• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Boom Goes The Dynamite - From Hibernation, To a Hungry Bear: Star Lotulelei

Saca312

Raise your hand if you expected our defensive line to break out like they did last Sunday.

Anyone? No one?

Exactly the point.

The Carolina Panthers, in desperate need of some momentum to build upon, swept the Cardinals in a grueling fashion, sending many fans back on a nostalgic trip to that beloved 15-1 season we had not too long ago. The Panthers looked like the team everyone expected them to be, with a hard running and tough offense led by the MVP in Cam Newton, and the quick, yet powerful, defensive front with our secondary doing its job.

To many, it felt like 2015 all over again, with the strong defensive front smashing through the offensive line, and causing Palmer to throw a ball that was questionable in real time enough to convince the refs he fumbled and Thomas Davis recovered it for his first ever defensive touchdown. 

It was amazing. It was fantastic. It was beautiful.

Now, one player stands out that day for that amazing breakout performance. Like a grizzly bear, he was in hibernation, a silent threat, one to not play around with, but one who hasn't really made an eye popping impact. But on Sunday, this particular player awoke in a roaring fashion. He goes by Star Lotulelei.

Consider the fact he only had 7 career sacks since his tenure in the NFL, according to Sports Illustrated*:

Seven.

Dassit.

Yes you read that right. He only had 7.

Now, on Sunday, this guy comes out of nowhere and breaks out with the performance of his life. He not only does his normal job of stuffing the run, he shows off he can maul a dude down and impact the QB. He literally got nealy half the total amount of sacks he's had so far in his career in one game, with a total of 3. 

Rivera stated over the bye week

Consider again the play that led to the Thomas Davis fumble recovery. Ignore the fact the refs blew that call, and whatnot. Take a look from one of Igo's gifs**:

giphy.gif

Notice how Star literally makes the right guard's (Earl Watford) knees buckle backwards, as he man-hauls his way and moves to the inside to punish Carson Palmer. It's like Star literally turned into the hulk/freight train/ferocious bear/anything heavy and ferocious and put that tackle on skates. That was not as much speed as it was pure raw power. Like a bear awoken from hibernation, Star lets out his inner beast and completely mauls down that poor guard.

You thought that was ferocious? Check out this other fantastic play by Star

OUMq78v_-_Imgur.gif*

JpXcDvN.gif ***

Now, hold on, isn't Star supposed to be the big guy who isn't that fast and powers away OGs only? Well on this package, note his speed. His speed. Not only is he one powerful beast, he's slides over the guard like he's nothing, then he comes out of nowhere in a speedy fashion to nearly grab that safety for the Panthers. You'd think you were seeing KK out there with that kind of speed. He's big, and he's bad, but he's also fast. This grizzly bear was HUNGRY.

Onto the third sack (thanks again to MurkN for some of these wonderful gifs)***:

XXc0GOn.gif

This picture doesn't do much justice to what occurred. Star literally bullrushes his man to get to Palmer, while Kony Ealy provides enough containment and pressure to keep Palmer trapped, leading to a Star and KK sandwich. Boy, this one was monstrous. Carson Palmer's gonna have nightmares about Star after this game. (Not that he already has nightmares about the Panthers defense anyways).

Star Lotulelei has really awoken this game. From a silent bear in hibernation, he came out like a hungry, roaring bear. He's shown to be more than a side character in the KK and Star DT edition of the Panthers defense. He's shown he really plays the silent, yet most important part of the Panthers defense. Without him, there's no way the Panthers would've gone of like they did on Sunday. He's truly grown, and living up to his first round pick status. Expect more great things from this line if effort like this keeps up.

grant_g_lotulelei1x_576x324.jpg

*Based off an article from http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/1/13486176/star-lotulelei-panthers-defensive-lineman-sacks-cardinals-hoss-of-the-week. Quotations, statistics, inspiration, and anything else noted in quotations are derived from this article. I recommend reading it, it was a good one, and provided me with some motivation to write this up.*

**Credit to @Jeremy Igo for the wonderful write-ups, gifs, and provisions pertaining to the Cardinals Panthers game of 10/30. Wonderful thread, great addition to the board, and really provides another perspective to those that don't have the luxury to coach's film.

***Credit to @MurkN for some of these fantastic GIFs from his thread, great stuff I love seeing every week we win.

It's one game man. let's see if he keeps it up for the rest of the season too (along with the rest of the dline)

This game really made me wonder, ifwe were capable of pressuring the QB this effectively ,where in God's name was the pass rush in our previous games this season . it's like this came out of fuging now where and I hope it doesn't go back into hibernation so to speak 

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

It's one game man. let's see if he keeps it up for the rest of the season too (along with the rest of the dline)

This game really made me wonder, ifwe were capable of pressuring the QB this effectively ,where in God's name was the pass rush in our previous games this season . it's like this came out of fuging now where and I hope it doesn't go back into hibernation so to speak 

Star's been a beast all year. Taking the large majority of triple and double teams.

22 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

The thing that's making me optimistic, is how much growth this dline appears. And I mean we've faced worse OLines in the Vikes and Saints, and haven't gotten this much pressure. It's astounding how good we could be.

If this keeps up against a mediocre Rams oline and horrid Keenum at the helm, oh boy. 

i hope he has. he looks more explosive in those gifs than i have noticed before maybe aside from some games his rookie year.

its less about actual speed or power to me, but his overall vigor. most games he seems to be powerfully holding the line, but this game he just looked to be on a different level. it's like in seattle in 2013, he had this burst off the line and was behind the line right as the ball was snapped. 

i hope the coaches recognize this and assign more pass rush to him. that switch up, along with Kony finally getting more play against the RT may be what saves our defense this year.

3 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

This game really made me wonder, ifwe were capable of pressuring the QB this effectively ,where in God's name was the pass rush in our previous games this season .

Exactly. Looks like someone had to light a fire under star. He has been lazy on most of his pass rushing one on one when KK is getting doubled. Star was so bad a couple of games on 3rd down pass rushing that they pulled him from the game in favor of Wes Horton or Kony Ealy rushing the passer on 3rd down.

Star had to step up when he was singled, and he finally did. Now, this should free up KK as OLs have to guess on who to double on 3rd down. I believe teams may test Star at least one more time to see if he can beat the one on one blocks consistently in passing situations.

Raise your hand if you expected our defensive line to break out like they did last Sunday.

Anyone? No one?

Exactly the point.

The Carolina Panthers, in desperate need of some momentum to build upon, swept the Cardinals in a grueling fashion, sending many fans back on a nostalgic trip to that beloved 15-1 season we had not too long ago. The Panthers looked like the team everyone expected them to be, with a hard running and tough offense led by the MVP in Cam Newton, and the quick, yet powerful, defensive front with our secondary doing its job.

To many, it felt like 2015 all over again, with the strong defensive front smashing through the offensive line, and causing Palmer to throw a ball that was questionable in real time enough to convince the refs he fumbled and Thomas Davis recovered it for his first ever defensive touchdown. 

It was amazing. It was fantastic. It was beautiful.

Now, one player stands out that day for that amazing breakout performance. Like a grizzly bear, he was in hibernation, a silent threat, one to not play around with, but one who hasn't really made an eye popping impact. But on Sunday, this particular player awoke in a roaring fashion. He goes by Star Lotulelei.

Consider the fact he only had 7 career sacks since his tenure in the NFL, according to Sports Illustrated*:

Seven.

Dassit.

Yes you read that right. He only had 7.

Now, on Sunday, this guy comes out of nowhere and breaks out with the performance of his life. He not only does his normal job of stuffing the run, he shows off he can maul a dude down and impact the QB. He literally got nealy half the total amount of sacks he's had so far in his career in one game, with a total of 3. 

Rivera stated over the bye week

Consider again the play that led to the Thomas Davis fumble recovery. Ignore the fact the refs blew that call, and whatnot. Take a look from one of Igo's gifs**:

giphy.gif

Notice how Star literally makes the right guard's (Earl Watford) knees buckle backwards, as he man-hauls his way and moves to the inside to punish Carson Palmer. It's like Star literally turned into the hulk/freight train/ferocious bear/anything heavy and ferocious and put that tackle on skates. That was not as much speed as it was pure raw power. Like a bear awoken from hibernation, Star lets out his inner beast and completely mauls down that poor guard.

You thought that was ferocious? Check out this other fantastic play by Star

OUMq78v_-_Imgur.gif*

JpXcDvN.gif ***

Now, hold on, isn't Star supposed to be the big guy who isn't that fast and powers away OGs only? Well on this package, note his speed. His speed. Not only is he one powerful beast, he's slides over the guard like he's nothing, then he comes out of nowhere in a speedy fashion to nearly grab that safety for the Panthers. You'd think you were seeing KK out there with that kind of speed. He's big, and he's bad, but he's also fast. This grizzly bear was HUNGRY.

Onto the third sack (thanks again to MurkN for some of these wonderful gifs)***:

XXc0GOn.gif

This picture doesn't do much justice to what occurred. Star literally bullrushes his man to get to Palmer, while Kony Ealy provides enough containment and pressure to keep Palmer trapped, leading to a Star and KK sandwich. Boy, this one was monstrous. Carson Palmer's gonna have nightmares about Star after this game. (Not that he already has nightmares about the Panthers defense anyways).

Star Lotulelei has really awoken this game. From a silent bear in hibernation, he came out like a hungry, roaring bear. He's shown to be more than a side character in the KK and Star DT edition of the Panthers defense. He's shown he really plays the silent, yet most important part of the Panthers defense. Without him, there's no way the Panthers would've gone of like they did on Sunday. He's truly grown, and living up to his first round pick status. Expect more great things from this line if effort like this keeps up.

grant_g_lotulelei1x_576x324.jpg

*Based off an article from http://www.sbnation.com/2016/11/1/13486176/star-lotulelei-panthers-defensive-lineman-sacks-cardinals-hoss-of-the-week. Quotations, statistics, inspiration, and anything else noted in quotations are derived from this article. I recommend reading it, it was a good one, and provided me with some motivation to write this up.*

**Credit to @Jeremy Igo for the wonderful write-ups, gifs, and provisions pertaining to the Cardinals Panthers game of 10/30. Wonderful thread, great addition to the board, and really provides another perspective to those that don't have the luxury to coach's film.

***Credit to @MurkN for some of these fantastic GIFs from his thread, great stuff I love seeing every week we win.

I said this before the season started, Star would come on as pass rusher, primarily due to Paul Solia & Love taking over some of the run stopping duties and allow him to stay fresher.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

We Have to lock this guy up long term.

Again remember the poster on here  running into the Falcons OL in Dominican Replublic on Vacay and how they raved on how Star was the toughest DL on our roster to defend even though KK was coming off a all-pro year.  KK is good but he can give a little thanks to Star for last season taking a Ton of attention from double teams.  Also many forget Star has dealt with a couple nagging injuries the last 2 years and is finally healthy.

Archived