• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers pick up option on Torrey Smith

ncfan

3 minutes ago, OldNorthPowell said:

It is 17 million. With additional moves it could be more. Picking from the draft and cuts is going to net us missing the playoffs AGAIN. You have to give it your all in every aspect to build a winner. This was a boneheaded move at best.

Top 51 is 15m, total cap is 11m counting all previous moves and Smith's contract. 

here

Just now, carpanfan96 said:

come on, how long have yall been following this team and it's free agency pick ups??? Hurney is a drafter and cut picker to build teams, doesn't use free agency to make major moves and that wasn't gonna happen this time with only 15m in space. 

I've learned not to expect much from Marty Hurney, but here we go wasting 5 million in an area of minimal need, while there are gaping holes on both lines and in the backfield.

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I've learned not to expect much from Marty Hurney, but here we go wasting 5 million in an area of minimal need, while there are gaping holes on both lines and in the backfield.

I agree this team has gaping holes and has for a while, even the superbowl team in 2015 had major holes covered up by some outstanding play by a handful of players. 

if the 4-3/3-4 multi front look defensive move is accurate the team had even more holes to fill. I expect it to take a few drafts just to fill the holes on defense alone. 

4× De/OLB hybrids (3 if you believe addison can do both)

2-3× Dt/De hybrids (Short can do this, who else???) 

NT after Poe leaves

FS

Nickel

That's a bunch of damn holes to fill in one free agency and draft. I expect a lot of udfa to fill some of those. 

offense looks pretty good minus online. LT and center for sure, maybe even lg on that list. 

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

I have no issue with this. why is everyone so upset? 

We definitely need a vet WR and someone who we feel confident that they can perform if DJ Moore and Samuel happen to miss multiple weeks. I feel like the 5 million is too high, but time will tell after free agency and seeing how he performs next year. 

2 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I have no issue with this. why is everyone so upset? 

Because they believe that you can sign any receiver to equal the value that Smith has to the franchise. They're obviously basing everything off of last season, and feel that 5 mil is too much.

1 minute ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We definitely need a vet WR and someone who we feel confident that they can perform if DJ Moore and Samuel happen to miss multiple weeks. I feel like the 5 million is too high, but time will tell after free agency and seeing how he performs next year. 

I see. well, $5 million is not too high, it's just right. 

so imagine this for a second. A new owner meets with his coach and gm and asks them for a blueprint for the future and they come up with moving to a multi front look that will require a whole shift in focus for the defense and a few years to build up. 

owner approves and gives coach and gm 2-3 year window to perform said transformation and to get back to winning or be fired... believable or not???? 

2 minutes ago, WarPanthers89 said:

We definitely need a vet WR and someone who we feel confident that they can perform if DJ Moore and Samuel happen to miss multiple weeks.

Having watched last season, I have zero confidence that Torrey Smith can do that.

Just now, TheSpecialJuan said:

I see. well, $5 million is not too high, it's just right. 

I think everyone is freaking out about the price which does seem a little high, but everyone may flip script when we see the contract funch gets in a week compared to his production/maturity level last season. 

Archived