• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ricky Proehl retiring?

SCP

1 hour ago, Devin said:

Good.   It was either that or get fired.  

Remember that whole "we're going to evaluate and make adjustments" thing gettleman was talking about? 

I'm thinking Proehl was about to be under the chopping block because of that evaluation.  

KB and Funchess havent developed ANY since college.   Ginn is one of Cam's favorite weapons because he's a vet that's already been developed.  

Shula?

5 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, and to your point, i believe your theory is right on as to why Proehl was basically forced to retire.  I just think it is  an unfair evaluation on behalf of our organization.

I'm not sure the evaluation was more along the lines of "Proehl is a bad coach"  it's more like "Proehl isn't the right fit".    I mean to me, it's curious that we had a 6'0" ex receiver coaching 6'4  6'5" guys.   It might not be a coincidence that Funch/KB play smaller than their actual size.   May also be why Ginn played better here.    This is all speculation obviously.  

2 minutes ago, top dawg said:

This "essentially forced to retire," or "virtually forced out" thing is a reach, people. @ladypanther already let you know what the deal is. He wanted the time to support his kids in their collegiate careers. Nothing wrong with that. He is still rightfully highly regarded as a professional.

IMO not too large of a reach.  Reason why is the timing.    Gettleman's presser was what...  2/3 weeks ago?  A presser where in his words he said it would be a 2 week process to evaluate the season and what changes needed to be made?   Now coincidentally Proehl is retiring?      If Proehl announced his retirement the week after the season ended I'd agree with you completely. 

Proehl wasn't forced out,  He didn't even retire.  He quit his job to spend more time with his family.  He wanted to leave coaching so he could watch his son's play.  Nothing at all wrong with that.  Wouldn't be surprised to see him get back into it once they are done with college.  And there was nothing suspicious about the timing. 

Some of you really do see conspiracies behind everything. 

17 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

Yeah, and to your point, i believe your theory is right on as to why Proehl was basically forced to retire.  I just think it is  an unfair evaluation on behalf of our organization.

There's zero evidence to back up that notion.

He's retiring to be there for his kids.

I find it hard to believe that he would be fired because of wide receiver development. He has received nothing but praise from coaches and former wide receivers since he's been in the league. Maybe Benjamin and Funchess haven't developed because they can't get separation and run terrible routes. Pretty sure Ricky would have taught him how to do that.

The guy's a class act, always has been, always will be. After a long and successful NFL career and then developing his own business (Proehlific Park in Greensboro) and then being a darned good NFL coach, he's taking time to enjoy his kids' college years and actually be able to cheer them on in person as they play for major college teams.

The guy worked hard and has the wherewithal to afford this and most importantly, he's got the wisdom to know that this is an opportunity that only comes around once, and rarely even then. After his youngest has graduated, I'd be surprised if we didn't see him back on the sidelines coaching up another group of pro receivers.

Glad we've had him as part of the team twice!

Archived