• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Season ticket renewal letter

Squirrel

Looks like this has been in the works for a while, article from last summer:

https://sports.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/nfl-stadiums-ticketmaster-fully-digital-ticket-systems-2018-season/

In the article they do mention a "paper option"....

The digital product/system is going to be provided by -- surprise surprise -- TicketMaster.  The TM rep suggests the main driver for the product is to eliminate fraud but I believe that to be a red herring....

....by my estimation this is a two-fold effort to (i) mine data, and (ii) make it harder (if not impossible) to re-sell a ticket w/o the team & TM knowing about it, and possibly participating in the revenue stream if the ticket is sold for above face value.

Possibly I am wrong but that's my initial take on the situation.  TM has a long track record for screwing the fan, I'm suspicious of anything they are involved in.

1 minute ago, GeorgeHanson said:

Looks like this has been in the works for a while, article from last summer:  https://sports.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/nfl-stadiums-ticketmaster-fully-digital-ticket-systems-2018-season/

The digital product/system is going to be provided by -- surprise surprise -- TicketMaster.  The TM rep suggests the main driver for the product is to eliminate fraud but I believe that to be a red herring....

....this is a two-fold effort to (i) mine data, and make it harder to re-sell a ticket w/o the team & TM knowing about it, and possibly participating in the revenue stream if the ticket is sold for above face value.

Possibly I am wrong but that's my initial take on the situation.  TM has a long track record for screwing the fan, I'm suspicious of anything they are involved in.

You're not wrong on your last two points, but ticket fraud is definitely not a red herring. There are a lot of people who get scammed because they don't know what to look for. I've received tickets from a scalper that looked legit as hell, but weren't. It's actually happened a couple of times over the year. Sometimes, I've been able to get in, others not. If you're a family of four who never really get to go to games, don't know what to look for, and drop several hundred bucks to make little Tommy and the rest of the family happy, it can be the most disheartening thing to get scammed. I would tend to think that this happens every Sunday multiple times.

I think digital tickets are a great idea. Albeit, now that I have PSLs, I'll probably go with the paper option because I keep a ticket from every game I attend.

9 minutes ago, GeorgeHanson said:

Looks like this has been in the works for a while, article from last summer:

https://sports.cbslocal.com/2018/06/18/nfl-stadiums-ticketmaster-fully-digital-ticket-systems-2018-season/

....by my estimation this is a two-fold effort to (i) mine data, and make it harder (if not impossible) to re-sell a ticket w/o the team & TM knowing about it, and possibly participating in the revenue stream if the ticket is sold for above face value.

Correct.  TM wants to cut out private scalping so they can do it themselves. 

Ticketmaster Verified is nothing more than a TM sponsored scalping site.  

6 hours ago, Arroz con Panther said:

You're not wrong on your last two points, but ticket fraud is definitely not a red herring. There are a lot of people who get scammed because they don't know what to look for. I've received tickets from a scalper that looked legit as hell, but weren't. It's actually happened a couple of times over the year. Sometimes, I've been able to get in, others not. If you're a family of four who never really get to go to games, don't know what to look for, and drop several hundred bucks to make little Tommy and the rest of the family happy, it can be the most disheartening thing to get scammed. I would tend to think that this happens every Sunday multiple times.

I think digital tickets are a great idea. Albeit, now that I have PSLs, I'll probably go with the paper option because I keep a ticket from every game I attend.

Oh I completely agree that fraud exists, bigtime.  I've seen certain instances where the venue confiscated fakes equal to almost 10% of the house at certain major concerts that were held in smaller theater types venues (2000 to 3000 seats).

That said, this has been the case for decades and TM never did anything to help the situation (nor did the police).

TM isn't putting this new system in to help with fraud, they are putting it in because it's a big money maker for them.....fewer fakes is simply a byproduct.

Anything of value printed on paper, including checks, is pretty much extinct because of scammers.  Digital tickets seems like a logical change to eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of people scammed by fake tickets.    

2 hours ago, GeorgeHanson said:

...by my estimation this is a two-fold effort to (i) mine data, and (ii) make it harder (if not impossible) to re-sell a ticket w/o the team & TM knowing about it, and possibly participating in the revenue stream if the ticket is sold for above face value.

This I had not thought about... BUT what now pops in my head is how are people going to sell tickets outside the stadium??   PSL owners and the Scalpers are going to have to do a transfer via the App outside the stadium I guess.  I think this will hurt the walk up to the stadium on gameday crowd.  I know for me, we have 2 psl's and lots of times will scalp for two extra's outside for other family members and friends.  Not sure I will do that anymore, if cant deal with an actual ticket that way.   Plus like you said, now if I want to do that have to go through TicketExchange or other and with that comes all the fees, etc.   

Honestly don't think this has much to do with ticket scammers.  You'll still be able to print from your Panthers PSL account as i understand it (edit: maybe not, just sent an email asking).  More to do with cutting the cost of printing and shipping the booklets IMO.

I will miss the paper ticket, like to to keep them, have every one from every game I've attended since getting my PSL's in 1998.  I am a curmudgeon that hates change (half joking) but i'll give them a shot. 

If it makes it better then great, i'll just keep the program (until they go to digital).  I am a bit skeptical, they are going to have to change/improve the stadium entry process.  I can see this scenario repeated over and over and over: drunk couple in front holding up the line because they can't get the ticket to pull up on their phone and i miss the first quarter...

Archived