• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Shula wants to evolve

truthjuice

Maybe it occured to him he could lose his free ride. B/c how do you decide to evolve after twenty years randomly? I'll believe it when I see it. I've always heard things they were doing in camp to change up the offense and nothing actually changed. We have two twin towers (three if you count olsen) who should be spread out and looking for a mismatch in the redzone for a fade route and we never do it. 

Also I want to point out that there was narrative started a few months back, (by Igo if I'm not mistaken) that Shula was a "yes man" for Cam. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing, if true. It might mean that he takes what his players say into account and tries to design an offense that they are comfortable in.
It does, however, conflict with the narrative that Shula is holding the offense and players back.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

Maybe it occured to him he could lose his free ride. B/c how do you decide to evolve after twenty years randomly? I'll believe it when I see it. I've always heard things they were doing in camp to change up the offense and nothing actually changed. We have two twin towers (three if you count olsen) who should be spread out and looking for a mismatch in the redzone for a fade route and we never do it. 

He already evolved this offense once when he studied all that college tape and incorporated the zone read into this offense. How is everybody forgetting that? Whether you like the zone read or not, he did evolve and he did put that in just  for Cam Newton and at least half the league is doing it on occasion now.

When Gettleman got here, I believe he recognized our cap situation would limit us.  Therefore he built a team to be competitive with limited resources.  The way to do this is with a strong defense, a strong ball-control running game, and a QB that can make a play at the end of the game.

Shula's part was building a strong rushing attack.  In his four years, we've been ranked 11,7,2, and 10 in rushing yards per game.  We're also 40-24.  The man is doing his job.

Shula had exactly one speed guy to add to the mix, but the guy was so maddeningly inconsistent.  Can you imagine how frustrating it must have been to run a bunch of plays designed to draw the defense where you wanted them to be in  order to set up a deep pass only to see it clang off of Ginn's mitts over and over again

Now we finally have some new weapons for our offense.  Fast guys that can catch and run.  Shula's never been in this position before.  He doesn't need to make drastic changes to the offense because the players we have are so much better (and no longer hurt).  I expect vastly better execution this year with a few new wrinkles designed to pressure the defense with our 2 new speed guys.  Personally I can't wait to see what he can do.

I just hope he's not doing tunnel vision thinking a small play calling evolution and totally rethinks what HE has to work with and the plays, time management, SCORING, fatigue ect. 

My biggest fear is O line depth.. we lose say, Trai or Ryan.. we fall apart and can't get any yards. I really hope we can protect Cam and move the ball. You see when we have momentum we are hella hard to stop.. but we have soooo many 3 and outs that just have 0 energy to them. Which usually ends up the other team scoring because the defense is on the field nonstop.

I dont get how we're going to evolve with the players we just got. The only change I see is more passes to our RB's. If anything it looks like we're going to go back to 2015 with more up-tempo and misdirection to confuse opponents and cause match-up problems

With that being said, how is KB and Funch going to fit in all of this? Just run vertical routes? Maybe throw Funch and KB in the slot sometimes might really help

17 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Cam isn't Brady. I agree we need to do more short check down passes, but you need to take advantage of Cam's arm.

last year the Ravens tried turning Flacco into a check down QB he was horrible 

You take what ever the offense gives you. 

If they are leaving the shirt underneath stuff open you take it. Once they start to adjust to take away the short underneath routes you hit them deep. 

That is my problem with Shula and Cam. Lost count how many times dudes were wide open in the flats or underneath and Cam throws it deep into double coverage or some very low percentage fade/ go route. 

doesn't anyone remember how to stop the Panthers offense since Shula has been the OC in Carolina contain Cam/double Olsen/make Cam throw...the reason for that saying is because of an obvious  lack of talent on the offensive side of the ball.

so if Cam needs more talent in order to succeed then on the same token wouldn't Shula also in order to expand his playbook and become  more unpredictable with his play calling

Shula was an intstrumental piece of the puzzle when it came to developing talent on the offensive side of the ball.as a QB coach Cam Newton shattered all types of records whenever he was just a rookie and was named the OROY.whenever Ted Ginn who performed at his best while in Carolina was the #1 reciever Cam won the NFL MVP.Olsen has consistently had 1000 yard seasons and is recognized as one of the best TE in the league to this day. KB had a 1000 yards his  rookie year and became the 1st WR in franchise history to accomplish such an impressive feat.

simply put whenever Shula is given talent he delivers the goods time and time again

In that same vein, Shula got more out of Ted Ginn than any other OC he has played for. I think Woodie hit the nail on the head the other day when he pointed out that Shula's problem is situational play calling more than anything else. 

So who is in charge of situational playcalling? Shula who calls the play or Cam who reads the defense and changes it based on what he sees in that particular situation.

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Archived