• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any “ The Athletic “subscribers?

panther4life

I’m on the free trial right now. It’s got some really good content. I’ve done more reading in the past 24 hours than I’ve done in a long time. I think I’ll find the best promo I can and subscribe. 

I’m sure there’s a way to skirt the system and get it for free but this seems to be a business worth supporting imo. 

I've been an Athletic subscriber since almost the beginning. got a great 50% off deal for the first year and just re-upped at normal price for another year. I'm very happy with it. they've recently implemented live box scores and etc, which means I can delete the garbage espn app off my phone. the content I read there daily is quite a bit more interesting than the stuff you find scattered around elsewhere. and imagine this, I can scroll through an entire story, watch relevant videos embedded in the content, and not be interrupted by stupid video ads and text ads literally getting in the way of the words. it's almost as if they care about the quality of their content, and not just about steering eyeballs to ad traps. a complete breath of fresh air tbh.

Addition of Jourdan with the discount pushed me over the edge - signed up for a year.  I think it will be good. I do wonder if they plan to carry 2 Panther reporters though - plus Hornets.  Seems like a lot in just Charlotte with an "iffy" business model.  Will take a lot of my "$35 a year"s in the area to pay 3 salaries..  and based on the few of us here that seems unlikely. 

5 hours ago, Obeg said:

Addition of Jourdan with the discount pushed me over the edge - signed up for a year.  I think it will be good. I do wonder if they plan to carry 2 Panther reporters though - plus Hornets.  Seems like a lot in just Charlotte with an "iffy" business model.  Will take a lot of my "$35 a year"s in the area to pay 3 salaries..  and based on the few of us here that seems unlikely. 

I just signed up too, for pretty much the same reason.  But I'm not so sure it's an iffy business model.  I think they have a detailed business plan, and are still in the early stages of implementation.

It seems to me that they are trying to corner the market on quality content.  They are hiring the best of the best, as well as poaching beat writers from the various markets.  IMO, I think they have a plan to change the face of journalism, and become THE source for in-depth news and investigations.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:54 PM, Obeg said:

Like Jeremy said they are running on venture capital right now and probably won’t be able to sustain the business model. They need to dip into fantasy sports advice because people are willing to pay a premium for that kind of reporting

3 minutes ago, hepcat said:

Like Jeremy said they are running on venture capital right now and probably won’t be able to sustain the business model. They need to dip into fantasy sports advice because people are willing to pay a premium for that kind of reporting

Or sports gambling. That industry is about to explode now that it is basically legal.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:39 AM, hepcat said:

The Athletic has a good size Fantasy Sports team with a good library of content that keeps growing by the day. Tons of Fantasy Football articles right now.

Archived