• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

An Article on Christian McCaffrey, Shula's Ineptitude, and whether he can have a Todd Gurley-esque jump

Saca312

2 hours ago, Mikey818 said:

Better college player than Gurley yet to be seen as a pro. They are obviously both talented 

The Golden Calf of Bristol was an amazing college player, as was Vince Young, Matt Lienart, etc. 

Amazing college players doesn’t always equal nfl player 

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I think Moton will actually be as good or better. Norwell is a clear loss, but you are missing the huge upgrades at WR and at TE2. Don’t forget Olsen too. It’s not a coincidence that he had 100+ in the playoffs and we had over 300 passing yards. He missed both regular season games and we had just over 300 yards combined in both games.

A new OC and much better receivers is going to more than compensate for the downgrade at LG.

22 minutes ago, Snake said:

Totally not true and CMC could have a better year than Kamara. Better offense in every way even with the loss of Williams who is less athletic than Moton. 

In what world must people live in to lose 2 All Pros on the same line and think they'll be better? If I were here making that same argument about the Saints, I'd be laughed off the board. 

I'm not saying the offense will be worse, although depending on the replacements, it may be, but I doubt it. But, despite common belief around here, players actually have to block. A coordinator doesn't just call a play and the line just gets out of the way because it's drawn better. Players have to perform. 

As of now, you have poo at LT, poo at LG, questions at C, and an unknown at RT. Maybe they can get the new WRs to come down and help block the DEs and DTs.

9 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Tiki Rookie Season : 3.8 ypc / 511 rushing yards / 299 receiving yards / 810 yards from scrimmage / 4 total touchdowns

McCaffrey Rookie Season  : 3.7 ypc / 435 rushing yards / 651 receiving yards / 1086 yards from scrimmage / 7 total touchdowns

Really, CMC may have gotten a few less rushing yards but blew him out of the water in receiving , total yards, and total touchdowns. 

Tiki didnt get a chance to accumlate alot of rushing yards until he started getting over 200 carries in his 4th season. After that year, he got well over 1000 yards a season every time he got 200 or more carries.

Its not to say CMC was an attrocious runner last season.. what he's mainly missing is ATTEMPTS. He averaged well over 4 ypc in the 2nd half of the season, if he dominated the carries (ex cam ran alot less and stew was use sparingly) , I bet he'd end up with a lot more rushing yards with the increased carries.

He’s going to get his attempts, or at least that seems to be the plan. But there is no reason for him to average more than 15–17 rushes/game. Especially when he going to catch around 90 passes. That would be around 350 touches. More than that is pushing it. Considering....

CMC has to show that he can do two things that Barber excelled at. Breaking tackles and staying healthy while carrying that workload. If there is one part of his game that stood out as his only flaw(so far) it’s his lack of breaking tackles. That will have to improve, and I think it will. The health part is just an unknown and CMC has been healthy so far. So nothing he has shown says he can or can’t. But I don’t want him getting 400+ touches in the regular season. 

26 minutes ago, Snake said:

Once again he comes up with the game plan dumbass. Clearly been stated. 

So if a player does something good to have a “hot hand”,during a game,  how does the guy who is not calling plays going not use him?  Riddle me that dipshit? You said it. 

There’s not an OC in the NFL that will have less of an impact on an offense this year than Shula. 

Shula couldn't figure out how to use his weapons. Of course, he couldn't figure out a Rubik's Cube if all the sides were the same color, either.

Hopefully, (and he's shown it in the past) Norv Turner can tell the difference between a strength and a weakness and gameplan accordingly. Hell, you and I do that every game, we just aren't getting paid. "Oline isn't blocking very well? Misdirection and quick passes." "Safeties playing in the box? Put the two fastest WRs on one side, fake a sweep that way, and have Cam roll the other way to hit Thomas (because I put Olsen over on the other side, too) or just run downfield."

3 hours ago, Mikey818 said:

Better college player than Gurley yet to be seen as a pro. They are obviously both talented 

College LOL Bryce Love is better than Mccaffrey. Putting up good numbers at Stanford as a RB is equivalent to being a QB at Oklahoma St or Houston.

2 hours ago, tiger7_88 said:

At his best and used appropriately, CMC will produce more total yards from scrimmage and more TDs than Gurley. 

Lmao sure

Gurley his rookie season in 13 games with zero support had 1000 yards rushing at 4.7 a clip

19 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Lmao sure

Gurley his rookie season in 13 games with zero support had 1000 yards rushing at 4.7 a clip

You're too hung up on semantics. I don't care if the guy rushes the ball, catches the ball, or sticks the ball up his ass and moonwalks across the goal line, as long as we score.

9 hours ago, GoobyPls said:

Gurley had more touches in his rookie season (250) than CMC had in his rookie season (222).

CMC had a higher average all-purpose yards per touch in his rookie season (5.9) than Gurley had in his rookie season (5.2).

So, yeah, I feel pretty confident that with competent play calling and the willingness to play offense (something I still question with Rivera), CMC can out-produce Gurley in yards and TDs if they finally treat him as the full-time starter he should be. 

McCaffrey with a competent running scheme and more consistent O-line play is capable of being a top five "RB" in the NFL.  He isn't powerful but he is very explosive and obviously versatile as a receiver too.  If you are expecting him to be a pile pusher you just don't get it but I still think he was the correct pick last year and will be a great RB for this franchise for years to come.

11 hours ago, saints4lifeagain said:

In what world must people live in to lose 2 All Pros on the same line and think they'll be better? If I were here making that same argument about the Saints, I'd be laughed off the board.

I was thinking the same thing, but decided to keep my rose-colored glasses firmly on until you brought it up. If our blocking is better this year, which I think it can be, it will be due to scheme not personnel; which is kind of the point of the article.

Archived