• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will Grier looking better than expected.

Jeremy Igo

It's incredibly premature to discuss the future of either the third round pick rookie QB before his first pre-season game, or to be discussing the future of our recently injured and hopefully healed incumbent QB who has taken us to the Super Bowl.

Patience. Time tells all tales.

About 2 weeks before the draft, i made peace with the notion grier at 100th pick is perfectly fine. Panther where the only team NOT to draft a QB during Cams stay, most have drafted a few. Look at the Green bay/Pats, 2s, 3s, 7s while a prime HOF was holding down the QB spot. 

Glad early returns are positive.

10 hours ago, dpm0409 said:

Good problems to have if Grier does pan out to be legit.

I'd take a Favre/Rodgers situation or a Brady/Garoppolo situation.  Both benefit the Panthers in either a legit starting QB when Cam is done OR Cam plays much longer than anyone expects him to (and plays well) and then we cash in on trade assets.  I'm good with it.

I think one reason for drafting Grier was to replace Cam. Cam will be asking BIG money if he comes back this season and plays well, will Tepper want to pay that should be the question. If healthy what could the team get if they trade him sooner than later? Remember Teppers previous line of work, is Cam's shoulder worth the gamble of investing BIG money if there is this worth replacement? And I've never been a Cam hater,  just looking at the possibilities.

1 hour ago, GoPanthers123 said:

That’s a relief. At the time I thought we have Cam and Allen so why don’t we draft a safety or another position of need. Maybe he can develop into a solid QB.

Well duh. Good you're getting over the, 'why didn't we draft an safety mindset?', at least.

2 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

When you have a 3rd round rookie QB competing with former UDFAs who have very limited NFL game experience, I think the standard expectation is for that rookie to win the backup job.

Not according to most on here, who seemed to think Allen was Tom Brady 2.0 after Week 17 and that Grier had no chance of beating him out for second. I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying people shouldn't have counted the guy out after two mini-camp practices like I saw a couple dumbasses do on Twitter.

11 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Not according to most on here, who seemed to think Allen was Tom Brady 2.0 after Week 17 and that Grier had no chance of beating him out for second. I'm not saying he will, I'm just saying people shouldn't have counted the guy out after two mini-camp practices like I saw a couple dumbasses do on Twitter.

Dumbasses gonna dumbass. That's a universal truth.

I like Grier a lot, but this is kind of crazy how people are already going all-in on a barely third round pick prospect that hasn't even made noise in camp. From what I've read is he's had some okay throws, a couple good throws, that's it. I haven't seen anything to suggest he's killing it in training camp, and only seen two twitter videos that showed his arm. It's not even pre-season yet guys. Same with Little, one bad drill gets posted, repeated, and everyone's talking like he's a surefire bust, that needs to move to guard to have any chance in the NFL. This is just naive.

Also, personally, I'm not sure if Grier can hold up to NFL hits. After seeing those kids get knocked out of the game last season it's a reality that some people aren't made for the NFL. Grier has looked tiny standing next to Cam and Allen. Maybe he'll get the calls from officials that'll protect him like Matt Ryan. Or maybe he'll take the sack like Ryan, where if even a hint of a hit is coming he goes limp like a Woody doll.

18 minutes ago, Woodman80 said:

After I had posted I wished I had phrased as "harder to fathom".

Most people don't remember how good Drew Bledsoe was. 

Bledsoe was the #1 pick in the 1993 NFL draft.  He started as a rookie (not the norm back then) and led the Patriots to the playoffs his first year (Pat's had missed playoffs the previous 7 seasons).  2 years later he took the Patriots all the way to the Super Bowl (lost to Packers) and the team made the playoffs 4 of Bledsoe's first 5 years.  Bledsoe was selected to the Pro-Bowl in 3 of his first 4 seasons and the fastest in NFL history to 10,000 yards (20,000 yards too).

In the offseason prior to the 2001 season Bledsoe signed a 10-year, $103 million contract, at the time the largest contract in the history of the NFL.  He got hurt in game 2 of the 2001 season (only his 8th season) and Brady came in to back him up....Bledsoe was never the patriots #1 QB again.    He did go on to make another 70 starts for the Bills and Cowboys --- the guy was a helluva QB and had a great career.

The point being, if it can happen to a guy like Bledsoe, it can to anyone.

If Cam comes back healthy all this is much ado about nothing.  If he doesn't, anything can happen. 

In the event Cam is not healthy is it probable that Grier steps in and fulfills the role in a manner that Cam becomes expendable? 

Of course it's not.

Is it possible? 

Absolutely. 

Excellent post - great points. 

Archived