• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Shots Fired - #gettlemagic

SetfreexX

19 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Zero disagreements with any of this. You can make tough business development without being a complete asshole about it. All indications are that Gettleman lacks tact when making those difficult decisions and it seems like his ego forces him to feel as if he "won" the situation. No one wins when you have to move on from a franchise cornerstone. It's something every team deals with and it's something that many all-time great players have had to deal with, but there's a right way and a wrong way in how those situations are handled and Gettleman consistently did it in the wrong way. The thing about being an asshole in the work environment is that you can get away with it as long as it looks like you're doing a great job, but as soon as it doesn't... your ass is gonna be gone because absolutely no one is going to stand up for you, they're probably going to be standing by to throw gas on your funeral pyre and light the match.

There's a guy in New England who disagrees with you.

The reality is that most franchises treat football as a business, and the vast majority of players understand that. Players here, however, knew that the owner and his "family" way of running things put their happiness above winning (which is a big reason why we did so little of it).

Once we got a GM who actually ran the business like a business, they started howling. And Richardson, no shock, was a stupid asshat and fired a successful GM basically for doing his job like it's done by successful franchises around the league.

And now, we're back to having a GM - and a head coach, to boot - who want everyone to have happy happy fun and end their careers "on their own terms".

that's great if you're a player. If you're a fan who likes seeing you team win, not so much.

11 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

I think we can all agree that Dave was not the best at handling people. But let's not act like he didn't do a heck of a job filling spots on the roster with minimal money (Oher, Mitchell, Coleman, Tillman, Tolbert ect.). He also nailed some draft picks (Star, Short, Bradberry, Williams, Moton) but missed on quite a few the last few years. People act like he was some egotistic maniac for cutting their favorite player, but it was just business for Dave. The whole Norman fiasco was Norman's agent/cousin's fault and Dave was right to not give him a huge contract. Smith was cut to allow Cam to take a leadership role on the team, Beason was over the hill, and Gross even stated that he wanted to retire. 

He wasn't a perfect GM by any stretch, but he was a much better talent evaluator and money manager than Hurney. I'd pick a GM with those traits over a guy with good people skills every time. 

With you on all that. He also drafted Turner and signed Norwell as an udfa. Those were huge. Could argue that several others were very good picks like Boston and Klein each in the 4th. He also signed Ginn twice which was pretty huge and brought peppers back for an 11 sack season. He did all this while digging out of Hurney cap Hell - which I think gets overlooked. I’m big Norman fan but idk that DG really muffed that too bad - I don’t recall Norman being especially effective as of late. I think the Matt Kalil signing was his worst but he ha already hit on Oher at the LT spot and Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Richardson had a role in that signing.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

There's a guy in New England who disagrees with you.

The reality is that most franchises treat football as a business, and the vast majority of players understand that. Players here, however, knew that the owner and his "family" way of running things put their happiness above winning (which is a big reason why we did so little of it).

Once we got a GM who actually ran the business like a business, they started howling. And Richardson, no shock, was a stupid asshat and fired a successful GM basically for doing his job like it's done by successful franchises around the league.

And now, we're back to having a GM - and a head coach, to boot - who want everyone to have happy happy fun and end their careers "on their own terms".

that's great if you're a player. If you're a fan who likes seeing you team win, not so much.

Except Belichick actually has sustained greatness. If he hadn't, he would've been gone long ago.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Except Belichick actually has sustained greatness. If he hadn't, he would've been gone long ago.

Gettleman was still successful here when he was fired. He remains, in fact, the most successful GM in Panthers history.

And frankly, the more I see of Ron Rivera's coaching, the better Gettleman's performance as a GM starts to look.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Gettleman was still successful here when he was fired. He remains, in fact, the most successful GM in Panthers history.

And frankly, the more I see of Ron Rivera's coaching, the better Gettleman's performance as a GM starts to look.

It's a mighty low bar to clear being the greatest GM in history for a ringless franchise with zero consecutive winning seasons. Gettleman did a lot of good and he did a lot of bad. He started out looking brilliant but the shine faded quickly. His ego was the biggest thing is that got in his way IMO. 

6 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

With you on all that. He also drafted Turner and signed Norwell as an udfa. Those were huge. Could argue that several others were very good picks like Boston and Klein each in the 4th. He also signed Ginn twice which was pretty huge and brought peppers back for an 11 sack season. He did all this while digging out of Hurney cap Hell - which I think gets overlooked. I’m big Norman fan but idk that DG really muffed that too bad - I don’t recall Norman being especially effective as of late. I think the Matt Kalil signing was his worst but he ha already hit on Oher at the LT spot and Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if Richardson had a role in that signing.

He also extended R. Kalil, Davis, Cam, Olsen, and TD all while navigating the cap. 

Contrary to popular belief, he didn't let all the star players go. Just the divas. 

Side-note, That video is pretty old. I think close to 2 years old. 

Ive met Smitty as well and talk with him a couple secs. He is definitely a different cat. He does act like everybody has it out for him. Very defensive. But when you grow up the way he did and always being small and all ways having to defend yourself, that becomes your mentality in life. So I get him and understand his position. I said a couple words to him and that's it.

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

He also extended R. Kalil, Davis, Cam, Olsen, and TD all while navigating the cap. 

Contrary to popular belief, he didn't let all the star players go. Just the divas. 

Side-note, That video is pretty old. I think close to 2 years old. 

He also drafted Shaq and Butler to be backups in the 1st round while ignoring huge needs. He spent 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks on Butler, Ealy, and Hall spending significant draft capital on the DL with very little in return, hence our current DL situation. He drafted KB and Funchess in the 1st and 2nd creating the failed twin towers experiment and neither will sign a second contract with the Panthers. While I agreed with the decisions at the time, in hindsight it looks like he chose poorly between Turner/Norwell and Star/Short on the resignings. 

He did a lot of good, he did a lot of bad. I didn't agree with firing him at the time, but in hindsight it was justified. Bringing back Hurney was I'll advised and honestly, retaining him beyond last year is just plain reckless. We've already see that movie before.

Me and like 4 other posters said this would be his downfall. Idk why it’s such a shock that the players are echoing what was said years ago. Regardless he was an average to below average gm, time will tell if he learned anything from his term here, you don’t get paid millions just to make roster moves and evaluate talent, in a business where turnover rates are high you have to be a people person, posters act like they would want to work for someone like this in real life is laughable 

2 minutes ago, Krovvy said:

It only took 5 years to find Smith's replacement, maybe.

That's generally the way it goes with great players. We're still looking for a replacement for Jordan Gross. The one position where we've had a near constant run of great players is MLB. For a franchise as young as ours, we've had an embarrassment of riches at that position.

Archived