• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"No one could run behind our line"

Jeremy Igo

I feel like this isn't entirely accurate. 

The Panthers have three excellent run blockers in Norwell, Turner, and Williams. That is three more than many teams have. 

Tyler Larsen is an average run blocker. Not a plus, not a minus, typical NFL lineman. 

I'll give you Matt Kalil is awful, but most NFL teams have at least one bad offensive lineman. No excuse there. 

As such, instead of saying "No one could run behind our line" I propose we use the phrase "no one could run in our scheme" as at this point it is painfully obvious the woes in the running game come down to play design, coaching, and when they are called during the game. 

5 minutes ago, Farachlombardi said:

It's the line not Shula man . Shula ain't the one missing blocks Matt kalil and Williams are . Shula gets blamed for every little thing and still works hard each week and creates a good game plan for fans that don't care about him or the good job he is doing.

giphy (24).gif

6 minutes ago, Farachlombardi said:

It's the line not Shula man . Shula ain't the one missing blocks Matt kalil and Williams are . Shula gets blamed for every little thing and still works hard each week and creates a good game plan for fans that don't care about him or the good job he is doing.

Honest question : are u that guy on Twitter that hates me because he is Shulas cousin? 

I think there's certainly an element of play design in this, but I also have started to question the decision making on the field.  We know that Cam has options, and someone's calling out blocking assignments.  If this was all scheme even a pop warner coach would have adjusted by now.

It's both...obviously.

You don't have a game where every RB posts a negative yards per rush avg. if either your scheme or your players have any quality at all.

Perfect confluence of suckitude.

My only hope is that Shula figures out how to be less predictable.  The scheme is overly complicated and the play selection is often questionable.

The real problem, though, is that the offense is out of sync.  When Shula calls a good series of plays (see the first drive in Chicago last week), the players don't execute (Samuel fumble).  We often end up in difficult down and distance, the pocket collapses (and Cam gets jittery), the ball is tipped, off target, or intercepted.

Then, Shula calls a real head scratcher.  Didn't we fail to score from like the 2 yard line vs the Eagles?  We suck in the red zone and that's mostly play calling.

Its a pattern of long developing plays, meaningless runs, wasted downs, etc.

Look at the ball possession in the Bears game.  WTF is happening?

We can't get any freaking momentum.  The players are not focused.

Everyone is to blame.

Including Rivera, who has reverted back to the same clock management issues from his first 2 seasons.

32 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Either Turner, Norwell and Kalil are extremely overrated in the huddle or our RB flat out suck.

Either way I’m 100% positive that a good RB would have out produced both Stewart and Mccaffrey by now with this same line and scheme. 

I think Norwell is pretty overrated. I think he’s good, but not to the degree of the fame his look and demeanor get him around here. But I think the problem with our line is 75% on Shula. Between the calls themselves and almost as importantly how late the bad calls are getting in, the defense not only knows pretty much where we’re  running but also exactly when to fire off the snap in order to get an advantage over our OL. 

Archived