• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

In the playoffs, would it be bad to give Cam 20+ carries?

Mage

In the regular season, running Newton 20+ times in a game seems like an idea that would be crossed off before it was even said.  However, we have (at most) 4 games left.  Obviously our passing game isn't very good / consistent.  Newton has been our best pure runner this year, leading the team in rushing yards, touchdowns, and YPC.  He set a career high in attempts and yards this year and there doesn't seem to be any ill effects health wise.

With our dwindling passing game, do you think the answer to the offense (or at the very least, the best available solution) would be to just accept Cam as a runner and run him down the Saints, or any of our opponents', throats?  Cam has only has more than 15 attempts in a game once and it was against the Bengals in 2014 (17 carries, 107 yards, 1 TD).  In Cam's 15 career games with 12+ carries, we're 12-2-1.  

In my opinion, treating Cam like he's back at Auburn and using more power runs with him would help our offense more than anything.  At this point our receivers after Funchess aren't going to suddenly get better.  If we make it known that we're willing to run Cam all game, it forces teams to put more in the box to defend against the extra running option and gives our receivers more 1v1 with no safety over the top looks.  However he is the QB.  So it really depends on if we're willing to risk it all.  IMO though I think it's worth the risk.  Newton keeps his body in tremendous shape and he's handled running the ball a lot well.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue7Bg-6S1ic

^ That is an example of what I would like to see.  Cardinals on the first run have 7 in the box with the safety creeping and they are still missing the numbers.  Cam is too athletic to get caught from a backside defender and he's a terror vs DBs in the open field when he commits.  The next play only 6 in the box and its advantage us, especially after they fall for the misdirection.  There are so many advantages to running an offense that revolves around Cam running. 

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Yes because it wouldn't help us.

I don't see what else we could do within Shula's offense.  We don't have the receivers to run the Coryell, or Shula's version of it anyway.  Even during our stretch when we were running well, Stewart would still have multiple games where he struggled to break 3 YPC (if that).  Establishing the run game with Newton helps us with numbers and keeps the ball in one of our few offensive playmakers hands.

Not saying it's a full-proof plan, of course.  But I don't think it would hurt.  It's time to do something different.  We're not moving the ball in the air vs the Saints unless we force them to over-play the run.

Just now, Mage said:

I don't see what else we could do within Shula's offense.  We don't have the receivers to run the Coryell, or Shula's version of it anyway.  Even during our stretch when we were running well, Stewart would still have multiple games where he struggled to break 3 YPC (if that).  Establishing the run game with Newton helps us with numbers and keeps the ball in one of our few offensive playmakers hands.

Not saying it's a full-proof plan, of course.  But I don't think it would hurt.  It's time to do something different.  We're not moving the ball in the air vs the Saints unless we force them to over-play the run.

Using your QB as a battering ram 20 times in a game is not a good offensive strategy. There's no way to cut it any other way.

Realistically, if we do beat the Saints in NO, it's going to take a franchise record type of game from Cam rushing. Like we're going to have to put up 200 yards or more rushing. That means Stewart is also going to have to run like a madman, and CMC is going to have to look like he's actually played in the NFL before.

We have been leaning on Cam for years to mask things and he has never hit 20 carries in the NFL.   

Turner coming back should help run game hopefully 

lack of speed at WR will be what does us in

Archived