• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who's your top 8 candidates for pick 8?

panther4life

It appears the only player we can be assured we have no chance at is Garrett, hence why he's left off this list. Other popular players as top 10 picks I omitted were Hooker (because we have Coleman), Foster(stacked at LB) Allen(see him more as 3-4 end or DT which we don't need). 

1. Thomas - Best edge rusher not named Garrett. Would see immediate playing time in the DE rotation. 

2. Fournette - Polarizing player but would be an instant impact on our offense

3. Adams - Best SS prospect in years. Sure he can find a way on the field even with the addition of the other pro bowler Adams and be a key long term piece to the D.

4. Lattimore - Can instantly challenge Bradberry as the # 1 corner and would give us a great 1-2 combo at the position for years, plus him and Worley are only under contract for 3 more years and do not have a 5th year option.

5. Davis - Not quite the burner Ross is but is fast enough and the most polished receiver in every other regard. Would be an instant upgrade over Funchess and possible long term number 1 and potentially the best year 1 impact of any player. 

6. Barnett - Another good pass rusher, lacks eliteness in any one area but has too much talent and production to write him off. Very high ceiling on right team.

7. Howard - Most complete TE prospect. Can impact the run game and passing game. As Josh Norris puts it, he may be able to buck the trend of T.E'S typically taking until their 2nd contract before meeting true potential because he's polished enough in run blocking and pass catching.

8. McCaffrey - Just a true offensive weapon. Can be used in so many different ways to have an immediate and long term positive impact on offense and special teams. 

There is my elite 8 for the panthers, who do you have?

Thomas is the guy I hope we can bag. I haven't heard anything about Allen's shoulder issues recently but if he is a Star type player that falls, I could also see that one. The offensive guys seem generally over-hyped in the first round where I just don't see any mind blowing talent in the first half of the draft. There are some solid players but no one who stands out to me, which sucks because I wouldn't mind at all drafting a freak with 1st pick. I think we can draft a SS, HB, WR and TE with ease in the 2nd through 4th rounds in this draft and get guys with really solid shots at being able to be quality players for us. Outside of one of the top DEs in the first, I would love to see a trade back and an extra pick for a CB too in the 2 to 4 range. 

I wish there was an OT that was worth getting excited about but I don't see any outside of later round picks that are long shots to be more than a backup. 

@Promethean Forerunner @Lemory

If we draft Hooker, what do you think that means for Coleman? He's under contract for the next 3 years and played well at FS  before moving him  to SS last year. With the addition of Mike Adams on a 2 year deal even at his age, to me that shows the plan is to move Kurt back to FS. 

Would Hooker become the immediate starter and move Coleman to the bench and or trade block? 

1. Garrett - this guy has Julius Peppers type potential

2. Fournette - yeah, I think he really could be the next AP

3. Thomas - I think he's a more athletic version of CJ

4. Hooker - should be the best safety the Panthers have ever had

5. Adams - ditto the above, I have him behind Hooker because I feel like a true centerfielder type of safety is a harder piece to find than a SS

6. Lattimore - pair him up with Bradberry and we should be set at outside CB for years

7. Howard - we love double TE sets, but our #2 TE sucks. Immediately upgrade what we do, plus get Olsen's heir apparent 

8. McCaffrey - the wildcard.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

4. Hooker - should be the best safety the Panthers have ever had

Assuming he makes it and he's the pick. Would you have him start immediately ahead of Coleman? Let Coleman compete for the SS gig again with Mike Adams?

25 minutes ago, panther4life said:

@Promethean Forerunner @Lemory

If we draft Hooker, what do you think that means for Coleman? He's under contract for the next 3 years and played well at FS  before moving him  to SS last year. With the addition of Mike Adams on a 2 year deal even at his age, to me that shows the plan is to move Kurt back to FS. 

Would Hooker become the immediate starter and move Coleman to the bench and or trade block? 

IF we draft Hooker, it would be because Fournette, Adams, Thomas, and maybe Allen are gone. Hooker is being talked about as the next Ed Reed so he's obviously gonna stay at FS. Plus the guy you draft at 8 should come in and start immediately. If we did draft him, Coleman would stay at SS and Adams would be quality depth. I imagine they want Coleman back at his FS spot this year (hence the signing of Adams) but if a guy like Hooker is still their at 8 and he's their BPA, they could keep Coleman at SS and live with his faults. 

3 minutes ago, panther4life said:

Assuming he makes it and he's the pick. Would you have him start immediately ahead of Coleman? Let Coleman compete for the SS gig again with Mike Adams?

Get them to camp and figure it out. I like Coleman, but Kurt Coleman isn't a reason to pass on a prospect like Hooker IMO.

With that said, there's been little to nothing to indicate that we're seriously interested in Hooker so it's probably a moot point. Evidently, Panthers brass DO think Kurt Coleman is a reason to pass on a prospect like Hooker.

Archived