• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Chad Cota feature story

ellis

5 hours ago, brandon_87 said:

If it wasn't for his interception to get us into the playoffs that year, nobody would know who the f*** he is. He was average at best

He was actually a very talented athlete. Didn’t get a chance to start until very late in that 96 season, as Pat Terrell and Brett Maxie held down both safety spots. 

Chad finished his career with 15 INT, 3 more in the playoffs for 18 total. He only started 85 games in his career. He retired at 31.

He’s not a Hall of Famer, and he wasn’t even a perennial pro-bowler. If you look at his contributions from a granular level in that 1996 season, one can’t help but be impressed at intensity of his play and timing of his takeaways. 

In an December divisional showdown at San Francisco, Cota picked off Steve Young to kill a 10+ play drive deep in Carolina territory, preserving an 8-point lead. This was the first series of the second half for the 49ers, who were desperately seeking some type of scoring in a close game.

Week 16, as chronicled in the article, Cota picked off Baltimore on the third play of the game, completely setting the tenor for the defense.

And then of course the pick against Stewart to ice the division.

And for good measure, he took one away from Troy Aikman in the playoffs: a critical interception on the Cowboys’ final drive of the first half trailing by three. A drive that was made possible by punter Rhon Stark, who bobbled the snap in the end zone for a safety. Deion Sanders  then returned the free kick into Carolina territory, swinging the momentum of the game in Dallas’ favor. Then, Cota did it again: a crucial interception a few plays later deep in Carolina territory, and returned it 49 yards into Dallas territory. This enabled a field goal from Kasey, negating the safety from two series earlier and extending their lead to 17-11.

It was a shame that he ever left Charlotte. He was a great guy and a tremendous leader. And not a bad football player. All I can say is over last two months of 1996, very few defensive backs played at his level.

Impressive for a back-up.

4 hours ago, BIGH2001 said:

Half this forum probably doesn't even know who he is. 

And their lost. Young fans could enjoy it alot better knowing the history of the Panthers over than just the stats of past players and games

I certainly appreciate your kind words. If this were a restaurant, I would consider these offerings the complementary bread-and-butter upon arrival.

By the way, Texas Roadhouse...ridiculously good bread and butter.  Fairly addictive. In the Quincy‘s neighborhood of quality dinner rolls. 

Let the good times roll.

250816C7-A318-449D-BA5D-D881CA75A188.gif

I remember places like Quincy’s and Ryan’s lol. Pop used to take us there after church on Sundays. He’d always get a ribeye, while getting my siblings and I the buffet. Would always complain that we never ate enough to justify getting the buffet

Archived