• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL Is Considering Shortening Ads

Saca312

3 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

How about just having a dedicated professional video review official in the booth. There is no need for the head official to walk over, put on the headset, queue up the video, watch a few times, walk back to field. A dedicated replay official in the booth would take 30 seconds on most reviews. 

I think that would be a bad idea. They tried that in the past and the problem is you are going to find it hard to find that many quality review officials to put at every game. They need to do like every other sport and have a command center do the reviews. That way they are not affected by the crowd and poor review equipment.

3 hours ago, Blue Goose Cast said:

Or maybe employ their referees full time so they can focus on and hone their craft?

Much easier to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic though.

That is easy to say but hard in reality. Most officials are making more outside of football. So if they have to choose between the two, the NFL will lose almost all of their experienced officials. Do you want to go back to the quality of the replacement refs for several years? And then, what proof does anyone have that just because an official didn't work at his law firm during the week, that he will somehow not miss a blow to Cam's head on Sunday?

They should make it where people can watch the games they want. I don't live around Charlotte anymore. I don't have Direct TV. I'm not going to watch the sucktastic Tennessee Titans every week either. That's all I get so I choose to do something else.

- Simplify the Rules

- Let players celebrate how they want to again

- Get full time competent refs. People are getting tired of seeing their teams get hosed from bad officiating. Really starts to tune out fans.

- Do away with Thusrday games (absolute horrible product) or have it where teams coming off of bye play on Thursday

- etc.

The biggest one though is just simplify the rules back down. These ticky tack bullsh*t illegal contact, defensive holding, hands to the helmet, and roughing the passer calls get really old. Fans get hype off of a play only to see a bullsh*t touch foul against their team, changing the whole dynamic and attitude of a game. Fans watch for football, not a million flags every damn play. Too much stress for what is supposed to be a fun, entertaining product. And yes, the nonstop commercials after every little change of possession, or the extra point/commercial/kickoff/commercial combo is just the icing on the cake. The NFL product is just horrid right now.

11 hours ago, Snake said:

Totally addressing the wrong issues. Seems about right for the NFL. 

I'm not going to lie. Seeing my team get cheated out of a SB and my QB get punished because he is great is making not want to watch. People want fair rules and a fair game not storylines and a rigged system. 

This exactly.  I havent watched any part of an nfl game non-panthers since the superbowl.  Really my interest started declining before that but it dropped off completely this year.  I used to always have th games going even if I wasn't watching every bit of it.  Sunday night, monday, hell I used to watch Thursday night games when they had a decent matchup. 

Same reason my interest in the NBA completely dropped off after NOLA got Anthony Davis in the lottery

7 hours ago, rainwater said:

That is easy to say but hard in reality. Most officials are making more outside of football. So if they have to choose between the two, the NFL will lose almost all of their experienced officials. Do you want to go back to the quality of the replacement refs for several years? And then, what proof does anyone have that just because an official didn't work at his law firm during the week, that he will somehow not miss a blow to Cam's head on Sunday?

Yes. Replacements fuged up some calls but not any more than the regular guys the past couple of years.  And new guys might not have the biases of the current guys. Some fresh blood in the officiating crew would probably be a good thing. Get rid of these guys that think their word is law and they can get away with calling however they want.

2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

Yes. Replacements fuged up some calls but not any more than the regular guys the past couple of years.  And new guys might not have the biases of the current guys. Some fresh blood in the officiating crew would probably be a good thing. Get rid of these guys that think their word is law and they can get away with calling however they want.

The NFL is a multi BILLION dollar business. Give refs enough money so they can do it full-time. Spend the off-season learning and competing for spots. If the money is good enough, there will be plenty of folks willing to do it. The competition would make everyone better. The training would be better. Then maybe the product would be better.

Plus, if they were full-time, it could be good incentive for them to work their butts off. Knowing there are refs behind them waiting on their opportunity, might light a fire under their azzes. I know it is performance based now, but if the money is good, their would be a deep pool of refs to choose from. If you perform well, you stay. If you perform badly, you get demoted.

The NFL has the money for full-time refs.

They want to make the product better? Get announcers & commentators that know what they're doing, that actually call the teams AND the players by the right names without bias towards one of the teams & that can get the down & distance correct. This crap is happening too often. The announcing crews most games have now are horrid. Or, better yet, let the viewers choose a feed with the home or away team radio crew.

Put all games on regular broadcast channels. I don't watch TNF because I don't have NFLN but I would watch it when it was on CBS for the most part. Bad game, though, I'd find something else to watch. For awhile I didn't have ESPN so I wasn't watching MNF; now have it courtesy of my son. Again, I won't stay with bad games. More & more people are 'cutting the cord' which means no watching NFLN or ESPN.

Full time refs with the emphasis on being consistent with the penalties. That would go a long way towards less requested video reviews by coaches. If making the rules simpler will help, do it. 

Archived