• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ace Boogie Newton passes Dan Marino

Jeremy Igo

My two favorite athletes....Ever. Only two that made me “stray” from being “only” a Steelers fan. Fitting for this week. Which is miserable for me. 

I’ll never forget draft day 1983. I was in tears of joy when the Steelers were up and Marino was there. I was 13 and he was already my favorite player from his career at Pitt. It was too perfect. Bradshaw was done. Annmnnd.....Gabe Rivera! 

I took off my Jack Lambert jersey and walked out. It took years for me to care about Steelers again. And that was right after the dynasty. 

Dan Marino is my favorite quarterback ever and I still believe he was the best passer ever in an era where headhunting and killing quarterbacks was encouraged and romanced and receivers were brutalized.

so while it’s a different era, it’s still impressive for Cam to pass Dan in a credible stat.

Cam won't get the credit from most people but if you actually try to account for everything he has done in basically half a career, theres literally been no one quite like him.

Same could be said of Luke. They should really both be shoe in HoFers if we win a Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

The sad part is that the style of play that Rivera runs is basically that era's style of play.

That's a myth that we really need to get rid of.  We are throwing the ball more than we are passing it, at about 6 attempts per game.  And many of our runs come from our qb.  That would have been extremely unusual during Marino's time.  

Regarding yesterday's game, despite assertions to the contrary, we didn't go conservative on offense during the 3rd qtr (when TB was getting back in the game).   Our first two possessions were 4 passes, two of which were sacks, with one over throw, and one 14 yard pass that came up just short because of a previous sack.  IMO, the team played undisciplined football in the third qtr, with bad penalties, missed blocks, and some defensive breakdowns, which allowed Tampa to get back in the game.

1 hour ago, Carolina Cajun said:

The sad part is that the style of play that Rivera runs is basically that era's style of play.

Really? What’s Sean McVay running then? The 60s? 

Carolina run - pass.: 54% passing

Rams run pass: 52% passing

Seems like the new kid has an old plan as well.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Yesterday Newton's 280 combined yards give him 31,629 in his career. He has passed Dan Marino for the third‐most combined yards in a quarterback’s first eight seasons.

When you are passing up guys like Dan Marino, you may be a good QB.

I mean Marino may have had 100 rushing yards over his career. Not really a stat worth comparing. Once Newton surpasses Marino's actual passing yardage, let me know.

27 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

That's a myth that we really need to get rid of.  We are throwing the ball more than we are passing it, at about 6 attempts per game.  And many of our runs come from our qb.  That would have been extremely unusual during Marino's time.  

Regarding yesterday's game, despite assertions to the contrary, we didn't go conservative on offense during the 3rd qtr (when TB was getting back in the game).   Our first two possessions were 4 passes, two of which were sacks, with one over throw, and one 14 yard pass that came up just short because of a previous sack.  IMO, the team played undisciplined football in the third qtr, with bad penalties, missed blocks, and some defensive breakdowns, which allowed Tampa to get back in the game.

Yes, but with how we slow the game down, milk the play clock, and run a coryell style, it's nothing revolutionary.  That is a 90's style game, and because of that, cam will never have the 4500 yard 30 TD seasons because he gets a lot fewer play calls than people like Brees (Sean Payton), Brady (Bill Belichick), or Goff (Sean McVay).  This leads to lower passing and total yard totals than some new guys, but it is still at a pace of a 80s or 90s team.

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean Marino may have had 100 rushing yards over his career. Not really a stat worth comparing. Once Newton surpasses Marino's actual passing yardage, let me know.

Why does it matter how Cam got the yards? He's gotten his team more yards than Marino in first 8 seasons... That's all that matters, not how he got them.

3 minutes ago, t96 said:

Why does it matter how Cam got the yards? He's gotten his team more yards than Marino in first 8 seasons... That's all that matters, not how he got them.

I really hate that point of view. “That touchdown doesn’t count. He didn’t throw it.” “That first down run on 3rd and 7 with the game on the line doesn’t count. He didn’t throw it.” 

30 minutes ago, Toomers said:

Really? What’s Sean McVay running then? The 60s? 

Carolina run - pass.: 54% passing

Rams run pass: 52% passing

Seems like the new kid has an old plan as well.

Yes and no, the pace of their offense is modern NFL level.  They are actively trying to get as many offensive plays in as possible, and that is a modern NFL style.  Us milking the playclock down results in us having less offensive plays total to be able to accrue the massive numbers which is an 80s/90s strategy.  Make no mistake, high tempo also results in more yards which is why it's happening in the modern NFL.

Archived