• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney on WFNZ

ncfan

12 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I honestly don’t even think we need to upgrade the line. 

Cam will get the passing game going with real WR’s and it’ll open so many other things like the running game. 

No one respects our passing game and that’s because they don’t need to when they see guys like Clay, Shep and Bersin pop out of the huddle and go line up. 

Do we need upgrades at safety and corner? Of course but you need to be able to score before anything else. 

A true Vet #1 type WR, who is also willing to help mentor the kids, would be #1 on my list. After that, do what you think is best, because almost everyone else you bring in is probably depth, with a chance to push for playing time.

We have a pretty good Defense. But we can still try to improve it. But that average Offense needs help. Especially, if we want to compete for Championships. And a true Vet quality WR would make a yuge difference.

I truly believe we are still a pretty good team. With a few good tweaks, we can be even better than that.

We'll see...  sounds good, but DG talked a good game to start each off-eason but rarely did what he said he would do.

Also, I don't worry about Hurney's ability to find talent, he drafted our best players after all...  My concern with him is being cap conscious AND the ability to cut ties with players whose production no longer justifies their salary.  Of he can't make those tough decisions, and there are several this off-season, then he learned nothing.

Just now, iamhubby1 said:

A true Vet #1 type WR, who is also willing to help mentor the kids, would be #1 on my list. After that, do what you think is best, because almost everyone else you bring in is probably depth, with a chance to push for playing time.

We have a pretty good Defense. But we can still try to improve it. But that average Offense needs help. Especially, if we want to compete for Championships. And a true Vet quality WR would make a yuge difference.

I truly believe we are still a pretty good team. With a few good tweaks, we can be even better than that.

Yeah I really don’t think this is as difficult as many think. If we can TRULY address the WR position and get 2 (yes 2 guys) and make some minor tweaks on the defensive side of the ball we’re in decent shape. 

We win yesterday with proper WR’s...

45 minutes ago, pantherj said:

Marty Hurney: "Andrew Norwell is a hell of a player. There isn't a GM out there who doesn't want that guy on his roster. But you just have to look at the layout of the whole roster."

I think he realizes that he can’t afford to pay Norwell what he can get on the open market and fix the other holes on the roster without creating another salary cap dilemma down the road.

I have been critical as anybody of the O line the last couple years but i gotta say this season they did a great job far as pass blocking overall. Run blocking is a different story, but im leaning that toward Shulas scheme just being to predictabe.

52 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

We need a Vet that knows the ropes at WR who is still in their prime. No need to draft a guy and go through the growing pains. Don’t have time for that. Plus Samuel and Byrd will be downfield weapons. Funchess is already a young gun.

I disagree with this 100%

It can still be a rookie.  Not all WRs have learning curves.  Actually a lot of the time they have a much much shorter learning curve than OL, DL, QB, CB, etc.

You have to look atbthe type of young guy coming in.

Samuel- never played full WR, was a hybrid.  Was said to be super raw going to be a big learning curve as he has to learn route trees running etc as he never had to do that

Byrd- there is a reason he wasnt drafted.  Only thing had was speed, again had a lot of learning

Funchess- played TE in college switched to WR his last year, again small learning curve.

These guys leading up to the combine were seen as a project in some sort of way.  Samuel was seen as a 3rd rounder at highest in every mock out there with people saying he shouldve gone baco another year.  He goes into the combine absolutely destroying it running a 4.3 and does a decnt job catching the ball, then his stock shot up.  No jab at Samuel, but anyone following all the predraft stuff last year shouodve 100% expected a bit of a learning curve 

A first round WR like Kirk, who's been playing WR, who already is a polished route runner with good hands, and knows the route tree. That can be a weapon.

1 minute ago, ncfan said:

I disagree with this 100%

It can still be a rookie.  Not all WRs have learning curves.  Actually a lot of the time they have a much much shorter learning curve than OL, DL, QB, CB, etc.

You have to look atbthe type of young guy coming in.

Samuel- never played full WR, was a hybrid.  Was said to be super raw going to be a big learning curve as he has to learn route trees running etc as he never had to do that

Byrd- there is a reason he wasnt drafted.  Only thing had was speed, again had a lot of learning

Funchess- played TE in college switched to WR his last year, again small learning curve.

A first round WR like Kirk, who's been playing WR, who already is a polished route runner with good hands, and knows the route tree. That can be a weapon.

This is correct. Rookie WRs can be major contributors. Need to find one who can produce from day 1

Archived