• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Rucker & Charles Johnson

NJPanthers12

Ruck & CJ Hall of Honor  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rucker and CJ be in HOH?

• Mike Rucker
    • Charles Johnson
    • Both
    • Neither

7 minutes ago, panthers101 said:

I would like to see Brad Hoooooooover in only because its not a flashy position and the guy did his job well.

This is a definition for who should not get in. Doing your job well does not constitute being in the hall of honor. I get he was a fan favorite and people liked to call his name out in the stadium but he was never spectacular. 

12 hours ago, NJPanthers12 said:

If we are talking retired players only, who are the true greats? The following are already in:

1. Steve Smith

2. Sam Mills

3. Jake Delhomme 

4. Jordan Gross

5. Wesley Walls

then I think it’s fair to say the following get in:

7. Julius Peppers

8. Ryan Kalil 

9. Muhsin Muhammad

and a majority of Panther fans voted yes to get him in

10. Mike Minter

anyone else you would include to those 10?

You'll have to include J. Stew as the franchise leading rusher because he just is. Was he our best running back ever? That's debatable but #'s don't lie.

2 hours ago, Mvp2014 said:

Nope i wouldnt even put delhomme in.  average qb

Only thing is he played the game of his life in the Superbowl. Jake and Brady were unstoppable. I have no doubt had Jake gotten the ball back we would have won that day, him and Moose were on fire.

During his tenure we would always get good Jake, bad Jake but when Jake was good he'd fool you into thinking he could be great but bad Jake ugh :eyeroll:

Jake was the reason they were the cardiac cats. They would tease you with flashes of greatness and last minute comebacks.

The good ol' days. I'd leave Jake in though.

6 hours ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Kasay will most likely be in the next class. Leading scorer in Panthers history and 15 years with the team. 

Agreed. The observer interviewed someone who was part of this process and said they came up with 8 players and then cut it down to 6 and then 4. He also said they did not consider any players who had not been retired for 2 seasons, which would exclude peppers, Kalil, Johnson, and Stewart.

there is no doubt in my mind the final 6 were the 4 who got inducted and Kasay and Muhammad. The question is who were the last 2. We can assume all 8 of those players will make it into the Hall of Honor.

the final 2 had to be out of Kevin Greene, Michael Bates, Mike Rucker, Mike Minter, Chris Gamble, and Kris Jenkins. 2 of these men will be in the HOH.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:53 PM, Dex said:

Neither, we can't go putting in every good player. Hall of honor is for the true greats!

But great what's?  Just great players or great Panthers?

I posted in the Minter thread that there isn't a consensus on whether we should include players based only on their on-field production, or also base it on their influence and importance to the team.

If you are talking about performance only, then yes, guys like Rucker shouldn't make it in.  But if you take into account how important they were in the locker room and community, then Rucker should be included.  Guys like Rucker and Minter represented the organization in a way that very few have or will, and helped set the standard for how to be a Panther.  

IMO, we should include players that were special, and a clear notch above the average player, not only on the field, but off it as well.  As such, I would vote Rucker in.  CJ, on the other hand, was a very good player for us, and was solid in the locker room, but I don't know if he ever was special in either way.  So, I am a bit torn on him.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:58 PM, NJPanthers12 said:

If we are talking retired players only, who are the true greats? The following are already in:

1. Steve Smith

2. Sam Mills

3. Jake Delhomme 

4. Jordan Gross

5. Wesley Walls

then I think it’s fair to say the following get in:

7. Julius Peppers

8. Ryan Kalil 

9. Muhsin Muhammad

and a majority of Panther fans voted yes to get him in

10. Mike Minter

anyone else you would include to those 10?

Man we got three Saints on that list

Peppers only spent half his career with the Panthers, but because he came back I think he'll get a nod for the HOH. Rucker and Johnson are both good players but not all time greats considering the fact we're comparing two players that had very similar careers that came right after each other.

29 minutes ago, panthers101 said:

Not only was Brad a workhorse for Stephen Davis he held his own for 10 years. Kinda like Gross and Kalil

Except nothing like gross or kalil, no pro bowls, no all pros, he was just a good player. Good players do not go into the HoH. So poo me again i guess because your boy was just a fan favorite in carolina.

Gross , 3x pro bowler, 1x all pro

Kalil , 5x pro bowler , 2x 1st team all pro, 1x 2nd team all pro

Hoover people liked to chant his name?

One of these is not like the others.

On 5/9/2019 at 11:35 PM, Moo Daeng said:

Nah...cant just put every decent starter in. They need to be Panther icons and leaders.

Mike Rucker, to me, is an iconic member of the 2003 team. He also is an iconic member of the time period in Panthers history because of his visibility for a Defensive player. 

Charles Johnson had one decent season and strung together some spectacularly unspectacular consistent seasons but he was never someone you were going to miss. 

On 5/10/2019 at 4:11 PM, NJPanthers12 said:

Agreed. The observer interviewed someone who was part of this process and said they came up with 8 players and then cut it down to 6 and then 4. He also said they did not consider any players who had not been retired for 2 seasons, which would exclude peppers, Kalil, Johnson, and Stewart.

there is no doubt in my mind the final 6 were the 4 who got inducted and Kasay and Muhammad. The question is who were the last 2. We can assume all 8 of those players will make it into the Hall of Honor.

the final 2 had to be out of Kevin Greene, Michael Bates, Mike Rucker, Mike Minter, Chris Gamble, and Kris Jenkins. 2 of these men will be in the HOH.

John Kasey is probably the most iconic player for fans outside of Steve Smith. He isn't mentioned much but he was the model of consistency and an extremely reliable player and mainstay on the team. 

On 5/10/2019 at 9:42 AM, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd say yes to CJ, no to Rucker. Ruck only had two double digit sack seasons in his career. CJ had a five year stretch where he was one of the best DEs in the league only missing five consecutive double digits sack seasons by one sack in 2011 and 1.5 sacks in 2014. 

Rucker played 9 seasons, missing but 5 games and had 55.5 sacks (6.16 per season) and is #3 all time for the Panthers.

Johnson played 11 seasons, missing 33 games 67.5 sacks (6.13 per season) and is #2 all time for the Panthers.

You take one, you should take the other.

Archived