• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Per a Football Outsiders analysis BoA is the least-safe grass field in an NFL stadium

KSpan

Lots of interesting things in the article as well, like analysis by coach. Found it interesting given the discussions and anecdotal observations about injuries.

Note that it's based on 2012-2016 injury data.

Tweet:

https://twitter.com/zbinney_NFLinj/status/1047822288270372864

And direct link:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/untangling-nfl-injury-web

Most players I ever knew would rather play in grass and it wasn't even close. I am pretty sure the studies that were done support this. On grass you will get stuck in the dirt with your cleats and tear your legs in various places. On turf the landing is much worse and you have more head injuries and the rug burn bullshit.

I don't know how to take that because of how terrible the Steelers field always is and people seemingly always getting tore up there but are they counting injuries at that stadium or how do they place the injury/blame the injury on....how is it a field related injury. Didn't get how they came up with the differentiation. 

5 hours ago, Carolina Rider said:

Didn't the team just replace the field surface this off-season? I'd take the data with a grain of salt as well; if studying in the natural sciences has taught me anything, it's to always question data and its sources.

It clearly states the data are 2012-2016 and to consider accordingly. With that said unless the turf type, construction, and/or maintenance regime were changed wholesale (we know they re-did irrigation and drainage) there wouldn't be much reason to think things would be different for this variable.

I had a friend in Physical Therapy who did a research paper on this, and he found an obvious correlation between Turf fields and ACL/Meniscus tears and injuries.  Its been a while, so I can't exactly remember why it causes them according to his research.  Had something to do with how the turf rebounds energy opposed to grass and earth absorbing it.

did anyone even read that mess? i know it is over the head of most becaue its not from espn...and cites actual facts ( in short..i real bit of research)

But really...noone actually read to see the OP is totally wrong? Dude made a title you all got a hard on about....but the data is totally opposite. Yall fools got trolled. 

37 minutes ago, coralreefer_1 said:

did anyone even read that mess? i know it is over the head of most becaue its not from espn...and cites actual facts ( in short..i real bit of research)

But really...noone actually read to see the OP is totally wrong? Dude made a title you all got a hard on about....but the data is totally opposite. Yall fools got trolled. 

Quoting for posterity.

Hope you’re color blind to explain this blunder.

16 hours ago, WUnderhill said:

Quoting for posterity.

Hope you’re color blind to explain this blunder.

i appreciate your mention; of me. So can you articulate WHY you mention me with a real argument? Or are you just another fool like 4corners disagreeing because its the redneck thing to do?

Archived