• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

My new Favorite Pick #8 & #40

Catufb85

6 minutes ago, Albion Panthers said:

My biggest concern is that all 3 may be gone by 8

That was my thought exactly while typing this up.  I don't see Adams and Fournette being there with their combines.  WE need some Qbs to go before 8 to really open it up. 

I do really like OJ Howard and Gettleman has made it pretty clear he is a fan of OJ as well.  I just can't see us taking a TE at pick 8.  Depending on the draft and whos there, I am fine with taking OJ in the first, but only by trading down into the teens and acquiring more picks.  IMO

3 minutes ago, Growl said:

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't think teams are going to bite the hook on simply sliding guys into positions of need this year with the quality of talent at the top and I hope we aren't the team that does. I think OJ Howard has pretty firmly established himself as a Top 11 pick for instance in contrastt to Derek Barnett, who plays a coveted position of need but is nowhere near the prospect Howard is. The draft is deep enough that I think teams will just wait to add "need" players, if you can call them that, and get what's good while the getting is good. 

So Howard is your favorite at #8 what about at 40?

Personally I agree with you that Howard is deserving of a top 10 pick.  You could make an argument that he had one of the more impressive combines of anyone.  Everyone was impressed with Fournette running a 4.5 at 240 and Howard basically runs the same at 250.

In a lot of ways his results were a lot like Thomas' because he was a top performer in almost all of the quickness drills while also being a heaver and doing well in the bench.  Most guys do well in one or the other.

Give Fournette all day at #8
#40 Chris Godwin- shocker one of the most explosive guys in this combine. Great 40 top quickness. Just a flat out playmaker
3rd Tanoh- huge freak DE
Comp- Leggett: kid will fall with a super deep class
Trade back up in the 3rd and grab Shaq Griffin- freak cornerwe got Bradberry to replaceNorman but this kid is Norman 2.0.

Sent from my SM-T710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

4 minutes ago, AU-panther said:

So Howard is your favorite at #8 what about at 40?

Personally I agree with you that Howard is deserving of a top 10 pick.  You could make an argument that he had one of the more impressive combines of anyone.  Everyone was impressed with Fournette running a 4.5 at 240 and Howard basically runs the same at 250.

In a lot of ways his results were a lot like Thomas' because he was a top performer in almost all of the quickness drills while also being a heaver and doing well in the bench.  Most guys do well in one or the other.

Howard is not my favorite nor did I suggest it though in certain scenarios, an outside the box selection this year isn't a bad idea. What I'm saying is that with the overall depth of the class, teams are going to more willing to draft on value than areas of need more than they usually would. I don't know who will be available when we pick, but if we went through the nightmare that was last season and get a pick this high only to come away sloppy seconds I'm gonna be disappointed. 

Just now, Growl said:

Howard is not my favorite nor did I suggest it though in certain scenarios, an outside the box selection this year isn't a bad idea. What I'm saying is that with the overall depth of the class, teams are going to more willing to draft on value than areas of need more than they usually would. I don't know who will be available when we pick, but if we went through the nightmare that was last season and get a pick this high only to come away sloppy seconds I'm gonna be disappointed. 

You had just said we could do better.  I was curious who you would suggest.  Taking the field is easy.

28 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

After watching this "Freak Show" of a NFL combine over the past 3 days I've realized and previously known that this draft is by far the fastest and freakish class I can remember on the defensive side of the ball.  Guys all week with eye-popping numbers on the bench, vertical, and 40 literally had me saying wow every time I got an alert with player to player stats.  I've been on the Fournette train sense he declared and think he still would be an amazing fit with the Carolina Panthers but with the depth of running backs and offensive players in this years draft, I am now feeling like I am thinking and analyzing like Gettleman.  With this being said I think the 1st 2 picks that would give us the best pick overall and give us the best picks that will contribute for the longest would be...

Pick #8 Soloman Thomas

Pick #40 Obi Melifonwu

These two guys put up freakish numbers and also areas of need.  Solomon Thomas could help anchor what could be one of the more feared D-Lines in the league with KK, Star, Addison/CJ, and Thomas.

Obi who is 6'4 220 just posted a 4.4 40 and a 44" vertical could help rejuvenate our Safety position adding yet another big rangy guy in a young secondary.  Bradberry, Worley, Coleman and Obi would be a solid secondary to continue to build on. 

My 2 cents.

P.S. I know this isn't the best 2 first picks imaginable but are a good possibility.

You and I just became best friends. Those are the two I want as well. I think we will get Obi.

16 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Huh? We would have had to use a 1st on Henry when he'd be just one of a bunch in this year's draft. Henry will be solid in fantasy, but honestly, I think there are going to be a few guys in this draft available at 40 or later that will be just as good and a couple (including Howard) who will be better. I'd rather have Butler + TE in this draft than Henry + DT in this draft.

So, it was the 30th pick he went 5 after us...perfectly fine. We don't need more DTs so I'd rather no DTs in the 1st or 2nd in both of these drafts so that doesn't matter anyway.

But even if we did Carlos Watkins had more sacks(10) this year than Butler in his whole career at a bigger/better school against bigger/better competition and that'd be round 2. I'd rather have Henry's 8 TD's than Butlers 1.5 sacks.

Butler is easily replaceable and is a non factor on our own team...rather having him than a proven scorer is laughable. It was a bad pick period, especially since we have a legit pass rushing DT that we apparently dont' want to pay him his worth. I'd rather pay KK and have our middle pass rush gtg for the next 4 years and solidify the rest of the damn team instead of stacking LBs, DTs, and RBs like we always fugin do.

38 minutes ago, Catufb85 said:

Pick #8 Soloman Thomas

Pick #40 Obi Melifonwu

These two guys put up freakish numbers and also areas of need.  Solomon Thomas could help anchor what could be one of the more feared D-Lines in the league with KK, Star, Addison/CJ, and Thomas.

Obi who is 6'4 220 just posted a 4.4 40 and a 44" vertical could help rejuvenate our Safety position adding yet another big rangy guy in a young secondary.  Bradberry, Worley, Coleman and Obi would be a solid secondary to continue to build on. 

Do this and follow up with Tanoh, and either Perine or Jamaal Williams in the 3rd. I'd be real happy with a draft that played out like that.

edit: Or here is another thought, double dip at safety and grab Buddah Baker and an RB in the third.

Archived