• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

our biggest problems this season

juliosantos

Looking back at a lot of these losses, the biggest problem for us this season was explosive plays: giving up too many of them on defense and not generating enough of them on offense. Here is where both units rank in explosive play percentage:

Offense: 
Explosive Run Plays: 49
Explosive Run Play %: 17%
Explosive Run Rank: 1st

Explosive Pass Plays: 28
Explosive Pass Play %: 8%
Explosive Pass Play Rank: 25th

Defense:
Explosive Run Plays: 54
Explosive Run Play %: 15%
Explosive Run Rank: 27th

Explosive Pass Plays: 51
Explosive Pass Play %: 9%
Explosive Pass Play Rank: 20th

This pretty much sums up the season. On offense we got top level production out of Christian McCaffrey but lacked a vertical pass game to complement his production. I think this had a lot to do with 1. Cam Newton's shoulder soreness and 2. injuries on the offensive line. While Cam's shoulder is a concern, I would like to upgrade the front 5, if the opportunity comes.

To solve this problem headed into the offseason, I would like to see one of 2 things happen: 1. Resign Daryl to a reasonable contract to get him and Moton at the tackles or 2. Take a left tackle early in the draft to pair with Taylor Moton. Larsen and Van Roten are servicable but it may make sense to look for upgrades on the interior as well.

Way too early possible offensive draft targets: Jonah Williams OT Alabama, Greg Little OT Ole Miss, Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin.

On defense it just came down to a lack of production from the front 4 and an aging secondary that lacks athleticism. These are also areas that will have to be addressed. I can live with Donte and JB at the corner positions and Reid at one of the safeties. I still think Addison and KK can play at a high level as well for a couple more years. Cox Jr. and Obada can be good depth/rotational pieces.

Way to early possible defensive draft targets: Greedy Williams CB, LSU, Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson, Deionte Thompson S, Alabama, Josh Allen OLB/DE Kentucky, Zach Allen DE Boston College.

Your basically talking about Toxic Differential.

What is Toxic Differential?

A statistic used in football that combines turnover differential and big play differential to give insight into how teams balance risk and reward in generating and avoiding giving up big plays (plays over 25+ yards) and winning the turnover battle. This term was coined by former NFL head coach Brian Billick.

Toxic Differential = (Big Plays For - Big Plays Against) + (Takeaways - Giveaways)

https://www.sportingcharts.com/dictionary/nfl/toxic-differential.aspx

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

It's fuging raining missed opportunities

Really.  I could remove 4 plays from every game we played and we would be 15-1.

Our opponents could do the same thing and we would be 1-15.

That is like a boxer saying, "If it weren't for that one punch, I would have done better."

4 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Really.  I could remove 4 plays from every game we played and we would be 15-1.

Our opponents could do the same thing and we would be 1-15.

That is like a boxer saying, "If it weren't for that one punch, I would have done better."

Exactly my take on it.

football isn’t a science - there’s so much chance involved. Everyone can play lights out and still lose, or play sloppy and win.

1 hour ago, juliosantos said:

Looking back at a lot of these losses, the biggest problem for us this season was explosive plays: giving up too many of them on defense and not generating enough of them on offense. Here is where both units rank in explosive play percentage:

Offense: 
Explosive Run Plays: 49
Explosive Run Play %: 17%
Explosive Run Rank: 1st

Explosive Pass Plays: 28
Explosive Pass Play %: 8%
Explosive Pass Play Rank: 25th

Defense:
Explosive Run Plays: 54
Explosive Run Play %: 15%
Explosive Run Rank: 27th

Explosive Pass Plays: 51
Explosive Pass Play %: 9%
Explosive Pass Play Rank: 20th

This pretty much sums up the season. On offense we got top level production out of Christian McCaffrey but lacked a vertical pass game to complement his production. I think this had a lot to do with 1. Cam Newton's shoulder soreness and 2. injuries on the offensive line. While Cam's shoulder is a concern, I would like to upgrade the front 5, if the opportunity comes.

To solve this problem headed into the offseason, I would like to see one of 2 things happen: 1. Resign Daryl to a reasonable contract to get him and Moton at the tackles or 2. Take a left tackle early in the draft to pair with Taylor Moton. Larsen and Van Roten are servicable but it may make sense to look for upgrades on the interior as well.

Way too early possible offensive draft targets: Jonah Williams OT Alabama, Greg Little OT Ole Miss, Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin.

On defense it just came down to a lack of production from the front 4 and an aging secondary that lacks athleticism. These are also areas that will have to be addressed. I can live with Donte and JB at the corner positions and Reid at one of the safeties. I still think Addison and KK can play at a high level as well for a couple more years. Cox Jr. and Obada can be good depth/rotational pieces.

Way to early possible defensive draft targets: Greedy Williams CB, LSU, Clelin Ferrell DE Clemson, Deionte Thompson S, Alabama, Josh Allen OLB/DE Kentucky, Zach Allen DE Boston College.

I believe our entire defense came down to a lack of production & athleticism, not just certain sections. Peppers is old, Adams is slowing down, Poe's been a disappointment, Addison is inconsistent & needs help, KK & Shaq disappeared & Luke can't handle it all on his own. But I do agree with you on Bradberry, Donte & Reid. Reid was rusty in his first few, but progressed big time towards the MNF game.

I'd sign Reid & TD back, but release Poe, Adams & maybe Peppers. Julius might get his 11 sacks back if he'll play as ONLY as pass rusher. Not a full-time DE.

1 hour ago, Asurfaholic said:

Exactly my take on it.

football isn’t a science - there’s so much chance involved. Everyone can play lights out and still lose, or play sloppy and win.

Agree with this. It’s also getting to the point to where if you are gonna lose, you better lose by a lot because if it’s close one team is going to get jammed by poor officiating. Refs and their calls influence the outcomes of games. Saw it last week in NO vs the Saints. Seen it a couple times this year with the panthers. 

55 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

When rivera is fired Monday you better make me a post with my crow 

You got to put your money where your mouth is - what are you gonna do if you are proven incorrect? 

There needs to be a thing on here with the folks and their sources - accountability thing. Permabans, post a picture of their face, something. Would clean up a lot of the BS. 

Archived