• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Redskins Benched Josh Norman In The Second Half

Saca312

Norman ain’t coming back until his contract is up or he’s cut.

Kalil’s cap hit jumps up to $12 mil next year and then $15 mil the following year. If you add Norman’s $15 mil hit for the next two years then you would have $30M tied up in two players while trying to replace or resign guys like Davis, Peppers, Kalil, Adams, Funchess, Horton, Love, Williams, Mayo, Byrd, Obada, etc. Next years free agency class will be the largest in quite some time for the Panthers with 27 players set to hit free agency.

Even if we were to use Kalil’s out at the end of the year his dead cap is still $9.8M. Coupling that split dead cap along with Norman’s $15M cap hit would have the Panthers using around 12% of their cap space to make one player go away while overpaying another. 

If he was traded then the Redskins would need to take Torrey Smith and Norman would have to agree to a pay cut, a restructure wouldn’t fix anything. If a trade like this did go down then it all but guarantees Kalil being cut as the Panthers couldn’t carry both players at their full cap hit.

Norman isn't going anywhere, period. His cap hit would jump to $20M this year if he was cut or traded. He's definitely getting cut sfter this season though and then he can sign anywhere. He'll also be 31 years old though and if Jackson county to ues to develop I don't think we'll rock that boat.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Norman isn't going anywhere, period. His cap hit would jump to $20M this year if he was cut or traded. He's definitely getting cut sfter this season though and then he can sign anywhere. He'll also be 31 years old though and if Jackson county to ues to develop I don't think we'll rock that boat.

You have to take a look at his dead cap. 

His 2018 salary isn’t fully guaranteed and won’t become fully guaranteed until March. If he’s cut before then, the dead cap is only $9M (which is probably what will happen).

I could see us signing him to a team friendly deal if that happens but we certainly can’t trade for him.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I wouldn't hate Josh as a nickel and he has all the skills to play that position. Bradberry, Jackson, and Norman would be versatile and solid. 

11 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

You have to take a look at his dead cap. 

His 2018 salary isn’t fully guaranteed and won’t become fully guaranteed until March. If he’s cut before then, the dead cap is only $9M (which is probably what will happen).

I could see us signing him to a team friendly deal if that happens but we certainly can’t trade for him.

I am looking at dead cap. That's exactly why he isn't going anywhere this season and exactly why he will be cut following this season.

I guess Norman could actually return next year if everything went a certain way.

1. Norman would need to be cut before March of 2018 (as soon as the season is over) so that the Redskins are not on the hook for his fully guaranteed contract. If cut before March 2018 then the Redskins would only incur a $9M dead cap for Norman.

2. Matt Kalil would need to be cut before the third league day of 2019 leaving the Panthers with only $9.8M in dead cap money. That’s still a lot of money in dead cap but less than what his actual cap would be to ride the bench.

3. Norman would need to sign a team friendly deal as the Panthers will be replacing a lot of players next year and can’t afford to give him the salary he may want (it would need to be in the $5M range).

2 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I guess Norman could actually return next year if everything went a certain way.

1. Norman would need to be cut before March of 2018 (as soon as the season is over) so that the Redskins are not on the hook for his fully guaranteed contract. If cut before March 2018 then the Redskins would only incur a $9M dead cap for Norman.

2. Matt Kalil would need to be cut before the third league day of 2019 leaving the Panthers with only $9.8M in dead cap money. That’s still a lot of money in dead cap but less than what his actual cap would be to ride the bench.

3. Norman would need to sign a team friendly deal as the Panthers will be replacing a lot of players next year and can’t afford to give him the salary he may want (it would need to be in the $5M range).

Kalil will cost 14.7M to cut after the season. But only 4.9M will count towards 2019. The rest(9.8M) hits in 2020. That money is gone and spent.   

Archived