• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Still had no explanation on the picked up flag

KillaCamNewton

People can talk about the gift we got on 3rd and 1 on the last drive but the game should have been iced at the 2 minute mark with that illegal contact penalty. Very bizzare that there was no replay and I’m not sure how you can pick up a flag on illegal contact as it’s not like defensive holding which can be negated by the quarterback being out of the pocket or PI being negated by an uncatchable ball. If the receiver is hit after 5 yards it’s a penalty. No questions asked. For the ref to throw the flag then pick it up seemed like he didnt want to decide the game with a penalty. 

for context- the Giants had burned their timeouts and we would have had 1st and goal at the 10 with a little over 2 mins left. Would have allowed us to drain the clock to about the 35 second mark and kick a chipshot to go up 6. Giants would have gotten the ball with 30 seconds left and forced to score a TD drive with no timeouts.

Questionable to say the least.

How sad is it that I had so little faith in our D that I was hoping their TD where the ref missed Jackson touching the receiver down was going to end up standing? All I was thinking was give our offense some more clock to work with to try to answer. I had zero faith in the D to hold. I was just afraid they'd give up the score with too little time remaining for us to answer.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

How sad is it that I had so little faith in our D that I was hoping their TD where the ref missed Jackson touching the receiver down was going to end up standing? All I was thinking was give our offense some more clock to work with to try to answer. I had zero faith in the D to hold. I was just afraid they'd give up the score with too little time remaining for us to answer.

I'm not going to lie, I said the same thing. I wanted it to stand to give us a more to score rather than whatever the Giants were going to end up giving us. 

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I was thinking the same thing, really because of the D. But so Cam would have had more time.

12 minutes ago, FakePlasticTrees said:

The reason that flag was picked up was because the balll was tipped at the line of scrimmage. Once the ball is touched there is no illegal contact.

False. That only applies to pass interference. Illegal contact is called before the ball is thrown

17 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

False. That only applies to pass interference. Illegal contact is called before the ball is thrown

I think in the situation where the contact is of a player who is not the intended receiver, illegal contact can still be called. Pass interference is only called in the area the ball is thrown. However, if the ball is tipped there is no illegal contact after the tip. 

Archived