• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

MMQB Top 10 MLB List

CanadianCat

Not sure how many of you guys list to the MMQB NFL Podcast but they are doing their position ranking series.

Luke Kuechly was their #1 again this year, as he was in the last several years. Shaq was listed in the top 20's somewhere. 

Interestingly they talked about him already being a guaranteed HOF candidate. The next national discussion with him will be where does he stack up in the all time list. 

There are other linebackers that may stand out more in certain physical skills.  But he is #1 all time in being the captain of the defense and diagnosing plays. It must be so cool to play on a defense where he is calling out all the plays. 

Amazing to watch him pre snap in games.  

Lewis is the GOAT but LK is easily on track to surpass him and other greats like LT.

I say he is on track but those guys had really long careers and that’s what’s going to be the challenge. LK is still young and hard to say how how time be to him.

7 minutes ago, Lumps said:

Lewis is the GOAT but LK is easily on track to surpass him and other greats like LT.

I say he is on track but those guys had really long careers and that’s what’s going to be the challenge. LK is still young and hard to say how how time be to him.

Lawernce Taylor is the GOAT no if ands or buts about it. 

For me it's like comparing Manning to Brady with Keuchly and Lewis. Manning was by far the most cerebral QB to ever put on a helmet, but Brady is more over the top talent wise and physically. Both are easily in contention as top 5 QB of all time, but Brady has more rings. With BB as head coach, I think it's possible PM could have had 7 or 8 rings. I think Lewis had more physical ability in his time, but Luke makes up for what he lacks by comparison, with his ability visual gifts of play diagnosis. Either way, if he can play a full career, Luke could easily be in the top 5 MLB of all time conversation. 

If Luke can remain healthy, he could easily be one the all-time NFL leaders in tackles by the time he retires.  Right now he'a already cracked the top 100 and if he stays on course of 140 tackles this year (his average) Luke can crack the top 50 by the end of the season.  There's only 5 active players ahead of him, Bobby Wagner (only by a few tackles) and some guy named Thomas Davis.  Derrick Johnson, Antoine Bethea, and Eric Weddle are the others.  

Other players of note: Eugene Robinson #15, Sam Mills #20, Micheal Barrow #47, Thomas Davis and Reggie White are currently tied at #50.

All-time tackles stats

I can speak to post-1975. 

Lambert, Carson, Urlacher, Singletary, and Willis are all worthy of top 5 consideration. But I feel Luke has already surpassed them. None were the complete package Luke is. Only Lewis was, And the only way to catch him is longevity. I think both are the best MLBs I’ve ever seen. 

Hes played at such a high level and only played 7 seasons so far. 

Ray Lewis played 17 years and Urlacher played 13 seasons, those have to be the two best MLBs post 2000 era so far. 

I'd say its tough to expect him to play as long as Lewis did, but somewhere in the 10-15 range is probably expected. I'd say Luke needs about 3 more seasons of similar performance , so at least 10 years before he would be considered HoF worthy.  

He's definitely the best HoF candidate we have on the active roster thus far. Cam would easily be there with a Super Bowl win, but without one he probably needs to play for several more seasons to be in the conversation.

For any Panther drafted players, Peppers really should be first ballot. S.Smith should be in as well but it may take him some time. 

"yeah, I'm not putting anyone in Lawrence Taylor's class." "So... you can put EVERYONE down below that.""With alot of of respect to alot of of good players now, but we're talking Lawrence Taylor."...Bill Belichick October 17th 2018 

11 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Hes played at such a high level and only played 7 seasons so far. 

Ray Lewis played 17 years and Urlacher played 13 seasons, those have to be the two best MLBs post 2000 era so far. 

I'd say its tough to expect him to play as long as Lewis did, but somewhere in the 10-15 range is probably expected. I'd say Luke needs about 3 more seasons of similar performance , so at least 10 years before he would be considered HoF worthy.  

He's definitely the best HoF candidate we have on the active roster thus far. Cam would easily be there with a Super Bowl win, but without one he probably needs to play for several more seasons to be in the conversation.

For any Panther drafted players, Peppers really should be first ballot. S.Smith should be in as well but it may take him some time. 

If Sayers, Terrel Davis, etc.... are HOF worthy, Luke is already in. He stacks up to Butkus who played one more year. 

And I wasn’t going by accomplishments as much as watching theM play live. Lambert, Carson, and Singletary were great but also a product of some great surrounding talent. And none had the athletic ability of Urlacher, LK, or Lewis. During the 2000 playoffs, Lewis May have played as good as any defensive player ever. It was like there was 3 of him out there. 

With Luke, it’s that play against SEA in the 2015 playoffs when he broke up a pass 25 yards downfield on the sidelines. I truly believe there are only 3 MLBs ever that could possibly make that play. That’s why they are my top 3. 

1 hour ago, bandu said:

Lawernce Taylor is the GOAT no if ands or buts about it. 

Yeah, not a UNC fan like that. Although I do respect their program. It's crazy to think they produced the best player of all time in basketball, and best player of all time (debatable) in football in Lawrence Taylor. 

Honestly, Mike Singletary was a beast back in the day, one of the all time greats and even though Lawrence Taylor could wreck a whole team, he was a handful and played off script rather than dictating one. LT was a force of nature, Samurai Mike was a tactician and a battler. 

Dick Butkus, another one of the great Chicago LBs,  has to be on the short list as best to ever play the game. He was so feared that if he charged the line before the snap, it was a 50/50 chance that one of the offensive linemen would wet themselves. He was mean, he was nasty, he would take a cheap shop when available and he punished opposing offensive players while still having it together enough to command the field. 

There's three guys that I might, might, say are better than Luke right now. He's in there, though, as one of the greatest based just on what he's done so far. Of the bunch, he's probably the best defensive field general, even though Singletary gives him a run for his money. 

Ray Lewis would probably drop to fifth on my list, with Urlacher in the top 10. Others in that (6-10) would be (in no particular order): Junior Seau, Derrick Brooks (a career cut tragically short), and a guy who played like one of the four horsemen of the apocalypse, Jack Ham.

There are guys who played earlier, but I can really only work with who I've seen in real games. 

Archived