• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gettleman Wanted Shurmur as OC in Carolina But Ron Chose Shula

bobsfoodbasics

34 minutes ago, Anybodyhome said:

Any semblance of credibility you thought you had left when you defined Chip Kelly as an "elite offensive head coach." If that was the case, why did his illustrious NFL career, complete with the 28-36 W/L record, come to halt after 4 seasons?

Sorry, but Chip Kelly's offenses in those two years were 2nd and 3rd in points scored. So, yeah, I think that's pretty elite for OFFENSE.

I just really hope Ron's conservative tendencies don't cause us to completely waste this window with Cam and Luke.

But, I've always kind of felt since he's been here that with a more aggressive coach and/or philosophy, we would have already won one, maybe more Superbowls...  

I just hope Norv is the right guy for the job, and if he isn't fire them both after this season.

4 hours ago, uncfan888 said:

A GM shouldn't force a head coach to hire an assistant. That head coach should be smart enough to see things aren't working or to not hire someone like Shula in the first place 

Not sure why it isn't assumed that the HC should and is expected to make a good hire. ie The assistant had good success else where or he is a protege of an offensive genius. Shula had neither. 

7 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Guess we got the "Shu" part.  Just should've finished it with "rmur' rather than "la".

Said at the time that Shurmur would have meant retooling the roster to fit a WCO type attack.  And a West Coast scheme wouldn't necessarily have been the best kind of attack for Cam Newton. 

Not sure if Rivera took that into account when he made the decision.  I mean if he saw that as a problem, why interview him in the first place?  Granted, Rivera and Shurmur had been colleagues under Andy Reid with the Eagles, but still...

Still, knowing what I know now, I'd have taken a West Coast retool over Shula.

Instead of a retool,... we took da Tool,...

2 hours ago, Cartel de Carolina said:

If I am DG and Ron tells me he is wanting to hire Shula, I am telling him to go back to the drawing board or let me make the hire. 

Which I can understand, but that would have screwed up their working relationship. Gettleman's didn't want to do that.

Rivera and Gettleman had a very good working relationship right up to the end. Rivera said he was as shocked by Gettleman being ousted as anyone.

13 hours ago, Proudiddy said:

I just really hope Ron's conservative tendencies don't cause us to completely waste this window with Cam and Luke.

But, I've always kind of felt since he's been here that with a more aggressive coach and/or philosophy, we would have already won one, maybe more Superbowls...  

I just hope Norv is the right guy for the job, and if he isn't fire them both after this season.

I think we are going to get that hive brain mentality going this season, much like

23gbvh.jpg

Archived