• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Garrett Bradbury should be our 1st round pick

Khyber53

7 minutes ago, stbugs said:

And Price sucked and Ragnow was a guard. Bradbury hype is strong now. I’m one combine day he went from a 2nd round pick to what everyone assumes is a perennial pro-bowler. Before yesterday he was clumped together with two guys who haven’t gotten hyped trained. I like him but no question we’d be better off with McCoy/Jenkins and Sweat than Bradbury and a second round DE. 

Exactly. And to expand on the 4th best DE or 1st C theory. You judge the players. Not where they are “ranked”  by position. DE/DL is loaded. The whole top 10 is almost all DE/DL. 

I’d take Jeffrey Simmons before I would take a C at 16. He’s a better player(even with injury) and the positional value is almost double that of a C. 

While every team would LOVE an All Pro/HOF Center, most teams can get by an average center.  I think we're seeing the typical "pre-draft" hype machine going hard.  Is there value to having a great Center?  Sure, but there are other positions that are more highly valued in today's NFL.  Guys who rush the passer and those who protect.  Specifically DEs and OTs.  Now we're seeing the interior guys become more and more important with guys like Aaron Donald pushing the pocket into the QB.

Is Bradbury just the best center this year?  Or the best prospect since Ryan?  That's over my head and knowledge base.  If he is the best in a decade, then I think you take him.  If he's just a really good C, then you wait.  But that's just me, an internet idiot =)

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

While every team would LOVE an All Pro/HOF Center, most teams can get by an average center.  I think we're seeing the typical "pre-draft" hype machine going hard.  Is there value to having a great Center?  Sure, but there are other positions that are more highly valued in today's NFL.  Guys who rush the passer and those who protect.  Specifically DEs and OTs.  Now we're seeing the interior guys become more and more important with guys like Aaron Donald pushing the pocket into the QB.

Is Bradbury just the best center this year?  Or the best prospect since Ryan?  That's over my head and knowledge base.  If he is the best in a decade, then I think you take him.  If he's just a really good C, then you wait.  But that's just me, an internet idiot =)

Very well said. I’ll jump in that idiot boat with ya. He would have to be a “special” type C prospect. And you don’t become that 2 months after your last game. 

I'm not a huge fan of taking low value positions in the first round.  Lets say he becomes a top 10 center, which is there is no guarantee of that, how much would that kind of production cost in free agency.

For reference the 10th highest paid center last year was in the $8m dollar range.  You just aren't getting the value out of that pick that some other positions would.  

Think about it this way, you could be right about a DE(or other high value position) 50% of the time and you provide close to the same value to your team than being right 100% of the time with low value positions.

Our 16th pick will average around $3.4m over the course of the 4 year contract.  Lets say we draft a center this year and RB next.  Assume yearly cap cost is equal to production, for free agents it kind of is in theory.  You pick 2 top 10 players.  Top 10 players for those positions cost around 8.5m and 6.5m for a total of 15m.  So for $6.8m (the cost of two 1st round contracts) you just got $15m worth of production.

Now, lets look at drafting 2 DEs in those years.  Lets say one is a bust and the other one is a top 10 talent.  A top 10 edge rusher will cost about $15m as a free agent.  So far that same $6.8m(the cost of two 1st round contracts) you received $15m worth of production and you only had to be right 1/2 times.

Every team gets the same cap, the only way to get more talent than other teams is to get value with your cap dollars.  With free agents you pay for what you good, because they are on the open market.  With rookies you have the potential to get more than your value.

In the first round if players were close I would always gravitate towards the higher value positions.  I would lean heavily towards QBs, Edge rushers, OTs, WRs and CBs in the first round.  With the money I save on those positions I can fill the other one cheaply in free agency.  I would much prefer to have to sign a center in free agency then a defensive end.

Once you get out of the first round the chance of actually finding a quality starter diminishes greatly so at that point you better just worry about being right.

16 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Has a center ever gone top 10?

Highest I can find since the 1980’s is Steve Everitt from Michigan picked at #14 by Cleveland in 1993.

The Pouncey brothers, both centers, both went mid-1st round in the last 10 years.

I love bradbury until he moved up so high on draft boards. We just cannot pass on one of these ready to go DE in the first after last year. He will make the whole DL more dangerous and in turn take pressure off the secondary! We need pressures!  

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Agreed. I don’t think people screaming for all OL realize how bare we are on the outside of the DL at DE or 3-4 OLB and still need a FS and nickel. I want some OL but a C at 16 really puts a wrench in our draft.

Need at least one De/OLB, probably two one being a rotation guy. need a 3/4 end that can also play dt in 4-3 fronts on rotation. NT gonna be Poe, Dt/De will be short, DE/olb Addison. ILB will be shaq and Luke. who's the other de/Dt and who's the other Olb/De???? 

Archived