems happy except Gano.

42 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I see it this way.  We were the second oldest team in the NFL last year and our current expensive contracts and core players are either very near ending there career or still on rookie contract (only exception is Newton right now).  Staying out of free agency appears to have more to do with the contracts still to come.  Just the same as pulling Norman's does.  My hope is it keeps us competitive longer then it might have this year.

Luke already has his long-term deal too.  The best two young players on both sides of the ball are locked up long-term.

Who are these players we're saving money for? Short is costing himself money every time he steps foot on the field this season. Norwell and Turner are the only two young guys on the roster with upcoming deals that I really, really want to keep. I'll add KB into that mix too, but we still have him under contract for two more seasons with the 1st round 5th year option. Who else is there?

Everyone talks about all these upcoming contracts we have and it doesn't seem to sink in that we don't have all that much young talent that we desperately need to get signed.  We have at most three guys (Short, Norwell, and Turner) who are priorities to get re-signed within the next two seasons.

Archived