• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Riot Report: The Case For Matt Kalil - Why Bringing Him Back Is A Good Idea

Saca312

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

So the argument is pretty much, better the overpriced turd you know than the turd you don't.

Sorry. The guy is the OT counterpart to Everette Brown. Nothing but spin moves.

Fight the status quo.

The fact that we were able to get similar to better performances from a couch free agent Chris Clark last season should be enough to dump Kalil.

that was a whole lot of writing that didn't prove the point. The answer is no. The only thing I learned is Williams needed a lot of help. So maybe they both need to go and we roll with moton and invest in this offensive line.

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

that was a whole lot of writing that didn't prove the point. The answer is no. The only thing I learned is Williams needed a lot of help. So maybe they both need to go and we roll with moton and invest in this offensive line.

Agreed. The only sell in  point was, we are stuck with a cap hit one way or the other so we might as well keep him and since Williams wasn't as good as the all-pro honor suggests because  he had help, we can let a questionable commodity go and keep the bad known one and give him help. 

Jordan Gross always said the job of a tackle is to lose slowly. 

Kalil has always lost quickly since his sophomore year. We have to keep him because it is too expensive not to, but if he is starting week 1 something went terribly wrong and a healthy Cam won't happen. 

For a tackle, run blocking is wrestling. Pass blocking is judo.

When you're run blocking, you're trying to shove a guy out of the way. In pass blocking, more often than not you're just trying to redirect him, often using his own momentum against him.

I think a much better & more honest title for the article would be:

"The case for Matt Kalil and why bringing him back is the least horrible  option.

Would still disagree, but makes more sense.

I can tell you as a Falcons fan, I hope they do bring Kalil back, which should tell you something. As a football fan who wants Cam to have a long career, I hope they cut him.

As I said, would still disagree, because I think that Kalil can't stay healthy and don't see any reason to expect him to play 16 games next year. The author makes the assumption that Kalil will be healthy, for no reason that I can see, except to be able to write a contrarian article.

Closing line:

"This debate shouldn’t be about whether Kalil is worth his salary, but rather whether he is worth the $7.25m they will save by cutting him – and who the starting tackles will be next year will be if he’s gone."

Naah, Kalil has been so bad and so injured since his rookie year that the only reason you would keep him is because you don't want 14 mil of dead money on your cap over the next two years. You can't possibly expect him to be part of an effective OLine for 16 games.

You're better off drafting the best OT at 16, putting him  at LT and protecting him with lots of quick passes, an extra lineman, and TD/RB help than relying on Kalil. 

I do agree with the premise that the question should be whether or not Kalil's is worth $7.25M to us.

It's just that my answer is "Hell fuging no!" He's subpar when available and rarely available. That's not worth $7.25M. If I thought he'd be healthy for the entire season then I'd probably bring him back. Sadly, subpar starting LT play is worth $7.25M. $7.25M would rank 20th among LTs.

On 2/28/2019 at 5:53 PM, Untouchable said:

I think that's the point being highlighted in the article. It was schemed that way to help Williams hide on the play. Then he doesn't do well with his technique on the play anyway.

They also left Kalil on an island on that play as they did all too frequently. You have to ask yourself why would a team with Matt Kalil as thier tackle be leaving him alone on an island? .... Like ever.... 

There are some here on the Huddle who would be willing to chip in and buy an island for Kalil and leave him on it... forever

Everyone worried about the dead space by cutting him. Well how about keeping a dead player? Because that's exactly what he is. Why keep a player around who does absolutely nothing, not even good for depth, while having to sacrifice someone else who has busted his ass to make the team?

He's a waste of money and a waste of a roster spot. Those are two distinct things.

If we cut him, then he's just a waste of money. If we keep him, he's both. He's not someone we need to keep nor is he someone that we should ever let see the field again. 

Don't buy into the "better the devil you know" talk, because the devil we know is a massive liability. We don't have a chance.

At least if we tried to replace him we'd have a chance at getting better.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

I’m a bit ashamed that you are falling for the too expensive to not keep him. Look at @LinvilleGorge‘s post above. I just don’t know why it is too hard to understand that we have $15m in dead cap for him whether he is here this year or not. Let’s put that away because it doesn’t matter. We used bonuses to lower his first two year’s cap numbers by $15m. That is lost money and there is no way to avoid it. The whole point of using a post June 1st cut is to make that cost easier to swallow over two years.

There is however a decision on his 2019 salary of $7m+. I can’t see how you can say what you did and honestly say that it’s too expensive to not keep him. No, that’s wrong. There’s $7m+ reasons to say he’s way too expensive to keep.

Not going to lie. I felt ashamed as well. I got into it big-time with CAtcrapreader head guy and others, and couldn’t believe he actually ran a website with his perceived knowledge. Now Jeremy joins in? Say it ain’t so. 

Archived