• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So How Will You Feel When...

Lilsmitty09

2 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

If people are concerned about the difference between a picking 7th or 8th, or picking 14/15, well I wouldn't be.  Historically, the difference between the two isn't that great.  And its almost always better to win than lose.

In 2008 we lost our target Clady by one measly pick then had to trade back up to grab Otah which dominoed into multiple draft day disasters which compounded on the other.

EVERY spot counts, either in player selection or trade value.  The difference in 7 and 14 is roughly equal to a 2nd round pick in trade value.  I understand wanting to beat the Falcons on Christmas Eve, but is beating the Chargers and Redskins in meaningless games worth $hitting a 2nd round pick down our leg?  

This team turns the heat on at the wrong time. They come in unprepared in the beginning of the season, turn on the juice in the middle and finish strong.. Freaking sad because the team has so much potential to do more than what they've done. Those years the south was won with a mediocre record? That's not the team being resilient, that's luck giving us a hand out and the rest of the division being poo. BUT that still has saved these coaches more than anything.

This late surge of moral victories hurts more than helps to be honest. I rather they get humbled more and understand that they NEED to be prepared in the beginning than have a last hoorah and spoil other teams chances and pick in the 20's where we won't get a in impact player off the bat in the first AND second round. 

Good thing is that Daves drafts have been all positive for the most part and he actaully knows talent. Which is why I'd want a higher draft pick. 

2 hours ago, Nails said:

In 2008 we lost our target Clady by one measly pick then had to trade back up to grab Otah which dominoed into multiple draft day disasters which compounded on the other.

EVERY spot counts, either in player selection or trade value.  The difference in 7 and 14 is roughly equal to a 2nd round pick in trade value.  I understand wanting to beat the Falcons on Christmas Eve, but is beating the Chargers and Redskins in meaningless games worth $hitting a 2nd round pick down our leg?  

2008 is one example of our draft pick number mattering a lot.  But there are several in which we might have better off with the lower pick.  Look at the 2012 draft for example.  We got Luke in the ninth spot, and there isn't a player above him I wish we had taken.  Maybe Luck if we didn't already have a qb, but we definitely got the right pick there.  Who knows who we might have picked had we had an earlier pick.  I feel similarly about the 2013 draft with Star.

My point is that the draft is a crapshoot.  1st rounders less so but even there. you never really know what you will get.  Just look at the aforementioned 2012 draft.  Several of the guys drafted above Luke are considered bust now.  

1 hour ago, Ivan The Awesome said:

This team turns the heat on at the wrong time. They come in unprepared in the beginning of the season, turn on the juice in the middle and finish strong.. Freaking sad because the team has so much potential to do more than what they've done. Those years the south was won with a mediocre record? That's not the team being resilient, that's luck giving us a hand out and the rest of the division being poo. BUT that still has saved these coaches more than anything.

This late surge of moral victories hurts more than helps to be honest. I rather they get humbled more and understand that they NEED to be prepared in the beginning than have a last hoorah and spoil other teams chances and pick in the 20's where we won't get a in impact player off the bat in the first AND second round. 

Good thing is that Daves drafts have been all positive for the most part and he actaully knows talent. Which is why I'd want a higher draft pick. 

What was positive about the 2016 draft?

2 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

Hard to judge a draft after only one seasin, but we picked up what appears to be a good corner in the second round, another cb who is, at a minimum, serviceable in the third, and a 1st rounder whom the jury is still out on.  If both the corners continue to contribute and Butler becomes a solid DT, then its probably a mostly successful draft.  

11 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

2008 is one example of our draft pick number mattering a lot.  But there are several in which we  got lucky by having a slightly lower pick.  Look at the 2012 draft for example.  We got Luke in the ninth spot, and there isn't a player above him I wish we had taken.  Maybe Luck if we didn't already have a qb, but we definitely got the right pick there.  Who knows who we might have picked had we had an earlier pick.  I feel similarly about the 2013 draft with Star.

My point is that the draft is a crapshoot.  1st rounders less so but even there. you never really know what you will get.  Just look at the aforementioned 2012 draft.  Several of the guys drafted above Luke are considered bust now.  

Even in Luke's year, Luke was still considered the safest player in the draft.  Indeed no one knew just how good he was going to be and his positional value dropped him from the very top, but he was still a top 10 pick.

Star only dropped due to a bogus heart condition scare.  That, and the murder/suicide in Kansas City that propelled them to a win over us which kept us one pick in front of the Saints.

In a Super Bowl or bust year, I can still see some value in wrecking the Falcons season.  There is zero value in a win over the Chargers tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, Camp Fodder said:

This can't be a serious question...

I can't even begin to explain to you. For starters the year isn't done yet. But the brightest spot is definitely Bradberry, he's the undisputed #1 CB. He's been good. He will only get better.  Worley has slowly been getting there but he's been getting picked on. He's a rookie though. Butler, when he wasn't hurt was producing as well. Sanchez and Sandland are irrelevant. low round picks so I can't really complain. In essensce you'd like to get at least a starter each draft. We have one.

It's still too early to even say, but it has been positive. Can't really gauge it Completely just yet.. 

Just now, Nails said:

Even in Luke's year, Luke was still considered the safest player in the draft.  Indeed no one knew just how good he was going to be and his positional value dropped him from the very top, but he was still a top 10 pick.

Star only dropped due to a bogus heart condition scare.  That, and the murder/suicide in Kansas City that propelled them to a win which kept us one pick in front of the Saints.

In a Super Bowl or bust year, I can still see some value in wrecking the Falcons season.  There is zero value in a win over the Chargers tomorrow.

I enjoy watching my team win. That is all the enjoyment I need.  But I still don't see any historical evidence that having the 7th pick is significantly better than having the 8th pick (just using those two as an example), I don't know what spot we will be picking in.  But maybe someone needs to do a statistical analysis on it.  :)

Archived