• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Our Future Tight End

Catufb85

43 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

I can't believe people would consider Howard at #8. The guy was rarely used at Alabama for a reason. He's not a Top 10 talent. If he didn't go off on Clemson, he'd be considered a Day 2 prospect. For a guy who is 6'6", he can't handle a bullrush... but hey as long as he burns crappy secondaries, right? Njoku is superior. 

As for those bringing up the #2 TE is suppose to primarily block argument, then what the fug was Shockey? Jeremy at that age was a poo blocker. He was only used as a weapon in the passing game when he was here. The selective history in here amazes me.

Rarely used?

Howard - 45 receptions for 595 yrds http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/333

Njoku - 43 receptions for 698 yrds http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3123076/david-njoku

Njoku has averaged more yards per catch, but I would guess he was split out wide as a receiver more.

I couldn't find any real stats on drop rates.

I'm not sure why one of them has to be bad for the other one to be good.  I think both of them have a chance to go in the top 15 of the draft.  Whichever one goes first could come down to what particular team is picking.  I've seen both of them rated fairly close on rankings.

The combine should be interesting if they both decide to complete.  Could be what decides who goes higher.  Also I'm not sure how accurate Njoku listed height/weight is. Some that follow Miami closer would probably know.  Howard went to the Senior Bowl so we know his measurements aren't inflated.

From the little bit I've seen Njoku looks more explosive, Howard is probably better all around when you factor in blocking. I haven't watched a lot of either but I'm guessing Howard has spent a lot more time lined up as a traditional TE(if I'm wrong I stand corrected).  That it isn't to say that Njoku can't become a great blocker just that Howard might be better in that role early in his career.  Best case Njoku becomes a Vernon Davis type of TE.  Howard becomes a Gronk type.  Not saying either will just best case.

I could see Howard being in play for us at 8, i'm not sure about Njoku.  Not that I think Howard is that much better but he just seems to fit what we like to do more.

4 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

And yet, if we're drafting a TE that highly, we wouldn't be using him for #2 duties. We'd be drafting one to groom for Olsen. In addition, those wishing for 2 TE sets don't want extra blocking. They want what we did in 2011 (you know... what Cam excelled in, and what Brady is obsessed with). So what the fug are you talking about?

What people don't realize is that Njoku could easily be NFL ready with how fast he's been growing.

Sure, there's easily a chance he'll be undersized his rookie season, but no doubt he could easily be ready by mid-season. His blocking technique is sound, and the only thing inhibiting him is his current size. 

He's everything you want in your TE of the future. I'd snag him immediately if he falls to the 2nd round.

3 minutes ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

And yet, if we're drafting a TE that highly, we wouldn't be using him for #2 duties. We'd be drafting one to groom for Olsen. In addition, those wishing for 2 TE sets don't want extra blocking. They want what we did in 2011 (you know... what Cam excelled in, and what Brady is obsessed with). So what the fug are you talking about?

If we were to draft a highly athletic TE, we'd be wasting his talents by just making him a blocker. I mean, I wouldn't a rookie TE blocking anyways. So did you really think that one through???? No, I didn't think so.

I'm butthurt? No, I just think you shouldn't be allowed to judge talent after declaring Worley a bust 4 games into his rookie campaign.

Thing is you can wish all you want but thats just not Shula's style.  Dickson actually came in here as a potential solid pass catcher but he came in to replace Swolebones in Shulas offense and has looked like garbage.  When he's had to slide to TE1 when Olsen got hirt he hasnt looked bad (remeber Atl blow out at home last year when Cam had that sick around the helmet throw to Dickson in the Endzone)  

Cam has also excelled in Shulas scheme, how quickly people forget his MVP season last year.  Njoku would be drafted as a Olsen replacement, thats it.  He can't play "Shulas" #2 TE.  Again go watch Leggett's film then go back and watch our games focusing on Dickson.  They play the same except Leggett's more athletic a better blocker and softer hands.  Sliding him into that spot improves the team Now, not a replacement for a guy 3-4 years from now.

Some people really on this Njoku train really should hammering shula leaving to because thats the only way Njoku is going to do anything for this team for 3 years.

11 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

What people don't realize is that Njoku could easily be NFL ready with how fast he's been growing.

Sure, there's easily a chance he'll be undersized his rookie season, but no doubt he could easily be ready by mid-season. His blocking technique is sound, and the only thing inhibiting him is his current size. 

He's everything you want in your TE of the future. I'd snag him immediately if he falls to the 2nd round.

His blocking technique isnt as sou ds as youd think.  Kid can block downfield, but again with the reference to Leggett.  Njoku just hasnt seen to much hands on the dirt, motioned into the backfield as blocking help etc.  He still has a long long ways to go blocking.  Great athlete, good route runner.  But just not there yet.  He's very much like Jimmy Graham coming out.  Put him in a system where hes going to line out wide or in the slot every time, he can make a impact when he consistenly catches the ball.  Until then your going to be sitti g around waiting like we are waiting with Funchess at WR.  And were not in a rebuild mode.  Were looking for guys who are going to make a impact Now and not future replacements. (Butler and Bradberry were replacements but replacing cap casualties)

3 minutes ago, ncfan said:

His blocking technique isnt as sou ds as youd think.  Kid can block downfield, but again with the reference to Leggett.  Njoku just hasnt seen to much hands on the dirt, motioned into the backfield as blocking help etc.  He still has a long long ways to go blocking.  Great athlete, good route runner.  But just not there yet.  He's very much like Jimmy Graham coming out.  Put him in a system where hes going to line out wide or in the slot every time, he can make a impact when he consistenly catches the ball.  Until then your going to be sitti g around waiting like we are waiting with Funchess at WR

I recommend you watch the video in this post. Goes over why he's not as bad of a blocker as most think:

Again, the Canes showed enough trust to use him on power plays in the red-zone, and he did pretty well. The only reason he isn't up to par is because he's still undersized due to his youth as a Sophomore.

Now technique? He's got it. He knows how to implement good blocking technique, he just doesn't have the best body to really dominate just yet. But with how fast he's growing, he'll be ready as soon as year two easily.

*EDIT: Ah, you're looking for "immediate impact guys." This guy is an immediate impact player. He's sound in receiving and technique, and he could possibly grow in an NFL ready body as soon as his rookie year with his frame.

Understand he's just a sophomore with all the upside in the world. I think he's far and away the best TE from this class.

1 hour ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

If we were to draft a highly athletic TE, we'd be wasting his talents by just making him a blocker. I mean, I wouldn't a rookie TE blocking anyways. So did you really think that one through???? No, I didn't think so.

I'm butthurt? No, I just think you shouldn't be allowed to judge talent after declaring Worley a bust 4 games into his rookie campaign.

I'm tired of you putting words on my mouth and I'm tired of you running away from it like the passive aggressive bitch that you are when called out for it, so I'm just going to link this right here for all to see.

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/boards/search/?&q=Worley + bust&author=LinvilleGorge

That's a link to all posts by me involving the words "Worley" and "bust". There's exactly two of them. The first I'm specifically saying that I'm not calling Worley a bust. The second is where I'm calling Promethean Forerunner a.k.a. "Worley's personal dick rider" out for trying to claim I called Worley a bust every time the kid's name comes up on this forum. 

Was I pretty damn down on Worley early on? Yes I was. Hell, he looked awful. But, he definitely did improve over the course of his rookie season. I'm still not 100% sold on him being the long-term answer as a starter, but I'm definitely willing to give him a chance to build on his improvements over his rookie season.

Sounds crazy, but with the TE talent in this draft, I say we should hope for a DG double dip.  Nab Howard and play him as a TE2/H-back hybrid.  You can then cut Tolbert and groom this kid njoku to be the future at TE2 with the little pressure of having either Sandland or Simonson behind or even ahead of him.  Could solidify the position as these two studs get big time reps behind could be future hof Olsen over the next 2-3 maybe 4 seasons.

Youd hope to address DE in FA and maybe a flyer on some mid rounders but I could get on board with a scenario where we swap picks with AZ grab Howard at 13 overall then pick someone like Njoku with our second and grab kpassagnon with an extra second to play behind a Peppers/Or/Williams/or/JPP, Addison, Ealy rotation.  Then grab a plethora of RBs in the 3rd.

Safety would still be a bit of an issue, but it's workable.  Bring back Munnerlyn and L Johnson to help bulk up the secondary to cover some of the weakness.

Tl;Dr version, I want all the TEs

I don't see us drafting two tight ends in a row with our round 1 and round 2 . But if that happened I wouldn't be too upset with Howard and Njoku . But I think if you draft Howard with a top 10 pick you'll get much more value out of the 2nd rounder using it for another position like safety or RB 

18 hours ago, Promethean Forerunner said:

So he's had a few drops. Point?

The guy is not as raw as you claim. He runs good routes and gets separation. Yes, his blocking is a weakness but his offensive production last season can't be denied. Without Njoku, Miami had an anemic passing attack. He was Kaaya's safety blanket.

Again, 4 of his 7 TDs were for over 25+ yards. 

Blocking can be taught. Athleticism and size cannot be taught.

We need someone who can block now so olsen will not have to stay in and help block ..Our best catcher is our TE Olsen he needs to be out there catching balls instead of blocking..Meed an upgrade at WR but I rather get aTE first for Olsens sake.

Archived