• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gano signs 4 yr $17 Million w/ $9 Million Guaranteed

SOJA

Gano more than made up for his miss against the Saints by nailing a 58 yard fg, second longest of the year.  

I hate that they kept Gano over Butker, but given the circumstances we currently face, there is nothing wrong with the Gano deal.  In two years, his pay will be middle of the pack for NFL kickers.  

1 minute ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Gano more than made up for his miss against the Saints by nailing a 58 yard fg, second longest of the year.  

I hate that they kept Gano over Butker, but given the circumstances we currently face, there is nothing wrong with the Gano deal.  In two years, his pay will be middle of the pack for NFL kickers.  

Exactly I agree we kept Butker we would have saved like almost 4 mil but Gano did fine. 

1 hour ago, steven8989 said:

Guess what Butker missed a gimme fg in their game against the Titans if he hits that and they would have won. Let's just say it happens to all kickers and forget about it!!!!

1. Butker isn't a Panther now.  Gano is.

2. Is Butker being paid as the 2nd highest paid kicker in the league for because he did the great job of missing critical FGs in the playoffs?  No?  Then stop being silly and irrational.

3. I see you decided to pretend that your previous silly assertion that Cam never gets criticized didn't exist.  Smart.

3 minutes ago, tiger7_88 said:

1. Butker isn't a Panther now.  Gano is.

2. Is Butker being paid as the 2nd highest paid kicker in the league for because he did the great job of missing critical FGs in the playoffs?  No?  Then stop being silly and irrational.

3. I see you decided to pretend that your previous silly assertion that Cam never gets criticized didn't exist.  Smart.

It took you that long to come up with that crap. Lmao!!!

I think most people are just pissed at the amount he got. 

I think I would have been fine if he were getting 3.5/year. He "earned" that last season with a great performance, but his prior inconsistency should have kept that number down a bit.

Should he be the second highest paid kicker in the league?

Nah. 

But also his contract will look smaller in the coming years as better kickers are locked up long term themselves.

Either way, I feel like we are over paying for an average kicker, and I don't much like that. 

36 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I think most people are just pissed at the amount he got. 

I think I would have been fine if he were getting 3.5/year. He "earned" that last season with a great performance, but his prior inconsistency should have kept that number down a bit.

Should he be the second highest paid kicker in the league?

Nah. 

But also his contract will look smaller in the coming years as better kickers are locked up long term themselves.

Either way, I feel like we are over paying for an average kicker, and I don't much like that. 

I think fewer people would probably be mad if not for a) the two kicker fiasco and b) Rivera wimping out on 50 yard tries.

No matter how anyone wants to spin it, paying good money to a guy you wouldn't even allow to try from 50 plus just looks moronic.

2 hours ago, steven8989 said:

Yeah I think you forgot Clay had the easiest td go right through his hands. So guess what we would have been winning the game and would have been running the time out going to the divisional rd. I think everyone is full of crap on here about Gano. Look at the weeks Cam struggles does anybody jump on his ass for all his high throws or the weeks Olsen can't catch a cold. Gano missed one fg all year. Beat the Patriots with a clutch 48 yd fg. Look at the season as a whole imo Gano was the most consistent guy on the team all year.

I can give a rats ads if he is consistent if he continues to miss points in important games. His job is to kick a fricking  field goal. He doesn' have to run routes, take hits, play every offensive snap. On the field maybe 8 times at most. If he made the field goals during those games we would have advanced. All he does is kick. He can' even be trusted to attemp a 50yarder why pay him like he is great...when he is average...paying him for touchbacks is what they are doing not field goals.

The whole argument about criticizing the Gano signing because Rivera didn't let him kick beyond 50 yards is really naive. First of all attempts from 50 yards plus made up roughly 14% of all kicks in 2017 (150 out of 1065). On the other hand kicks between the 30 and the 49 accounted for almost 60% of all kicks attempted in the NFL (634 out of 1065). Given that kickers made field goals at a higher percentage between 30-49 then over 50 yards, the importance of 50 yard plus kicks is really overblown. The money kicks are between 30-49 yards which Gano converted all of them. Once again the commentary of a few posters complaining about Gano have totally skewed the facts about what is important in a kicker and what he gets paid to do. If you look at Vinatieri with his 33 game winning field goals, only 5 were over 50 yards while 16 were beyond 40. His average was 37.5 yards.  So once again the money kicks are 30-49 and in 2017 Gano was perfect from that distance. For reference, Gano has 8 game winning kicks with 4 over 40 yards and 2 over 50.

9 hours ago, panthers55 said:

When Gettleman signed Gano it was for 12.5 million for 4 years. Or 3.1 million a year on a total salary cap of 133 million or 2.3% of the cap. Hurney signs him after a probowl year for 4.25 million on a salary cap of 177 million or roughly 2.4% of the cap. So if people weren't pounding Gettleman in 2014 why pound Hurney now? Given the economics of the salary cap which drives the increase in salaries the salaries are almost exactly the same. You could argue that given Hurney was negotiating with a player with more leverage coming off a probowl season that this contract was actually better than the one Gettleman handed out 4 years ago. Sure the guaranteed money was higher but that is where contracts are going. Look at Cousin's contract which is fully guaranteed supposedly.  Crazy. You either have to pay more and guarantee less or guarantee more and pay less. 

I did “pound Gettleman” for it. Didn’t like that signing, don’t like this one. Simply don’t want Gano as our kicker. I’d rather have a revolving door til we can find someone we can trust on 50+ yd field goals. 

Just exactly how many 50+ yard field goals did Rivera pass up? 2? maybe 3? And that is all on Rivera, not on Gano. This is not a bad deal, and Gano is one of the top kickers in the league. His touch-back % on kickoffs is amazing, yet no one wants to bring that up. 

This is not a bad contract, no matter how much you all want it to be.

25 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

Just exactly how many 50+ yard field goals did Rivera pass up? 2? maybe 3? And that is all on Rivera, not on Gano. This is not a bad deal, and Gano is one of the top kickers in the league. His touch-back % on kickoffs is amazing, yet no one wants to bring that up. 

This is not a bad contract, no matter how much you all want it to be.

Thanks can't get no one else to understand it!!!!

Archived