• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Grier is settling in nicely

Jeremy Igo

12 hours ago, Black&BlueBubba said:

Grier’s accuracy in short quick routes is supposed to be his strength.  He puts the ball where the receiver is in perfect position to keep running.  

I hope this continues. Would be great if we had a quality backup with trade potential in the future.  

His skillset is a better match for the offense and personnel than Cam's--that doe not mean that he gets the job, but it means we could go into a short game if Cam gets hurt and do OK

16 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

The Panthers would love for him to win the #2 spot and if today is any indication that is possible.

This is great news. If Grier really does show out and clearly claim #2, we would almost certainly only carry 2 QBs on the 53. But if Grier is behind Allen or Heinicke, it will probably nécessitate carrying 3, as we will not expose Grier to PS.

I think we need the 3rd QB roster spot for front 7 depth with all the multiple combos they want on Defense. 3 QBs would probably mean cutting a promising guy like Obada or Cox Jr.

14 hours ago, panthers55 said:

What I remember was that the issue wasn't Cam starting, it was whether we were going to play football at all. With no off-season and only a truncated training camp it was unclear if Cam could be ready given some pundits thought it might take 2 years for him to become a starter and manage the position. Conversely given that Clausen was epically awful and lead us to a 2-14 mark what did we have to lose if we threw Cam in there. We knew what we had with Clausen and Cam was the number 1 player taken. We could have had anyone and we took Cam. Of course he was going to start. The question was only how soon.

Which was basically my point.  Everyone and their brother knew that Cam was going to be the eventual starter.  My original response was to the statement that Clausen almost beat out Cam for the starting spot when that wasn't the case at all.  He was just holding the spot until they were ready to insert Cam as starter.

Now, the CBA negotiations did throw a monkey wrench into the situation, and there were questions about how quickly they could get Cam ready.  However, at the time it was still pretty much understood that Cam was going to be the game one starter...after all, there was no way they could put Clausen in as the starter after his horrid 2010.  

10 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Which was basically my point.  Everyone and their brother knew that Cam was going to be the eventual starter.  My original response was to the statement that Clausen almost beat out Cam for the starting spot when that wasn't the case at all.  He was just holding the spot until they were ready to insert Cam as starter.

Now, the CBA negotiations did throw a monkey wrench into the situation, and there were questions about how quickly they could get Cam ready.  However, at the time it was still pretty much understood that Cam was going to be the game one starter...after all, there was no way they could put Clausen in as the starter after his horrid 2010.  

That is true. Clausen was terrible. If the other team got a 7 point lead there was no way we were coming back. It was incredibly depressing. Honestly it was worse to me than the 1-15 season.

1 minute ago, panthers55 said:

That is true. Clausen was terrible. If the other team got a 7 point lead there was no way we were coming back. It was incredibly depressing. Honestly it was worse to me than the 1-15 season.

The sad thing is that I honestly think he could have been ok in a true WCO.  He just didn't have the arm to succeed in our offense.  I also don't think he was mentally ready to be thrown to the wolves yet.  He would have been better off if he had a couple of years to learn and develop.

4 minutes ago, Woodie said:

The sad thing is that I honestly think he could have been ok in a true WCO.  He just didn't have the arm to succeed in our offense.  I also don't think he was mentally ready to be thrown to the wolves yet.  He would have been better off if he had a couple of years to learn and develop.

It does take a strong mind as well as body to succeed as a QB. That is a big reason teams struggle to find a franchise quarterback.

10 hours ago, MHS831 said:

His skillset is a better match for the offense and personnel than Cam's--that doe not mean that he gets the job, but it means we could go into a short game if Cam gets hurt and do OK

Maybe we should see him play a down or two before deciding if his skill set is better than Cam. Since the offense has been tailored and built for Cam I think you are wrong about the offense. But if Cam gets hurt Norv will adapt the offense to emphasize Grier's skill set like he did with Allen in week 17 and he does now for Cam 

Archived