• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hypothetical next HC for the Panthers...

Hotsauce

I enjoy talking and thinking about the future while still appreciating the present.  So, I generally enjoy threads like this and even draft related discussions (at least when there is real discussion and it's not just another excuse to bicker).  Doesn't diminish my excitement for the current season...I just see them as two separate things. 

With that said, Ron's future here is tied to Hurney's.  If Tepper brings in a new GM, I really don't see him tying his hands by requiring him to keep Ron.  And even though I think Rivera is a much better coach than some here want to say, a new GM will almost certainly want to bring in a new coach that he hand picks to run the team as he envisions it.  Even though Ron's been good here and led us on a solid playoff run, including a SB appearance, he's been here for a while, and it might be good for the team to have an infusion of a new voice with new ideas.

Don't know who might be serious options, but here are some things I would expect to have an effect.

1. I think Tepper will want a young innovative coach.  He doesn't strike me as the "play it safe" type of owner, so he will likely want someone that is willing to think outside the box and take advantage of all our playmakers and offensive speed.  

2. So, whomever he taps as the new GM (going by the hypothetical that Marty is gone) will likely try to build the team with that in mind.  

3. I'd assume there is a very good chance a new GM would come from the Steelers since he will be most familiar with those guys (unless that familiarity makes him run the other way).  

4. If we do tap a GM from Pittsburgh, then I think it's probable we see some pretty significant changes to the team.  One such change could be a switch to a 3-4 base defense.  Obviously, Pittsburgh has a strong philosophical foundation in the 3-4, so it stands to reason a GM from there will probably want to bring in a coach that embraces that philosophy.

5. I also believe Tepper will actually be open to an offensive minded coach, unlike JR.  

The thing is that this hypothetical is contingent on what happens in the playoffs (I feel we will almost certainly make the playoffs; however, if we don't, change is a virtual certainty).  If we're one and done, there is good chance we could see a change.  If we get embarrassed, I think we would definitely see a change.  But if we make the NFCG or SB, then there is a much stronger likelihood both Marty and Ron stay and finish up their contracts.  

I tell ya what boys, and girls, if Norv, and Cam continue to find their groove. It very well could be a long time before we get our next HC. If this Offense continues to grow, while Defenses continue to struggle. Norv may be the most important coach on the team. 

Rivera has a reputation for good Defenses. If he can get that back. Teamed with Norv. This can be a really good team. 

I would hazard a guess, that Rivera and Cam are pretty much tied at the hip. As long as Norv can keep the O humming. These guys could be together for quite a while.

11 minutes ago, iamhubby1 said:

I tell ya what boys, and girls, if Norv, and Cam continue to find their groove. It very well could be a long time before we get our next HC. If this Offense continues to grow, while Defenses continue to struggle. Norv may be the most important coach on the team. 

Rivera has a reputation for good Defenses. If he can get that back. Teamed with Norv. This can be a really good team. 

I would hazard a guess, that Rivera and Cam are pretty much tied at the hip. As long as Norv can keep the O humming. These guys could be together for quite a while.

I agree as much as those that hate Rivera our offense is getting better week by week.  I don't see a HC being removed and the OC retained.   I think part of why Turner came here was to work with Ron again.

Rivera needs to fix the DL.  About the only core player I see from the DL is Short.  But, like you said, Rivera is a go defensive mind and will fix this.

1 minute ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I agree as much as those that hate Rivera our offense is getting better week by week.  I don't see a HC being removed and the OC retained.   I think part of why Turner came here was to work with Ron again.

Rivera needs to fix the DL.  About the only core player I see from the DL is Short.  But, like you said, Rivera is a go defensive mind and will fix this.

I ain't gonna lie. This Defense does worry me. I don't know what to think. My eyes tell me there is talent on the field, and they should be playing better as a unit. 

Now does that come from not really having a consistent pass rush? Or is it scheme oriented? Just maybe my eyes are wrong, and the talent isn't as good as I believe. Whatever it is. There are issues.

IMO, we are a pretty good team. If Rivera, and Washington can get that D back to what it usually is. We can compete with anyone.

I know Defenses are behind the eight ball nowadays. So I don't expect our D to be old school good. But they do need to be able to put some stops in there occasionally. And with our Offense improving, that may be good enough to get us where we want to go.

If they were to get a new head coach don't get a West Coast Offense guy.  Forget about Cam the only reciever we have with any experience in the West Coast Offense is Torey Smith, and 90% of this board wants him off the team today.  The offense would take a major step back because the routes are all different and the way you run them is different and the best, most explosive guys we have on the team at reciever now don't even know how to run all the routes we run now.  So it would be bad and everyone would panic again and want to fire the guy after 1 year anyway.

He would have to be from a numbers system and not a West coast system but he could run a 3-4 or a 4-3 because we have so many guys in the front 7 that will change after this year.  If he was going for a more middle closed defense with lots of man on the outside he would need to change Bradberry out because if he had to play man all the time he would not be worth the money you would have to pay him to keep him.  He would not suck but he would not be that good either.  Addison could play one of the OLB spots and I guess Haynes is the only other guy you have on the team for that now so you would have to get so guys from somewhere.

You could do it and still be somewhat effective, everyone seems to want to because we had 1 bad game.  The Patriots lost by 3 touchdowns last week to.  May New England should change their head coach out to, whoever he is.....

Archived