• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Off season questions. #1. Matt Kalil.

Toomers

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Ugh. That contract literally has Jerry Richardson’s fingerprints all over it. 

Either way, we’ll probably be stuck with Matt Kalil next year as well. I mean he’s not atrociously bad with Andrew Norwell next to him, but I don’t believe he’s proving he’s worth his contract right now.

LMAO! You Gettleman apologists are the greatest. Terrible contracts and roster moves were because of our "meddling owner" but any good moves were "Gettlemagic!". 

Kalil has been getting better. Bringing him in here, you basically got an experienced LT who needed to be brought up like a rookie LT again. Between poor coaching and injury time, he hadn't gotten the full development one would expect by his years of service. If you look at it with that perspective, you can see he has gone from really bad to poor to passable.

In the playoffs, he's going to be up against some of the toughest competitors out there. He's going to get beat a few times, he's going to grab a few penalties (some of which are better than Cam taking a sack) and he's going to win some match ups. He's going to learn a lot in the post season and he's going to show one way or another a lot about his future.

I think he's going to do well enough to be inked in as start LT next season and I think we'll see it pay some dividends. By the third year, barring injuries, he should be in the upper third of LTs in the league and we'll be glad we kept him.

7 minutes ago, FugAllY'all said:

Really have no choice but to ride out next year with him and hope he improves. Honestly the discussion about him is incredibly hyperbolic and just an extension of arguments over the justification for DG's firing. The truth is outside of a couple games against elite defensive ends (namely Cam Jordan) where he got absolutely worked, he's been average to good. Certainly better than the revolving door we had last year and probably a tad better than Oher's 2015.

I’ve defended Gettleman on many issues and I was the first one blasting this move as a “dark day in Panthers history”: And he has proven that statement correct. Outside of a few games....he’s been awful. No where near the level Oher played at in 2015. And his contract is going to cost us other players. 

1 hour ago, Adb6368 said:

We are not getting a LT that could replace kalil where we will be drafting... the only chance we’ve had to draft a starter quality LT in the last 5 Years was last year and we didn’t. It’s free agency again or bust. The absolute best case scenario if we drafted a LT would be to have Kalil be a stopgap while he develops for 2 Years. 

This same question comes every year and the answer is always the same. We did something new last year that obviously hasn’t worked out as well as we’d hope. But the problem has only gotten murkier since. 

thats actually false. Ramcyzk last year went pick 32 to the Saints last year. Probably not common but it happens

2 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

thats actually false. Ramcyzk last year went pick 32 to the Saints last year. Probably not common but it happens

In recent years it seems like virtually all of the high pick OL are highly likely to bust. The better OLs of late seem to not be the highly coveted prospects.

We are stuck with him at least a couple of more seasons, very unfortunately. By far the biggest blunder in Gettleman's tenure as GM here.

As far as moving forward, you hope we can draft or dumpster dive for a better option. Statistically, that shouldn't be too difficult but I know in reality it is far, far more difficult to find an even mediocre player at LT that won't be expensive. There is always the possibility that Matt just magically gets better but after six seasons in the NFL, I think that seems very unlikely. 

Kalil is playing better. It takes awhile for a new offensive line to gel, understand protections with each other.

if we can get a LT 1st round great but I think DE would be more important followed by Safety and Cornerback. 

I wouldn’t cry if we got a receiver or tightend alternatively. I still believe we can upgrade Dickson. We can definitely do better than Sheppard and BERSIN.

a dp receiver there may also start right away. Funchess Samuel and Byrd but 2 of those guys are hurt locker players.

Archived