• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

A Starting Safety Has Hit The Market - Bengals Releasing S George Iloka

bobsfoodbasics

8 minutes ago, Castavar said:

If we AT LEAST don't show interest, then I'm going to be highly pissed. It would be Ron and Hurney basically saying "We are content with who we have". This guy is better than ANYONE we have right now, and is still only 28.

Unfortunately, it would be consistent with our usual approach to the safety position. Over the hill vets and mid to late round draft picks are typically what we go for.

I hope Gaulden is our future but I'm not confident that he's ready to start as a rookie. We know Mike Adams isn't the future.

Just because he has been a regular starter for another team that doesn't automatically make him a better player than what we already have.  Maybe he played poorly as the starter last year. 

I don't watch many Cincy games and I have no idea how PFF rates him so any opinion of mine would be purely speculative.  With all that being said he very easily could be better than we have, but I'm just not sure our coaches are as down on our safeties as the majority of this board.

Also he doesn't strike as me as the type of player you bring in to be a backup.  If you sign him you do so with plans on him replacing your starter.

1 hour ago, Castavar said:

If we AT LEAST don't show interest, then I'm going to be highly pissed. It would be Ron and Hurney basically saying "We are content with who we have". This guy is better than ANYONE we have right now, and is still only 28.

We can show interest all we want, fact is we don't have a competitive offer to even receive attention from him.

Don't we have like 1mil in cap space?

I'm seeing a lot of people here reallllllllly overstating Iloka.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love Iloka and think he'd fit us like a glove and make us a better team but if he became a panther I can see him getting poo  a lot here.

Still, please, he'd be an upgrade over Adams at least athletically. 

What’s Artis-Payne’s hit on our finances? I am unsure of how it would break down if we were to release him but if we free up more money than we lose he would be a no-brainer for me based on his age and our current stable of talent at the position. 

3 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

There have been quality safeties (Vaccaro, Boston) out there for months and we have not been interested in any of them. That is not going to change now.

I wouldn't call Boston quality looking back at his one good season, he benefited from having probably the best CB core/pass rush combo in the NFL and allowed him to capitalize a lot more and have a good season.

There's not a lot of teams that can give him the same supporting cast like Chargers

Archived