• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What are your Top 10 sauces/marinades?

SCP

13 hours ago, Panthro said:

I wrote a list out but it's on my comp.

Lupos Spiede sauce is my jam of late

One of my favorites ... Salamidas Spiedie sauce is good too ... and available in Teeter and Food Lion.  Shocker is right ... spiedies on a piece of Italian bread ... Yum!

Honestly, though - if you buy good cuts of meat, you don't really need marinades. Marinades are good for tougher cuts of meat, where the marinade will help break down the fibers to make the meat more tender.

So let's talk your basic steak.  Buy a good one, first. Have had good success at Sam's, Costco. Both carry "prime", but I can't always justify the price difference over "choice".

But here's how you can dry-age any steak to give it a real steakhouse touch -- all in about an hour+.

• Trim off the hard, white fat off the perimeter of your meat.  Then do the same with your steak.  Leave a little bit of fat there, but you don't want a crapload like the store will try to sell you.
  • Pat your meat dry on both sides with a paper towel. Then do the same with your steak (this joke will never get old).  You want your meat to be dry.
  • Make a mixture of 50% salt, 50% cornstarch and apply liberally on both sides of the steak. You don't want a paste, but don't be a pansy with your seasoning here. 
  • Put your steaks onto a rack, and put em in the freezer, uncovered, for about 30-60 minutes.  This, plus the salt, will help draw the moisture out of your steaks.  Drier steaks = better grilling.
  • Heat your grill to high. Clean your grate -- lots of folks say you should clean your grates while they're hot. I've found this to be helpful myself, but YMMV.
  • Brush just a little bit of oil onto the grates. Your steak will thank you later.  (Not a lot of oil, just enough)
  • Sear your steaks on the hot side of the grill for 2-3 minutes.  DON'T MOVE THE STEAKS, IDIOT.  Just let 'em sit there.  Have a beer.
  • Finish your beer
  • Try to flip the steak, gently. If they don't move, let 'em cook a little longer.  If the crust isn't there, let 'em cook a little longer.  Cook the other side of the steak on the hot side of the grill for 2-3 minutes.
  • Drink another beer.
  • Once the charring is done on both sides, move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill to finish cooking to your desired temperature.  If you don't know how to tell temp by touch, get a freakin' thermometer. 
  • Take the steaks off the grill about 10 degrees before your desired doneness, take them off the grill and let them sit -- covered with foil -- for about 5 minutes before you cut your meat.
  • DON'T CUT YOUR MEAT YET.  Pour another beer.
  • Fine, now have your steak.

The salt/cornstarch should have burned off onto a crust -- you can scrape it off or you can eat it, up to you.  Me, I scrape off like 75% of it, but that's personal preference.

Have u tried making your own bang bang shrimp yet?? Just wondering.. I have seen a few recipes and not sure if u tried one yet as I know u like to cook good poo!! So just wondering if u have a good recipe as spices and shrimp aren't cheap!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Friends of my sister own the Bonefish franchise in Wilmington and my brother in law has the recipe. It's basically mayo and sweet chili sauce. Pan fries the shrimp. Think my bro-in-Law uses Frank's sweet chili sauce

10 hours ago, SCP said:

Friends of my sister own the Bonefish franchise in Wilmington and my brother in law has the recipe. It's basically mayo and sweet chili sauce. Pan fries the shrimp. Think my bro-in-Law uses Frank's sweet chili sauce

I seen a few recipes on-line that I want to try.. that's the main ingredients I have been seeing too..was just curious. thanks man

On 6/27/2017 at 7:44 PM, SCP said:

My Top 10:

General Tso

Bad Daddy Sauce

ROs BBQ Slaw

Shrimp (aka Yum Yum) Sauce

A1

Marinara

Eastern NC BBQ

Franks Red Hot

Cholula

Sausage gravy

Honorable Mention:

Bang Bang shrimp sauce at Bonefish

1, 4 and 7 out of your list for me.  To marinate any meat, I like the basic Italian dressing better than anything.

I have eaten the same lunch five days a week for the past six years. A salad, with tuna that features FRANK'S RED HOT as my dressing. I know it sounds strange, but I love it and I'm a man of habit. Give it a try!

As for marinades, I am a big Dale's supporter. 

Archived