• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

on the matt kalil massive sack on the cam 3 step drop

Saca312

There's enough blame for both here. The first two reads, if I'm right, were both well covered. He wanted that check down in the middle but hesitated with the defender just 4 yards behind him. Had he looked to his right and saw that flat it's complete. Just something for Cam, Norv and Scott to work out. For a three step drop, Cam did have plenty of time.

For anyone who thinks I'm just looking to blame Cam, I have a history of blaming everybody but Cam for picks and sacks in 90% of situations.

5 hours ago, Saca312 said:

Some talk about the massive flop that caused a massive sack on cam.

geoff decided to be the contrarian and argue it’s all on cam.

Moton’s cutblock was solid and great. Matt Kalil, not so much tbh despite whatever Geoff wants to say. Reminder he has a history of bias against Cam for some odd reason, so in this instance he ignores what happens to Cam.

SavePanther explains how it disrupts Cam:

so basically, Moton isnt to blame, neither is Cam. 

Matt Kalil is a work in progress.

Also more or less the play design was bad. Its preseason so stuff like that is expected. Lots of things went wrong overall.

So, sounds like the solution to this problems is to just have Cam rollout to the right every single pass play to gain an extra second on 2 when Kalil gets blown by as usual...

1 hour ago, lightsout said:

Had he looked to his right and saw that flat it's complete. 

It’s a three step drop and a half field read. It’s logistically impossible to do a full field read in that situation so the play called for a left field read on that instance. 

19 minutes ago, cookinbrak said:

Was there confusion on the play call? It looks like the line was blocking for a screen pass. And both tackles turned around and looked at Cam like "What do?"

Not at all. Just a three step drop and both tackles were to do a quick chip. Idea is to have the ball out fast if possible but Cam likely saw Quinn in his throwing last despite hands down and that little hesitation hurt. Matt Kalil gets blame for not getting the DE out of the throwing lane tbh which is what I argued against Schwartz.

7 hours ago, Ship said:

I'm almost wondering if they change up the progressions in that play going forward. Olsen was open the whole time on the right side, but Cam started reading from the left and only got to Greg as he was about to be taken down. Kalil could have given Cam more time, but I think in the future, if our strength is on the right side and if Greg (a reliable receiver) is on the right, maybe we flip the reads on the play and presume the left side will break down quicker.

This is the entire reason for the preseason. To figure these kinds things of out before a real game. It takes a ton of trust to make that throw especially in your LT and I don't think Cam trust him still. Bc if Khalil misses that block it's a interception with NO one but Cam in his way. 

Archived