• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

McCaffrey lined up as receiver (10 gifs)

panther4life

I wanted to see where all the hype as McCaffrey being some kind of elite weapon out of the slot. So first I went here. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-mccaffrey-1/gamelog/2016/ . There I found he had 5 games with 4 or more receptions (out of 11). He had 37 receptions total and based off this, I would tend to believe 60% or more came as simple dumpoff's when he's lined up at RB

So I chose those 4 games where he had the most receptions. Then I went to http://draftbreakdown.com/players/christian-mccaffrey/ and looked for every time he lined up as a receiver. I found 13 instances in those games. 2 of which he was not targeted because he was well covered. 10 of the other 11 are posted below. For some reason I cant upload the screen pass  he had against AZ. Go to draft breakdown and fast forward to 6:44 if you feel like your'e missing something (Not a special play at all, went for maybe 3-4 yards).

I also didn't want to come off as bashing him too hard (I just think 8 is too rich for him). So I didn't create gif's of the 5 passes he dropped coming out of the backfield that only traveled a few yards in the air that I saw in these 4 games or the muffed handoff that Jordan Willis took back for 6 in the Kansas State game. Last thing I want to mention is, I can not believe the number of TD's he score without being touched once or really even having to juke anyone. Just followed some great blocking and sprinted to the end zone. These are plays I could see a large number of backs make, because of the ease the blocking out in front made for him.  This is not a knock against him, more a compliment to the blocking schemes and execution by the team. I have no doubt he can shake and bake people with his agility in open space, use excellent vision and even spin out of some weak arm tackles, as evidenced most by his Kick Returning ability.

I heard he ran great routes in his underwear at the combine and his dad was a beast at running routes. So the potential is there, but I just get confused when people speak in absolutes about it and claim he's the best slot receiver in the draft, when theres no game day performances to indicate such. I know many of you don't have time to do the research, so you buy the hype but I'm just here to provide a clearer picture. Don't want to have endless arguments with anyone just want to make sure we are all basing our assumptions off the same evidence. 

ElEvng.gif

KONBgM.gif

0gNp5y.gif

DRDrGy.gif

nZ0XBE.gif

k5kKJE.gif

MjPgY5.gif

oYoKE3.gif

Q1lmVL.gif

DRDrGy.gif

16 minutes ago, panther4life said:

I wanted to see where all the hype as McCaffrey being some kind of elite weapon out of the slot. So first I went here. http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/christian-mccaffrey-1/gamelog/2016/ . There I found he had 5 games with 4 or more receptions (out of 11). He had 37 receptions total and based off this, I would tend to believe 60% or more came as simple dumpoff's when he's lined up as a receiver.

So I chose those 4 games where he had the most receptions. Then I went to http://draftbreakdown.com/players/christian-mccaffrey/ and looked for every time he lined up as a receiver. I found 13 instances in those games. 2 of which he was not targeted because he was well covered. 10 of the other 11 are posted below. For some reason I cant upload the screen pass  he had against AZ. Go to draft breakdown and fast forward to 6:44 if you feel like your'e missing something (Not a special play at all, went for maybe 3-4 yards).

I also didn't want to come off as bashing him too hard (I just think 8 is too rich for him). So I didn't create gif's of the 5 passes he dropped coming out of the backfield that only traveled a few yards in the air that I saw in these 4 games or the muffed handoff that Jordan Willis took back for 6 in the Kansas State game. Last thing I want to mention is, I can not believe the number of TD's he score without being touched once or really even having to juke anyone. Just followed some great blocking and sprinted to the end zone. These are plays I could see a large number of backs make, because of the ease the blocking out in front made for him.  This is not a knock against him, more a compliment to the blocking schemes and execution by the team. I have no doubt he can shake and bake people with his agility in open space, use excellent vision and even spin out of some weak arm tackles, as evidenced most by his Kick Returning ability.

I heard he ran great routes in his underwear at the combine and his dad was a beast at running routes. So the potential is there, but I just get confused when people speak in absolutes about it and claim he's the best slot receiver in the draft, when theres no game day performances to indicate such. I know many of you don't have time to do the research, so you buy the hype but I'm just here to provide a clearer picture. Don't want to have endless arguments with anyone just want to make sure we are all basing our assumptions off the same evidence. 

It's all about context , its not like Standford had the greatest wide recivers out on the field. Most defense knew the ball was going to McCaffrey.

Reason Patirots are successful using Eddleman & Hogan is the supporitng cast around them. 

Patirots always have good Power & Zone running game . 

They always have TEs that is really the #1 WR along with good supporitng TE that can play inline & FB.

McCaffrey will be succesful with the Pantehrs becasue of  the scheme

What you see is a receiver who follows his blocking well and rarely gets tackled by the first guy. I can't tell you how many times our receivers go down with first contact or don't try and juke a defender. Several times he would be short of the first down and then juke someone for the extra yards. The mark of a great slot receiver is yards after the catch. He excels at not going down with first contact even when everyone knew where the ball was going. The hype is real and when we look back at Fournette and McCaffreys rookie year McCaffrey will outshine Fournette and it won't even be close.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

4 minutes ago, Eazy-E said:

There will be at least 10 better prospects than him available when the Panthers pick at 8. I don't think Dave is that dumb.

I don't think a hog molly minded GM picks a 200lb running back at 8.  

Think the idea that he can be a plus slot receiver is definitely a bit of a projection - Stanford just didn't use him like that.  Stanford used him more as a receiving threat out of the backfield.  

He looks extremely comfortable when catching the ball and is dangerous with the ball in his hands.  Think there is plenty of evidence that will likely be a plus receiver in the league.  To your point, early in his career those receiving yards may come more out of the backfield than the slot, given his relative lack of experience running slot WR routes.  

But all of his athletic testing suggests that running routes from the slot shouldn't be a problem.  Fourth .gif below shows a great release and route to beat zone coverage from a slot alignment.

1*yCqC9RuKPBYu_m_FTrJMaA.gif

ANMcCaffrey.gif

apr-06-2017-14-41-19.gif?w=1000

McCaffrey.gif

giphy.gif

1*EqTyZCDH-x0qxE9inGtWgA.gif

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

What you see is a receiver who follows his blocking well and rarely gets tackled by the first guy. I can't tell you how many times our receivers go down with first contact or don't try and juke a defender. Several times he would be short of the first down and then juke someone for the extra yards. The mark of a great slot receiver is yards after the catch. He excels at not going down with first contact even when everyone knew where the ball was going. The hype is real and when we look back at Fournette and McCaffreys rookie year McCaffrey will outshine Fournette and it won't even be close.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

I could halfway see your point until that last sentence.  Won't even be close, huh? I doubt it. But even if you're right, the two won't be judged by their rookie year, they will be judged by their career.  At the end of the day, Fournette will likely be the one with the more prolific one. 

Archived