• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Shepard

SeoulPanther

Is it unusual that a player thought by some on these boards as recently as a month ago to be a lock has barely touched the ball in 2 pre-season games? 1 reception for 5 yards in 2 games? I don't think he's injured is he? I like his attitude and his early chemistry with Cam in practice. I'm not judging one way or the other but surely now is the time to experiment with his role and get him some catches? I'm not keen to defer judgement on this since as a starting receiver he doesn't have tons of experience and its a new team for him. I want to see something from him. Considering that we don't have a stellar cast of WRs it would be nice to see him go out there and demand the job like Byrd did in game 1 of preseason.

I don't know is this a reasonable expectation? Do OC's try to spread the ball around or do they target and give snaps to particular receivers in specific games in preseason? 

Is he actually a contender to be cut from the final roster? I know hes an ST leader but I keep hearing that as a justification to hold onto guys who aren't showing up at their actual jobs, and every time I see our ST they look rancid. And suddenly we seem to have a bunch of new guys who could be game changers for us in that dept.

Add to that, suddenly from having no slot guy to having a bunch of depth there. And cap saving. Is there an argument for cutting him?

Just now, KillerKat said:

well Byrd should be a lock. Samuel is too. After that Clay is our best PR. And Bersin has shown more than Shepard. That's 6 WRs. So I don't think Shepard should make it.

lmao. yes, Russell Shepard - who's been running with the first team the whole time & is our best ST ace - isn't a lock.

17 minutes ago, Snake said:

Might just mean they are looking at other WRs. Giving them a shot to make the team. 

I get that as the play unfolds the QB makes a decision based on his own protection, coverage and separation. But if I'm an OC i want to target a certain number of receptions for each player especially in pre-season. Surely across an entire game that's possible? Result be damned i want to know if these guys can do it. However good hes been in practice I feel sure he can't be happy about being anonymous in the two preseason games. 

The only WR's that should be locks at this point are KB, Samuel. Funchess is also a lock but shouldn't be imo. 

That leaves 2 or 3 slots for Shepard, Byrd, Clay , Bersin, and Duke. 

At this point I'd roll with five. I'd use that extra roster spot elsewhere since we have McCaffrey and Olsen two great pass catchers that play different positions than WR..

KB  / Funchess/ Shepard (I'd use Funchess to backup KB, having both on the field onthe outside at the same time is redundant and not very useful from a speed and separation standpoint)

C.Samuel / D.Byrd  . These are the 5 that make the most sense at the moment. 

Archived