• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why the Panthers offense didn't work

countryboi

3 hours ago, Hoenheim said:

Go to the 5:39 mark and you can see that CMC got 5.48 ypc running behind A.Norwell and 4.00 YPC behind Williams . Behind everyone else , holy fug is that abysmal YPC ...  2.69 2.82 , 2.53 .  And we fuging lost Norwell hahaha. Good luck 2018 run game!!! 

Some good quotes :

• "They didnt use McCaffrey enough, and when they did use him, they didnt use him in the right way"
  • "Giving (McCaffrey) anything less than 6 or 7 catches a game is criminally underutilizing him"
  • "The only thing missing is having a coaching staff that calls the right plays, at the right time, to take atavantage of what talent they actually do have" 

The gist of it I got is, let Cam call more of his own plays, use McCaffrey more, use better blocking schemes . 

We also faced a stacked box. Not this year with actual WRs. It still hurts losing a all pro like Norwell. Still that man got paid for a replaceable position. 

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

All those really awesome things he recommends about Cam and the passing game?

They'll have to wait for the next head coach.

Ron Rivera stepping back and letting his OC tell Cam to let'er rip?  

Charlton-Heston-Crazy-laughing.gif

You mean like we did in 2915 and even in 2016?

A fact that was pointed in the video?

5 minutes ago, Rags said:

ou mean like we did in 2915 and even in 2016?

We threw less in 2015 than we did in 2011, 2012, and 2014.

Here is the team ranking of the Panthers in pass attempts in a season since Rivera has been HC: 23rd, 26th, 29th, 19th, 27th, 20th, 27th.

All this in a league designed by rule to be pass-friendly.

If you think that Rivera has allowed the offense to "let'er rip" in the passing game at any time since 2011, you are delusional.

Take away. 

Enjoy Shula NY giants 

We are not better off with Norwell gone. Should have paid the man. 

Norv needs to use Cam as a elite QB not how you use Trent Dilfer. 

We have a ton of weapons on offense besides our line. 

21 minutes ago, Snake said:

for Cam Take away. 

Enjoy Shula NY giants 

We are not better off with Norwell gone. Should have paid the man. 

Norv needs to use Cam as a elite QB not how you use Trent Dilfer. 

We have a ton of weapons on offense besides our line. 

Trent won a Super Bowl,  We dont have to have Cam "Let it Rip" so to speak,  we dont need to be in the top 10 or top half in passing attempts to utilize Cam. We jus need to have the right personnel for Cam to make the plays when needed. Shula was a good OC, not Norv for sure but not a bad OC, We went deep in the playoffs a few times and a Super Bowl with Shula... But we had a lot better balanced team. We had NO running game last year or a good OL . Last year we didnt have the personnel for a balanced offensive attack. CMC isn't a good enough running back  to run anywhere without a good line to open holes for him to run thru and Steward wasn't running on all cylinders... In general, with our personnel last year, i dont think any OC could have done much better than Shula did last year as a whole...  IMO 

Man...  this guy is good.  Spot on across the board.  He really cements and affirms what so many here have been saying for years.  I really get the feeling that Shula almost, and maybe subconsciously, hampered Cam so that he couldn't shine without Shula getting credit for it.  For instance, we all saw years back how effective and explosive the offense was when Cam was allowed autonomy over it.  The comeback in Seattle in '15 comes to mind.  When Cam was allowed to spread it out, hurry it up, and make adjustments at the line, we felt unstoppable.  And it seemed like we let him do that a lot in '15.  And what happened?  Cam won MVP that year.  We still ran options.  We still had a power game.  But, Cam was in the driver seat.  And then, the last 2 seasons, it felt like Shula wanted to show the world that it was HIS offense.  Maybe his intention was to help Cam, but i feel like it was more to prove something to everyone.  

As the analysis here stated, we relied heavily on personnel groupings and specific plays to gain any degree of success, and instead of gameplanning to augment our weaknesses, Shula insisted on just ignoring them altogether.  In turn, the offense became robotic, rigid, and erased any margin for error.  I remember describing Shula's coaching at one point like watching someone walk into a titanium wall repeatedly.  The person may have the ability to walk around the wall, or have a ladder to easily go over the wall, but NOPE, they're going to show you that if you walk into it enough, eventually you're gonna walk through it lol.  That was Shula's offense.

I'm really hoping Norv gives Cam that autonomy that we have all known for far too long is what actually makes our offense operate at its best.  And knowing Norv's reputation is already established and he isn't an insecure child trying to outrun his father's shadow and secure a name for himself, I suspect he will give Cam much more control.  I'm excited about this season.

4 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Easy to blame Shula when Gettleman was drafting a bunch of jag players. And Rivera is a dinosaur so you know he was behind our run up the middle offense.

Easier to blame Shula when you watch the games or review the tape. When a outsider watches tape and immediatly recognizes the OC didn't know what he was doing then it's not a debate anymore. It's the truth.

Great breakdown and sadly none of it was surprising. I think Shula's inability to take full advantage of CMC was ultimately his downfall and thank God for that! 

Norv knows how to use a talent like CMC, I'm licking my chops for what we're about to see.

12 hours ago, Snake said:

Enjoy Shula NY giants 

Shula won't be doing poo with the NY Giants, the NYG HC will be designing and calling all the plays there.

Shula *might* be allowed to make suggestions to the QBs on their mechanics. 

But, then again, Eli *might* be allowed to tell Shula to take a flying leap too.

Archived