• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Belichick & Collins vs Gettleman & Norman

ncfan

I'm really curious to hear how all the Gettleman haters feel about this.  Have seen a couple of them have threads then talk about the great Belichick.

Player A: Played some as a rookie looked alright tofor most of the season then benched, season 2 was benched and played in about as many games as he was inactive.  Season 3 was a backup but by midseason worked his way into the starting roll week 8 (midseason) and finished the season strong.  Season 4 last year on his contract produces all-pro season, said in interviews in the media throughout the season he wanted to be "Payed" and even mentioned a time or 2 the top of his position.

Player B: Quiet rookie season ended the season with a strong game in the playoffs, season 2 had a breakout year, season 3 had a probowl/all-pro year.

Player A is Norman Player B is Collins.

BOTH players never had a top level year until this last year. Norman's next to last year ended strong but didnt even start the first half of that season.  Collins next to last year started all the games and had a big year over 100 tackles and 4 forced fumbles.  Collins has also leads the NFL in forced fumbles the last 2-3 years.  Both players mentioned they wanted to be the top payed player at their position.  

Norman, Gettleman looked to Franchise him here atleast 1 more year but something behind the scenes between him and Normans agent happened that none of us know.  Gettleman released him and let him sign big deal top at his position with a team who just came off a playoff appearance.

Collins, Belicheck traded collins to arguably the worst sports franchise among all the major sports.  

Both teams recieved Comp 3rd round picks.

We know Belicheck is a winner but using that argument isnt even the best.  Vomsidering sonce Gettleman at the helm the panthers are the only franchise to win back to back division titles by going 3 for 3 also a superbowl appearance.

Gettlemen created a massive weak spot on this team in letting Norman go.

I don't think you can say that about New England

So I don't think you compare player vs player.....you compare how the team was/is positioned in their absence.

1 minute ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

Bellichick needed to save $ to pay for Gronk, Hightower, Bennett.  We didn't have those immediate needs.

Would you not say that Gettleman needs to save money for Star, Kk, Turner, and Norwell?

How quickly some forget Gettlemans first press conferences, and his "Hog Mollies"  He builds the team around the trenches and the interior.

3 minutes ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

Bellichick needed to save $ to pay for Gronk, Hightower, Bennett.  We didn't have those immediate needs.

Plus it's pretty smart to put high value players on teams that won't come back and bite you.  

Gronk is on a long-term contract.  Granted he's underpaid but it isn't like they need to do anything different with the contract.  They probably will if only out of respect for him, I'm not sure Gronk would ever seriously hold out.

11 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:

One ENORMOUS difference. Belichick will properly compensate for the loss of Collins.  Losing Collins doesn't turn the Patriots' LB corps into the worst in the league.  

Losing Norman didn't necessarily make us the worst secondary in the league. If you haven't noticed injuries plagued us back there, as well as rookie inexperience.

Now that Worley and Bradberry are going to be back, expect them to have progressed to an elevated state, and, dare I say, end the season with a top 10 secondary.

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

So I don't think you compare player vs player.....you compare how the team was/is positioned in their absence.

Bene is off the team now.  But how is it different for Belicheck to have faith with guys "lined up" to replace him vs Gettleman with Bene.  Bene was the top graded out rookie corner 2 years prior winning out the starting nickel spot off the bat while the same season Norman was a backup and didnt win the starting job until midway that season.  That same rookie season profootball focus graded him the #2 corner in the whole NFL through his first 2 games and the #1 cover corner over final 8 games that season.  His sophomore season he had a solid year meanwhile Norman blewup.  while coming off a injury, Gettleman couldnt see it coming that he would come in out of shape.  Gettleman  may have seen a Bene coming back from injury fine and a 1st or 2nd round corner on the other side.  It was quoted Gettleman was wanting that corner from Houston in the 1st round just the Bengals grabbed him first.

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

I don't think you can say that about New England

and he would have created multiple weak spots on the team by giving Norman the money he wanted. I'm not even going to see CB is a weak spot. I mean it is this season but the positive is Worley and Bradberry are able to play a lot and develop and both look like they will be very good. Bradberry has star written all over him

2 minutes ago, ncfan said:

Bene is off the team now.  But how is it different for Belicheck to have faith with guys "lined up" to replace him vs Gettleman with Bene.  Bene was the top graded out rookie corner 2 years prior winning out the starting nickel spot off the bat while the same season Norman was a backup and didnt win the starting job until midway that season.  That same rookie season profootball focus graded him the #2 corner in the whole NFL through his first 2 games and the #1 cover corner over final 8 games that season.  His sophomore season he had a solid year meanwhile Norman blewup.  while coming off a injury, Gettleman couldnt see it coming that he would come in out of shape.  Gettleman  may have seen a Bene coming back from injury fine and a 1st or 2nd round corner on the other side.  It was quoted Gettleman was wanting that corner from Houston in the 1st round just the Bengals grabbed him first.

going into this 2016 season, on paper, Carolina arguably had the worst secondary in the NFL?

does this move now put NE in that territory at it's comparable position group discussed?

so I guess the next few weeks will answer the question.  We in large part, have a losing record because of our defense (which stems from the drastic change in secondary play)

so if NE keeps on keeping on....I think the question here answers itself.

8 minutes ago, CRA said:

going into this 2016 season, on paper, Carolina arguably had the worst secondary in the NFL?

does this move now put NE in that territory at it's comparable position group discussed?

so I guess the next few weeks will answer the question.  We in large part, have a losing record because of our defense (which stems from the drastic change in secondary play)

so if NE keeps on keeping on....I think the question here answers itself.

Never saw that we were The worst.  But towards the bottom, but many of those were off of people who jumped to conclusion just based off of us cutting Norman without looking back past the previous season And the draft

Does New England have a young guy that ended 2nd half of his season 2 years ago ranked graded out as the #1 ranked pass rusher on the otherside but was over shadowed by a big year from collins on the other side?  dont think so.  Bene comes back healthy and not completly lazy and out of shape and Bradberry on the other side.   That on paper isnt even in the bottom half. 

Archived