• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Calling all Millennials. I need to pick your brains.

pstall

48 minutes ago, scpanther22 said:

I know a of people are turing to social media influencers. Social media really is a great tool if business know how to use it becasue the moment it feels like an ad you just get ignored

Would you rather a company talk about what they are doing in a community or something like that as opposed to a straight up ad?

I mean on one hand you have to get your brand out there but seems you can be counterintuitive.

1 hour ago, pstall said:

Would you rather a company talk about what they are doing in a community or something like that as opposed to a straight up ad?

I mean on one hand you have to get your brand out there but seems you can be counterintuitive.

What they're doing in the community first..Makes people feel you're about something, That makes them want to follow you becasue they trust you and connect with the product on a personal level.

In the past we could just heap our ads on people and someone would see it but now with so many ways to tune us out, A lot times we have to gain trust just to advertise with younger people.

8 hours ago, pstall said:

Honestly, there is pretty much nothing a company can do to get my attention unless I'm actively looking for what they offer. If I AM looking, then just put the product out there with a focus on the differentiators and be a company run by reasonable human beings.

Simple enough. As I said earlier, companies just reek of desperation and it's unattractive.

7 hours ago, KSpan said:

Honestly, there is pretty much nothing a company can do to get my attention unless I'm actively looking for what they offer. If I AM looking, then just put the product out there with a focus on the differentiators and be a company run by reasonable human beings.

Simple enough. As I said earlier, companies just reek of desperation and it's unattractive.

Yeah this is it.  This isn't decades ago where companies found YOU.   When someone wants something (for the most part) they seek it out on the internet or they hear it from someone else.  Make a good product and word of mouth is the biggest advertising now.

I get turned off of big business throwing ads at me, honestly.  The commercialization of this country is sickening and personally I get annoyed by it, but maybe that's me.   They can talk about what they are doing in the community but a lot of times I take that with a grain of salt because it lacks real care unless the business model is built around it that is.   I like companies that build from the beginning of giving back.   Mark Cuban noted that this is the future with generations and entrepreneurs.   They want to be successful but just as important they want to give back.   This was when Cuban was talking about it's a waste of time fighting against Bernie Sanders' type voters because it's the future. 

This commercial would have never aired 10 years ago on TV - but it was so different and so funny that it was shared like crazy.. now the company is huge.. the demand for the product was definitely there but to answer your question - we shared this ad because it was funny, not because we wanted our friends to buy razors.. u understand?

whatever product you are trying to move needs to NOT be thrust down potential customers throats but displayed to the masses (sounds simple, huh)..

On 12/19/2016 at 1:42 PM, pstall said:

It seems companies are borderline obsessed with reaching Millennials yet never seem to grasp how to do so. 

Tell me. If a company was trying to sell you something or meet you where you are in terms of values and what is most important to you, how would you like to be connected with?

How do you think you are misunderstood or what assumptions are there that you just shake your head at when a biz claims to know you.

All i can offer is pie and really strange analogies.  

1. values are tricky. the plot is changing but not across the board. as a city kid, born in the late 80s, a lot of marketing just doesn't apply to me. much of it is just really corny attempts at humor or geared towards pop culture references that i didn't grow up with. in other words, leave the 80s in the 80s.

2. the only company that i saw consistently making funny OC in their advertising was geico. the last campaign they made was with raccoon cooking and they just had someone with fake raccoon hands doing like a POV recipe making video (kind of like what tasty does). i thought that was hilarious. then again i just haven't switched to geico, so that makes me extremely hard to sway. 

3. "REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DA.." k stop right there. again that appeal doesn't apply to ppl my age because we haven't lived long enough to remember when america was economically trending upward and before the wealth gap was expanded to jovian proportions. this is just an example of what not to do. it's a pretty common pitch, though. it's why trump largely failed trying to sell himself to any self-aware, more urban 18-30 year olds. 

4. take a look at this oatmeal graph and digest its message:

73f393ad132ed09e6b308da79bfa162c.jpg

16 hours ago, bLACKpANTHER said:

This commercial would have never aired 10 years ago on TV - but it was so different and so funny that it was shared like crazy.. now the company is huge.. the demand for the product was definitely there but to answer your question - we shared this ad because it was funny, not because we wanted our friends to buy razors.. u understand?

whatever product you are trying to move needs to NOT be thrust down potential customers throats but displayed to the masses (sounds simple, huh)..

I have said for sometime now ads are intentionally being made to go viral. Look at Old Spice. 

Keep this in mind as well. Because for so many years people have dvr'd shows its made companies have to be even more clever in getting eyeballs so they up their game for commercials.  Thus the sharing you mentioned.  It helps the company in the end.

All of this isn't rocket science honestly. 

16 hours ago, frash.exe said:

1. values are tricky. the plot is changing but not across the board. as a city kid, born in the late 80s, a lot of marketing just doesn't apply to me. much of it is just really corny attempts at humor or geared towards pop culture references that i didn't grow up with. in other words, leave the 80s in the 80s.

2. the only company that i saw consistently making funny OC in their advertising was geico. the last campaign they made was with raccoon cooking and they just had someone with fake raccoon hands doing like a POV recipe making video (kind of like what tasty does). i thought that was hilarious. then again i just haven't switched to geico, so that makes me extremely hard to sway. 

3. "REMEMBER THE GOOD OLD DA.." k stop right there. again that appeal doesn't apply to ppl my age because we haven't lived long enough to remember when america was economically trending upward and before the wealth gap was expanded to jovian proportions. this is just an example of what not to do. it's a pretty common pitch, though. it's why trump largely failed trying to sell himself to any self-aware, more urban 18-30 year olds. 

4. take a look at this oatmeal graph and digest its message:

73f393ad132ed09e6b308da79bfa162c.jpg

Totes. Anything that sounds like  "listen..." "Let me tell you...." "Let me ask you..." my bullshit meter goes off and there is a 99% chance I am not buying what you are selling. Another thing that sets it off is when people start there sentence with a chuckle. I don't understand it and it is super common with shitty sales people selling a shitty product. "

Them: "Ha, listen, you are gonna love this"

Me: "eat a dick"

On 12/19/2016 at 3:36 PM, pstall said:

Good stuff so far. What about financially speaking? What's top of mind?

I know if you are single chances are life insurance isn't on the radar. But what about credit or debt or investing?

The move to the cloud (SaaS, IaaS, and aSS) falls in line with millenials and the idea around consuming services as needed. Cars, software, homes, video games, everything is moving towards an opex model vs a capex model. Cash flow dictates what they have at any moment in time. Allow investments when money is in surplus and not force payments when it is not. Hurr durr millenial with a house response. 

I am in the business of arming businesses with customer communication channels that rapidly evolve #millenials

Archived