• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Baldy Breakdowns: Giants Are Running A "McAdoo 2.0 (Shula)" Offense

Saca312

5 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Shula neither calls nor designs the plays.  He consults.  In this case, any flaws in calls and play design are on the Head Coach.  

Someone posted a snippet yesterday where Shurmur stated that Shula does everything an OC does. Except call plays. 

I am not sure why folks are so hesitant to give Shula any credit whatsoever? He could design plays with the best of them. He just had real trouble implementing  them properly.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Norv. I just am not afraid to give Shula the credit where it is deserved.

6 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Someone posted a snippet yesterday where Shurmur stated that Shula does everything an OC does. Except call plays. 

I am not sure why folks are so hesitant to give Shula any credit whatsoever? He could design plays with the best of them. He just had real trouble implementing  them properly.

Don't get me wrong. I love me some Norv. I just am not afraid to give Shula the credit where it is deserved.

I saw an article that stated Shumer called and designed the plays, while Shula would recommend some.  

Everyone is arguing from authority . . . "I saw this article", "I saw a snippet", etc.  Never believe anything you read.  Not because the journalist is knowingly trying to mislead, but because the franchise is.  All NFL teams lie to the media.  They must.  Competitive advantage is everything.

Now, look at the plays.

The play design "looks" very much like a Shula play.  Tight bunch formations, multiple receivers in the same area of the field.

Ask yourself this:  What would our 2017 offense look like with a QB who lacked the ground / scramble skills of Cam?

I suspect the answer is:  Much like the 2018 NYG offense.

It's clearly not 100% Shula.  But to say there are not elements there is silly.

I don't know what Shula is being asked to do, or not asked to do.  No one outside that organization does.  But watch the film.  There are some very familiar things going on there.

6 hours ago, iamhubby1 said:

Stating he doesn’t call plays is not a statement against Shula. It’s a fact. That’s just the reality of the situation. He doesn’t have control of the outcome of his work. Good or bad.

People are trying to somehow place the blame for anything the Giants do on offense on Shula. Mainly for the purpose of bashing him. Yet you, and others continually keep on about some kind of Shula hate. When this whole point is meant to defend him to begin with.

16 minutes ago, BrianS said:

Everyone is arguing from authority . . . "I saw this article", "I saw a snippet", etc.  Never believe anything you read.  Not because the journalist is knowingly trying to mislead, but because the franchise is.  All NFL teams lie to the media.  They must.  Competitive advantage is everything.

Now, look at the plays.

The play design "looks" very much like a Shula play.  Tight bunch formations, multiple receivers in the same area of the field.

Ask yourself this:  What would our 2017 offense look like with a QB who lacked the ground / scramble skills of Cam?

I suspect the answer is:  Much like the 2018 NYG offense.

It's clearly not 100% Shula.  But to say there are not elements there is silly.

I don't know what Shula is being asked to do, or not asked to do.  No one outside that organization does.  But watch the film.  There are some very familiar things going on there.

Really? What plays are Shula specific? And if he hasn’t called one play, how is it his philosophy? 

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

The whole thing looks too much like a Shula offense to not be one.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier.

I understand what the Giants are saying . . . they may even believe it.  However, when you look at the way they line up, look at the way the plays are designed . . . it looks suspiciously like our offense last year.

Just now, BrianS said:

This is the point I was trying to make earlier.

I understand what the Giants are saying . . . they may even believe it.  However, when you look at the way they line up, look at the way the plays are designed . . . it looks suspiciously like our offense last year.

Which plays? 

We are running the same “offense” as last year. And have been Cams whole career. The difference is play calling. 

Handing a ball off to a RB from the shotgun looks exactly the same from E & P,  Coryell, or West Coast. 

Archived