• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Salary Cap Implications and our Roster.

As the team enters the preseason and prepares for the big cut, it is interesting to see how current cap figures play into the decisions made by the front office.  I have compiled a list of players, who if are cut, will save the Panthers on cap room.  Of course, a number of these players are not going anywhere.  My passion is looking at the salary cap and team building.  If this does not interest you, please, evacuate this thread. 

Charles Johnson: Cap hit (4.36), Dead Cap (0) = 4.36 mil savings.  The Panthers unofficial depth chart currently has CJ listed as starting at the left DE position.  He likely isn't going anywhere. Though, with Peppers, Addison, Horton, and Hall also competing for this position it is not 100%. 

Greg Olsen: Cap hit (10.35), Dead Cap (6.6) = 3.75 mil savings. Just skip past this. Given our lack of depth at TE and his prolific numbers, Olsen is more likely to see an extension than a cut. 

Graham Gano: Cap hit (4), Dead Cap (.75) = 3.25 mil savings.  This is the first cut that would actually make sense.  Harrison Butker is on a cheap, 7th round rookie contract.  IMO, Gano is going to have to seriously outperform Butker to make his 3.25 million in cap savings worth it. I am calling this one early, Gano gets cut or traded before the season. 

Andrew Norwell: Cap Hit (2.75), Dead Cap (0) = 2.75 mil savings.  Norwell is another player more likely to see an extension than a cut.  Current backups Dan France, David Yankey, and Chris Scott have not outperformed Norwell by any stretch of the imagination and Silatolu is actually listed as the backup LT at this point.

Ed Dickson: Cap Hit (2.72), Dead Cap (.67) = 2.05 mil savings.  My second cut prediction from this list.  While the Panthers have had difficulty finding that #2 TE, Dickson has not separated himself from Chris Manhertz, Scott Simonson, or Eric Wallace. At least not enough to justify the 2.05 million in cap savings. 

Julius Peppers: Cap hit (3.5), Dead Cap (1.65) = 1.85 mil savings. The prodigal son returns.  While a busy DE group may limit his snaps, it is hard to imagine the front office spoiling this home-coming. 

Thomas Davis: Cap hit (8.25), Dead cap (6.475) = 1.775 mil savings.  TD is a fascinating case.  In any other franchise, his snaps are limited by up and coming talent.  Between Shaq Thompson, Jeremy Cash, and the Panthers propensity to play 2 LB sets, TD would be looking at a restructure (pay cut) and eventually shown the door.  However, in bizzaro Panther world, he will likely be given a raise and extension.  

Derek Anderson: Cap Hit (2.24), Dead Cap (.5) = 1.74 mil savings.  The Panthers have painted themselves into a corner by not bringing on solid backup QB talent.  DA has been performing relatively sub-par, maybe to a point of being supplanted by Garrett Gilbert.  I believe there is actual competition here for the backup QB spot, though no one in the media has alluded to it. DA is 34 years old and in the final year of his contract.  

Kelvin Benjamin: Cap Hit (2.44), Dead Cap (.97) = 1.47 mil savings.  Many comments in the media are pointing to struggles by KB.  He is too valuable to cut, but could a trade be possible? With Hurney at GM, I won't say it is impossible.  Seems like a move that in hindsight makes a lot of sense, but would blindside (no pun intended) the fan-base.  

Next year, the Panthers are going to be in a very difficult spot Cap-wise.  They already have allocated 166 million towards the cap and will have approximately 11.5 million in cap space. This will be somewhat alleviated by the 15 million they are set to rollover.  But, Norwell and Star will need to be re-signed.  Olsen and Davis are looking for money as well. This team better be motivated to trim cap before the start of the season.  I believe that starts with Gano, Dickson, and possibly DA.  These moves add an additional 7 million to the rollover and leave us room to resign our own and still be flexible in FA.  

18 minutes ago, sanjay_rajput said:

I would cut Lee  as well couple of extra million will help extend Norwell & Star. 

Cutting Andy Lee saves us hardly anything as he is under contract through next year.  In 2018, he can be cut for about 1.7 MIL in savings. But his dead money escalators cancel out any cap savings for 2017.  

47 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

Cutting Andy Lee saves us hardly anything as he is under contract through next year.  In 2018, he can be cut for about 1.7 MIL in savings. But his dead money escalators cancel out any cap savings for 2017.  

especially when we can cut Palardy instead

2 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

Sanjay is mentally deficient he is fond of spewing dumb poo.

6 hours ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

DA has been performing relatively sub-par, maybe to a point of being supplanted by Garrett Gilbert.  I believe there is actual competition here for the backup QB spot,

interesting thread, thanks.

DA's bad play is definitely not being talked about much.  I guess because with Cam coming off surgery and currently not throwing he's deemed untouchable.  But I am less than thrilled with the idea of DA starting a game for us the way he's looked.  Maybe his arm is tired from all the added reps given Cam's been out?

I hope we keep Gilbert on the PS at least, and we absolutely need to look for a new QB2 for next year.  Probably way too late for this year.  Gilbert has looked quite good from all accounts.  Preseason games could be very interesting to see him on a bigger stage.

Archived