• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A logic thread

sharkkiller

I know that this is an uncommon occurrence here lately, but I thought we needed a refresher on drawing logical conclusions. So here are a few items that I think need to be brought up.

1. Free agency has not started yet. No free Agents can be signed until 3/14 which as of the time of this thread is still 5 days away. We do not need 10 threads a day about how the team is not making any free agent moves until at least that date.

2. Player for player trades are not very common, so don't expect any of them. Trading draft picks for a player is more common, but that brings me to my next point.

3. You cannot talk crap about Hurney's past and mortgaging the future (which he absolutely did, no argument on that point from me) in one breathe, and then complain because he is not trading draft picks for aging vets who may or may not be able to contribute to the team. 

4. There is still a salary cap in place, and based on various reports, we have between $20-$24 million in cap space left. We cannot sign every player with some name recognition that is rumored to be released. There will be a FA or two brought in, I am sure, but they may or may not be "top tier" free agents. I am still holding out hope for a Watkins signing, as I think he would be a perfect fit. 

5. Signing Gano was not the end of the world. He was one of the best last year, has just over a $3 million cap hit this year, and has the best kick off touch back % of any kicker we have ever had (which based on our kick coverage is a very good thing).

6. Gettleman is gone. For better or worse, it happened. We do not need to lament every move he makes, nor compare every move this team makes to what Gettleman would have certainly done if he were still GM of this team.

7. Hurney the Sequel is the GM probably at least for this year. Even if a new owner wants to get rid of him, it probably will not be until after this season. He has made some pretty major mistakes in the past, yes (some that have just really come to light), but nothing he has done so far has been egregious. He has cut veterans vs giving them back loaded extensions to free up space. I am sure that he freed up the space for a reason, and may not be done yet (Shepard, hint hint). 

8. While I have great hopes for the first round, I too am apprehensive about the rest of the draft. Hopefully, Hurney, as he stated, has learned from his mistakes, and will let the scouts and coaches have more input into this draft. But we do have a great chance to improve in areas of need with this draft.

9. Don't forget that a lot of our young players were on IR last season, so we do still have depth at a few positions (Hall at DE, Elder at nickel, and of course Byrd and Samuel at WR). So really, it will be like having at least Hall, Elder and Samuel as new depth, and they all have great potential.

10. Letting Norwell walk will suck, but we just cannot afford him. Same with Star, although I really think Star wants out, so that he does not have to play in KK's shadow (although I think he will find the grass is not always greener. Having KK beside him has helped him tremendously). But at least with Star, we have Butler and Love who can take his place depending on the situation, and hopefully we can grab a DT in the mid to late rounds for depth. Norwell will be a little tough to replace, but we do have Larsen, and Moton if they decide to move him inside. I foresee one of our 3rd rounders going to a guard. it is hard to value a guard higher than that, just based on the position they play (unless it is a stud, but they are always gone way before the 24th pick in round 1, and there is really only 1 guard that I know of that is worth a 1st round pick. He will be gone way before we pick.).

That is all I can think of at this moment, plus I actually need to do some work. But keep you heads up, it is still early in the off season, and even with Hurney, we can still be optimistic at this point. Every team is 0-0, and there is about to be some actual football activity going on. But again, let's at least wait until it CAN start, before we bitch about NOT starting.

No man. this is now how the offseason works. You are supposed to make a thread about the crap you had for breakfast. And its all good because its offseason.  Mods will let it go on and on even though its a trash thread!~

Otherwise, throw out wild mock drafts ad nausea, wild speculation on some player we wont even sign, throw in a few gripes about stuff that happened months ago. THIS my friend is what you are supposed to type here!

Logic such as you displayed is not wanted this time of year. ~~ 

17 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

3. You cannot talk crap about Hurney's past and mortgaging the future (which he absolutely did, no argument on that point from me) in one breathe, and then complain because he is not trading draft picks for aging vets who may or may not be able to contribute to the team. 

Great post, but do you even know what forum you're on?

48 minutes ago, sharkkiller said:

Even when someone is bad at their job, not every single thing they so is bad. Likewise, even someone who's very good at their job isn't perfect.

As mentioned earlier though, the problems with Hurney we're never based around methodology. There were certainly issues with his methods, but it had more to do with poor choices. 

A six year, 30 million dollar contract isn't a problem in and of itself per se, but it's bad when you give it to Charles Godfrey. Trade a future picks to move up? Iffy but I can't live with it. Just don't do it for Everette Brown or Jimmy Clausen.

It's not possible at this point to make Hurney a better talent evaluator. What you have to hope for is that he's learned enough to listen to the people who are. If that happens, then yeah, we have a chance.

But ultimately, I agree. He has a year...maybe.

Archived