• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Could Jonathan Allen Fall to 8

Catufb85

10 minutes ago, Bartin said:

If he is there and we do draft him then we pretty much have to move to a 3-4 and it might actually work. We need all new edge rushers anyway. Short, Butler, Allen and Kony can all play 3-4 DE. Star and Soliai at NT. Addison would work as an OLB off the edge. Delaire too. Probably no place for CJ and Horton but they are probably gone anyway. Luke and TD still work as inside LBs in a 3-4. We could even put TD on the edge in some situations and bring Shaq into the middle. Ron has plenty of experience running the defense and we'd need to draft a couple pass rushers that fit the system. Biggest problem is making the conversion after free agency is already over.

Although it would work with the talent we have.. could you imagine Shaq and Luke in the middle, Thomas Davis and Addison standing up all the right end with KK Soliai Butler rotating in CJ and Kony.  Be like a Dick LeBeau 3-4 zone blitzing concept.  Tall lengthy DBs playing zone, blitzing Coleman more.   ON paper it would work.  If we lose McDermott to HC position there is a chance but very very small chance we make major defensive scheme changes. 

If McDermott leaves I hope we promote Wilks.

Not saying we should but:

3-4 with Allen, Star, Short, with Butler rotating in

Could Addison play 3-4 outside LB?

If he has the quickness, the extra weight is just a bonus, people just tend to equate higher weight with a slower player.

How does his quickness compare with CJ?  Also like Growl said he might be able to shed a few pounds.  Since he is playing in a 3-4 his workout routine might be tailored towards him adding bulk. 

Allen's a DE, stop looking at the weight and instantly saying DT. He's a huge DE who would be a monster 3 down player. Would be by far our best edge rusher since Hardy right out of the gates. If he's there at 8, he's the pick. 

50 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

Not saying we should but:

3-4 with Allen, Star, Short, with Butler rotating in

Could Addison play 3-4 outside LB?

If he has the quickness, the extra weight is just a bonus, people just tend to equate higher weight with a slower player.

How does his quickness compare with CJ?  Also like Growl said he might be able to shed a few pounds.  Since he is playing in a 3-4 his workout routine might be tailored towards him adding bulk. 

Only a little. He looks entirely muscle and you don't want him to shed that. Have him at 290 or so.

Barnett looks poised to drop a bit. He plays small and most of his game is beating his man off the line. He'll have 6'6" 272 lb Taco Charlton breathing down his neck at the combine too (who really should've gone to the senior bowl for this very reason)

Anyways yeah that was a dumb comment. Allen has burst and control at the point of attack, not to mention versatility. That's a nearly impossible trait combo to find.

If he's there at 8, you should definitely pull the trigger. I think you usually want to draft the guy falling down the boards than the guy unexpectedly surging at the last minute because long-term assessments are usually more reliable.

I wonder if anyone has done an analysis of that before: whether teams fare better reaching based on expectations or falling based on expectation... One guy I can think of is Aaron Rogers. Predicted to go top 5... slips all the way to almost the end of the first round. Lots of people questioned the move because they had Favre, but It ended up being a phenomenal pick for the Packers. Another guy: Randy Moss, but he fell for character concerns, not talent assessment. Counterargument: Randy Gregory.

Seriously guys? You don't think a young guy in shape listed at any where form 265-300, can get to a nice 280-285? Say he is 290 lbs, scp takes craps larger than 5 lbs daily. He poops, there he's "285". I honestly don't much care about his weight. All I care about is can he do his job? If he's 300 LBs and able to rush the passer while playing the run, great! Same deal if he was 235 lbs. Allen being able to move inside, is a big positive too.

Not saying he's jj watt or Arron Donald, but I'd have no issue with either lined up at a 4-3 DE. Both are in the 300 lb range and cause havoc no matter where they lineup.

Archived